Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 11-26-2019, 12:23 PM
Approved Member

Default He177

Hello

I flew the 177 online yesterday, they added it to the Prokhorovka map. (they spell it different on the server, Pribaltika).

two things:

One: I thought that was a four engine bomber, there are two engines in each cowling
"What's curious is how Heinkel tried to solve the inevitable engineering challenges that derived from the dive-bombing requirement. Heinkel gave the He 177 four DB 601 engines interconnected in two pairs, with each pair responsible for powering a single propeller".
but it only gives 200pts when shot down. I'm not a points fan, but I am a consistency fan.

Second, the gun positions are brutal, zero fov, (all the German bombers seem to be like that, the ju87 seems like it would be useless unless the plane attacks you from right behind a little to the left or right) & in the bottom position when you rotate past 0 deg either way it moves to a different gun sight. Very disorienting, & the top turret is just a telescope cross hair.

I was able to get some shots off at a attacking plane, but only because I had F6 to locate it from out side the plane then back into turret to try and guess where it might be from that position.

It is a beautiful model, and flies nice, and would be a good addition to that bomber formation idea i have. You will not be trying to turn fight anyone in that plane. Keeping it level is your best strategy, to let the A.I. gunners do all the work with out being thrown around the plane.
Like all Heavy Bombers, alt is the key, make them climb into the thin air.

Cheers!

Last edited by Music; 11-26-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:33 PM
Approved Member

upper turret is hard to use from start .. need a little training for aim on different distance ... when you have Sight in one place and gun barell in some other place it's hard to hit target .. a little awkward ))

and i hope we will replace tail turret to "real" pit some day ...

Old 11-26-2019, 01:26 PM
Approved Member

I find the Tail turret in most planes to be the best position to jump into, both FoV wise, and it's easier to keep the plane level once you get used to left is right and right is left.

And most guys will attack from that angle after their first pass if they do have alt when attacking. Level Bombers flying at 300km/ph are hard to keep up with. Having 20 or more guns firing at you makes it that much more difficult.

The bottom Turrent on the B-24 should also be good, but again, you can't see anything, and that gun site needs studying/training.

Did the Germans have the sophisticated system that the B-29 eventually employs, (not the radar obviously).

Good thing about that is the fighter will be aiming for the gun flashing, not the gunner who is a many meters back or front of the actual turrent.

I guess there is no reloading in those positions, just a belt and a few hundred bullets. I was being sparing when firing not wanting to empty the clip and having to wait to reload. Should have done a walk around before flying it against real people.

*(and the wingspars, can TD make those more sturdy, Don't know how many times a fighter has blown a wing off a heavy, when the only time I have seen that in "Guncam" footage is the B-24 that was apparently hit by a direct flack hit (I think they had a bomb dropped on them from a plane above, it happens fast and the footage is really grainy so hard to tell, but it really looks like the impact came from above)
(I have a German gun cam compilation and there are FW190's 109's and 110's parked on a bombers six just pouring bullets into it and other than small parts falling off, there is no real structural damage. It even has the Distance when the film starts and when the Bomber goes out of the frame. And the plane type both sides and the Fighter Pilots name. very grainy but gives a good idea of what a bomber formation looks like from a fighter cockpit )
Title : WW2 Jäger Greifen An! German Luftwaffe captured Gun Camera 1944

Last edited by Music; 11-26-2019 at 01:41 PM. Reason: *wing spars