Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King`s Bounty: Warriors of the North

King`s Bounty: Warriors of the North Next game in the award-winning King’s Bounty series

Old 02-17-2021, 07:45 PM
Approved Member

Default First time modding, first roadblock: How do I edit units?

I've tried my hand at customizing WotN 'Ice and Fire', and I have had some small succes in changing starting stats of heros, requirements for medals and even adding new items.

But I got stuck with modifing units.

I've come here for some learning and answers, but it seems a lot of good information is to be found on the legendary 'russian side of the forum', but I don't know how to reach that. I simply can not find the 'switch language' link on the forum. Is there some trick to it? And would it be feasable to find a specific answer using only translate websites? (I like to mod and am willing to learn, but learning a whole language is just a bridge too far )

I have found the 'druid_high.atom' file (that I am wanting to 'improve') in the ice_and_fire ses.kfs, but making changes to it doesn't seem to affect the unit in (a new one or an old save) game. Am i missing a step?
Old 02-18-2021, 08:28 AM
Approved Member

Well, I figured out why it didn't get into the game.
1: I was looking at the wrong number in-game
2: If you leave vanilla backups in a subdirectory of the sessions directory, they can override a file in the main directory.

But adding additional Abilities is still difficult.

Still looking for that russian forum.

Last edited by The_Grim_Sleeper; 02-18-2021 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:28 PM
Approved Member

Road blocks resolved!

So it turns out that these unit abilities and talents are coded all over the place.
For example, the 'run' talent is partially set inside the unit's .atom file, and partly in the unit_special_attacks.lua.
And those 'unit commander' abilities are mentioned in the .atom file, but those are just for show; the real moral parameters are found in the moral.txt and the &%^# unit_moral.lua doesn't seem to do anything apart from writing a nifty tooltip.
The actual code that translates the stat:moral to an combat effect is 'somewhere' in the arena.lua... but I have no clue as to how it works.

Still no idea howto reach our comrades... if you are one of them and are reading this, Priviet! I think.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:57 PM
Approved Member

Hi Grim Sleeper! The old russian forum was closed a long time ago. I've learned a lot about modding there, but regrettably it does not work anymore.
I guess you know russian, so I will give you a link to where one of my favorite mods is developed. And there is actually a theme there with questions about modding. It's very much active, so just try it. Still their mod is for Crosswords , but I guess they can help you. If you have a question about something , I can try helping you too, but I have forgotten much about the connections between all the files.

https://vk.com/modsport