Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Space Rangers

Space Rangers The lavish mix of an intense space RPG with 3D real-time strategy.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:34 AM
Registered Member

The russian page says that it's non-commercial, so they, russians, get it for free...

I wish sb could translate that pack, but it is indeed hard job, as even current english SR2 Reboot has bad syntax, is poor comparing to russian text and I also noticed some typos.

And since SR2 came out on 2006, Reboot was released in 2009, so that means, Revolution may or may not be released in 2012..
Old 06-19-2011, 01:02 PM
Approved Member

They should just offer to engage a translator and charge us a fee. I would easily pay $20 for that.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:53 AM
Registered Member

Erm, do you even have any idea, how difficult is it to translate THAT russian text into english? I can understand and read a bit russian and I'm not the only one, who noticed the poor translation work in english SR2. Professional job will cost a lot more than 20$.

But then again, despite the fact that SR2 is amazingly addicting game, it still has lost its value, well it does cost only 9$ now, while more popular games cost near 100$.. 1C company might think, if will it even be worth to release that expansion if expenses will exceed the profit..

Oh well, I still hope for the best, that the new expansion will be released to english SR2 someday...
But this makes me ask, how do they create expansions for that game? What tools do they use? Maybe I could make my own expansion instead...
Old 06-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertix View Post
Erm, do you even have any idea, how difficult is it to translate THAT russian text into english? I can understand and read a bit russian and I'm not the only one, who noticed the poor translation work in english SR2. Professional job will cost a lot more than 20$.

But then again, despite the fact that SR2 is amazingly addicting game, it still has lost its value, well it does cost only 9$ now, while more popular games cost near 100$.. 1C company might think, if will it even be worth to release that expansion if expenses will exceed the profit..

Oh well, I still hope for the best, that the new expansion will be released to english SR2 someday...
But this makes me ask, how do they create expansions for that game? What tools do they use? Maybe I could make my own expansion instead...
I meant $20 for the expansion which I am guessing everyone in the admittedly small niche world of SR2 enthusiasts would be willing to pay but small quibble.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

Hello everyone, I'm Yakov "ru_maniac" Uvarov - one of the Revolution's developers. I'm here to make everything clear as much as possible.

For starters, right now we simply can't afford any translation, no matter how much it might cost. It's simply because that for today Revolution contains approx. 7-8 mbytes of pure text. You gotta understand - these texts are not just some column in your everyday newspaper, it's work of art which is pretty difficult to translate to any other language, not just English, and huge amount of this work doesn't really helps. You just have to accept the fact that Revolution probably will never be translated. All members of our team are sincerely sorry for such kind of inconvenience, but there's virtually nothing that we can do for you except for further conversations on our forum - you all know the address, I suppose.

Some of you folks as I can see pretty interested about what software we are using in our work. Mostly it's our own homebrew programms made few years ago when Russian SR2 community was more or less alive, but few pieces of tools were given by the developers themselves. But mostly we are using what we've done with our own hands: for instance, resource editor, animation conversion tools and our records table (gamers' hall-of-fame, ladder, whatever you prefer) were written from scratch.

If you'll have any questions related to Revolution, I'd be happy to help.

Last edited by ru_maniac; 06-28-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:34 PM
Registered Member

Sad news, indeed.

I have also question (and request) about tools. Do you have any editor that would work with English Dominators/Reboot version and allow unpack text quests, then repack them back into appropriate file? there is a guy called Starcleaver who is cleaning up (and made a darn good job I must say) SR2 English translation, but he cannot do anything about text adventures, because lack of tools. Could you somehow help him out? Here is his topic on totalgaming.net, where he mentions the issues he has (also in last post). He had also a topic on Steam boards also, if it helps.

Last edited by Valis; 06-29-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valis View Post
Sad news, indeed.

I have also question (and request) about tools. Do you have any editor that would work with English Dominators/Reboot version and allow unpack text quests, then repack them back into appropriate file? there is a guy called Starcleaver who is cleaning up (and made a darn good job I must say) SR2 English translation, but he cannot do anything about text adventures, because lack of tools. Could you somehow help him out? Here is his topic on totalgaming.net, where he mentions the issues he has (also in last post). He had also a topic on Steam boards also, if it helps.
Since I'm not registred neither on Stardock nor Steam forums, I have to answer here. Yes, there's text adventures editor called TGE, for "Text Games Editor", and it's freely available for anyone. The package includes the editor itself, equations calculator and export\import tool, which is able to dump all quest text into one *.txt or *.rtf file, which later, of course, could be imported back into the quest map (the *.qm file).

Because one of ex-members of our team no longer paying for the server on which rangers.ru was located, I've uploaded archive to our own site - here's link (7-Zip self-extractable, 1.21 Mbytes). The only downside I can foresee - all these tools available in Russian only. I've no info about any homebrew translation of them.

Since all the *.qm files are stored inside *.pkg-archives, Starcleaver should also use SR ResEditor in order to be able unpack PKG, made necessary changes, and build new archive.

Last edited by ru_maniac; 06-30-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, ru_maniac. I'm going to try contact with Starcleaver to send him link to your message and utility.
[edit]
ru_maniac, I have one more question. Is there any "easy way" to disable "orange items" in SR2:Reboot? I've always found them very overpowered and game braking (btw. I heard that Revolution "fixed" this issue, could you describe how?).

Last edited by Valis; 06-30-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:48 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru_maniac View Post
Hello everyone, I'm Yakov "ru_maniac" Uvarov - one of the Revolution's developers. I'm here to make everything clear as much as possible.

For starters, right now we simply can't afford any translation, no matter how much it might cost. It's simply because that for today Revolution contains approx. 7-8 mbytes of pure text. You gotta understand - these texts are not just some column in your everyday newspaper, it's work of art which is pretty difficult to translate to any other language, not just English, and huge amount of this work doesn't really helps. You just have to accept the fact that Revolution probably will never be translated. All members of our team are sincerely sorry for such kind of inconvenience, but there's virtually nothing that we can do for you except for further conversations on our forum - you all know the address, I suppose.

Some of you folks as I can see pretty interested about what software we are using in our work. Mostly it's our own homebrew programms made few years ago when Russian SR2 community was more or less alive, but few pieces of tools were given by the developers themselves. But mostly we are using what we've done with our own hands: for instance, resource editor, animation conversion tools and our records table (gamers' hall-of-fame, ladder, whatever you prefer) were written from scratch.

If you'll have any questions related to Revolution, I'd be happy to help.
A real tragedy. 1C should just hire you guys to do SR3.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valis View Post
ru_maniac, I have one more question. Is there any "easy way" to disable "orange items" in SR2:Reboot? I've always found them very overpowered and game braking (btw. I heard that Revolution "fixed" this issue, could you describe how?).
All equipment is defined within \cfg\Main.dat and \cfg\Rus.dat. In order to change equipment's description and\or bonuses or simply remove entry, you have to decompile them via running rangers.exe with "extractcfg" command line key - that's what basically did Starcleaver when extracted game texts for translation.

Please note that all *.dat files will be dumped into single*.txt.

Speaking about Revolution - we just replaced all disbalanced equipment with our brand-new, including re-balanced bonuses.