Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Elven Legacy (sequel to Fantasy Wars)

Elven Legacy (sequel to Fantasy Wars) Sequel to Fantasy Wars. Turn-based strategy game set in a fantasy world.

Old 09-21-2019, 11:37 AM
Approved Member

Default Map editor help, please?

Prologue.
I recently re-installed Fantasy wars for my kids to play. I discovered it has a map editor. I tried to make multiplayer maps, set a starting amount of money to buy units and have them fight. They loved it, great, it's basically a tabletop wargame on my pc without having to make scenery and paint miniatures.

I discovered Elven Legacy exists. I immediately bought the Collection, played the basic campaign, loved the added variety of units and locations. The map showed promises for an extremely awesome wargame. And then...

GENERATOR FILE NOT FOUND

Talk about wracking a father's hope.
After hours of online research I'm quite sure there's no way to fix it. That's by far the most brutal disappointment in the history of gaming.
Is there a solution for this? @Nike-it?
Old 10-03-2019, 08:24 PM
Approved Member

Default Helped myself

I'm not the kind of guy who gives up easily, even if software issues can't be solved through intimidation and force of will. Anyway I found a solution. Well, let's say two-thirds of a solution.
Fantasy Wars had a map editor too, which is still available for download.
The EL map editor gets stuck only if it needs to generate the landscape. This doesn't include putting units, tasks, rewards or diplomacy.
So my incomplete solution is this.
Create a map using the FW editor, and use the generator function.
Copy the map folder and paste it in the EL appropriate folder.
Work on the map without changing the appearence of a single hex This is the key, don't modify terrain, buildings or scenery.
Save the map.
This allows me to use the EL editor with all new functions such as "diplomacy" and all the units. Sadly, cool EL terrain features such as palm trees, ancient elven castles or Teya and Gilven cursing each other can't be used.

And so I can create fancy battlefields where my kids can indulge in joyous brotherly conflict.

Last edited by Doc Feral; 10-06-2019 at 01:22 PM.