Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > NecroVisioN

NecroVisioN First-person shooter. The year is 1916. Young private fights enemy soldiers, vampires and demons on the battlefields of World War I and underground.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

Lightbulb How to IMPROVE the next Necrovision/FPS

Hello, I am the author of this test of the game : Test on Nofrag.com, but it is in French.

I just wanted to pinpoint a few facts the developpers should know about, if they want to make an even better game the next time.

The main problem is that the rythm of the game is too constant, so there are not enough intense fights that stand out from the others. The action is the same all the way during a level, everything just seems to repeat itself, but it really should vary.
There should be some places with fewer or weaker ennemies, and then suddenly, a room/an arena with a lot of them. And different waves of different ennemy combinations. There are too much waves of just one-two enemy types.

A good example is Serious Sam. You fight your way quite easily to a big room, and in the big room you fight different waves of different kinds/combinations of enemies.

In a nutshell : differences in rythm, arenas with waves of different enemy combinations. It should not feel repetitive with the same fights and enemy encounters for a too long time. Diversity is the key !

The sniper parts where also a bit easy, there should have been some good enemy snipers at some point, or flying creatures for example dropping beasts that chase the player in close combat.

Apart from that ? The game was great, intense gameplay even if the beginning is very classic. The monster and environment design was good. The fights and weapons were a real pleasure, and the souls to regain health was a very good idea as it made the player be able to concentrate on the kills and not on his health.
The adventure part was very original, like good old games from the past.

Last edited by rgk; 08-21-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:40 AM
Registered Member

I tend to agree... diversity is very important in a game so that the player will remain interested. I thought there was a good amount of diversity in the earlier levels when you're above ground (those were the best, I think.) The underground levels were interesting too, but that's when the gameplay became kind of repetitive, in my opinion. The German soldiers who used several different character models were replaced by the Vampire Warriors who only had one model. The barbed wire zombie, a truly gruesome and nightmarish enemy, was overused and that detracted from its impact. Same thing with the Vampire Beast, who was intimidating at first but later became mostly annoying. (And whatever happened to that other barbed wire freak who only appeared in the introductory trailer?)

That said, I really liked the overall diversity in NecroVision... it had more types of enemies, weapons, etc than most games I've played, and it kept introducing new things as the player progressed. Though I suppose it wouldn't have hurt to throw a few more types of enemies and environments into the mix.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:21 PM
Approved Member

I WANT MORE Necrovision, make it & make MP fun to play just like SP is.
That's about it for me, MAke MP play with the weapons you have in SP, GoodLuck trying to balance that all out.

I don't doubt for a second that the next NecroVision will be any less fun, these guys know how to make a fun game.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:51 AM
Approved Member

probably going to be a while until there is another necrovision, if ever. at least from thefarm51. their next proper in-house game now is called Alien Fear. they are working with city interactive on that, not 1c.

I think the balance of intense fights and other things was pretty good in the first game. lost company is really uneven. but the good levels in lost company are way better than anything in the first game. but the plane/tank levels and that are just a bit weird.

edit: oh didn't notice how old the posts in here were. hehe.