Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King`s Bounty: Warriors of the North

King`s Bounty: Warriors of the North Next game in the award-winning King’s Bounty series

Old 08-21-2014, 08:12 PM
Approved Member

I've been playing Demoness with the early access since the end of June (my brother, Dave, had gotten me Dark Side for my birthday).

Since this is about no loss, here's my spoiler alert. If you don't want the game spoiled then don't read any further...

SPOILER GAP
END SPOILER GAP

These strategies below have resulted in no loss.

While obviously some things have changed since then and the release, I've been able to do all battles no loss so far and am now level 59.

The keys are to use the abilities of your units to their fullest through the Whitehill battles as well as opting for damaging skills and medals (i.e. Trap was instrumental in all the battles through Whitehill). Also if you have spells, you should be using them every turn to either damage or slow the enemy.

You couldn't go to the other areas through the Catacombs when I was playing so you had to make due with the units you could get from your starting location. Plus there was no way to get Demonologists from Atrixus (this must have changed) and I honestly have not even seen one the entire game, yet.

Since I didn't play the other classes, I can only speak of the Demoness, but there are a lot of similarities between the other classes with respect to troop availability and what you should strive towards.

I also did all the Atrixus, Catacombs, Dragandor, Shelter, and Whitehill battles (every single one including the Knight that kidnaps the demon child, the big spider stack in the Catacombs, all 3 Shelter battles, and the 3 Whitehill battles) with just the paltry starting units of Imps, Scoffer Imps, 5 Cerberi, 2 Demonesses, and 1 Demon. When I was playing earlier, you had to defeat all 3 Whitehill stacks before the Shelter would replenish, not just 1.

Also, forget about getting any decent level 4 troops in quantity of your race until you get to Monteville (where they will be Undead). Those Evil Beholders that you get from the Witch in Portland are going to be your best units until you get to Monteville. I actually had Assassins that I got from Inselburg for a brief period of time.

My army consisted of Imps, Scoffer Imps, Blood Priestesses, Cerberi, and Evil Beholders for my Portland play and then I swapped out the Blood Priestesses for Assassins when I got them. Your main goal is to do as many quests as possible with kiting / minimal fighting and then get the maps to the other islands of Inselburg and Monteville.

You will then be able to do more kiting and complete some quests to get the Mage for the shelter. Once you do that, focus on getting a Scroll of the Colossus and get yourself either 1 Red or Black Dragon or ArchDemon. Once you do this then focus on defeating the Dragon in Portland. The Dark Human troops are not available until you finish the Portland quests so you can forget about getting Dark Paladins until then.

For me, though, by the time I had Portland finished, I had defeated the Dragon and the 1 Red Dragon I used to defeat the Dragon was enough to make the game significantly easier.

Getting the healing spell is obviously a top priority since you can't resurrect level 5 troops and you'll need to get the dark version of heal to heal your ArchDemons as needed. Empathy is also a very good spell to get to keep damage to your level 5's to a minimum and protect you from Geyser / Armageddon. By the way, the description for Empathy is wrong - it can tie an Ally to an Enemy as well as an Ally.

You will also have the opportunity to get Scrolls of the Colossus and then you should try to get yourself ArchDemons. Once you get them, you can use their Volcano skill and ranged attackers will always attack the Volcano to destroy it. This is huge! For a while I had 2 or 3 ArchDemon stacks with a few Red and Black Dragons and sometimes Green Dragons and you can pretty much defeat most stacks with this group of troops.

Then once you get Dragon Riders, the game is pretty much over. They summon random dragon stacks and, here's the kicker, the skill is largely affected by your leadership and not the number of Dragon Riders in the stack. So I basically had two stacks of ArchDemons evenly split and three 1 Dragon Rider stacks and I was summoning like 7500 Leadership worth of Dragons at first. This is more than enough to defeat most stacks. The Dragon Riders are 100k gold each + 1 Princess, but I essentially have played almost the entire game with just 3 Dragon Riders and two ArchDemon stacks.

Also you will find the Call of Nature spell is seriously overpowered once your leadership gets in the 15 to 20k range. I am able to summon level 1-4 units with about 40k leadership now. They mow through everything and if that is not enough, summon another 40k stack next turn. Slap Mana Spring on them and you'll be able to recharge your mana for the next battle.

I've actually been a bit bored with it, since it is a bit tedious defeating stack after stack of "invincible" enemies this way. Put out the volcanoes, summon some dragons, use Call of Nature and repeat.

I also find the power of Bleeding, Freezing, etc. to cause way too much damage - the Dark Clot skill can literally cause several thousand damage to each affected stack each turn, depending on how large the stack is. The larger the better.

The only things to look out for are:
  1. Heroes with Geyser / Armageddon (I think I've counted 5 so far - use Empathy to split the damage to another troop)
  2. Rarely, Elf Hunters will move before your ArchDemons (so you'll need an artifact with -1 enemy initiative or you'll have to put some more points into the Warrior Onslaught skill

I'm hoping to finish the game in another couple of weeks - I don't have much time to play during the week so it is mostly on weekends.

So pretty much the challenge of the game is through Whitehill and then after that you shouldn't have much trouble. I do find some of the early quests interesting, but you get Dragon Riders before any of the other new units for the most part (it took me forever to get the Spy and they are lousy), the Amazons are neat, but once you get ArchDemons / Dragon Riders the other troops just pale in comparison to the power of that arrangement.

Hopefully they have made enough (or will continue to make) improvements to make the game better since I started back at the end of June. I actually really like the Dark units of each race (WotN / I&F should have done this), but it would be nice to change their abilities to be darker instead of being just the same.

I also (except for Call of Nature) continuously find both the Spells and Rage Skills to be lacking. I am maxed out with rage and have no problems being close to max rage at the end of a battle since there is really only 1 direct damage rage skill. The Vampire Rage skills are really hard to use since they damage your own troops. I'm hoping some rebalancing of spell power will help with the spells as I pretty much only use Call of Nature, Heal, Empathy, and Magic Spring. Orc Shield is really good for Black / Blue Dragons / Dragon Riders since they are immune to magic.

For one really large enemy stack of werewolves I used just 1 stack of ArchDemons + Invisibility and Dark Clot. That was probably when I was level 35 or so.

So if you can do no loss through Whitehill you should be able to do no loss through the entire game with just some slight variations of your army makeup once you get ArchDemons and later Dragon Riders..

/C\/C\
Old 08-21-2014, 11:41 PM
Approved Member

Thanks for that, Matt. I will be referring to your post as I get further into the game

Me, I kited around Atrixus and got some Demons (13 wanted to join me!) and some loot. I also thought I'd buy a Fireball spell for 5000 gold. Now I need to upgrade Chaos Magic past level 1. Another devious trick is to go through the portal to Tristem. There's an invincible troop right there that can't be kited, but now that I have the Tristem map I can sail there and kite my way around, right?
Old 08-22-2014, 01:15 AM
Approved Member

Seems our games are running similarly, mate

I opted against kiting the Portland guardians, cause they aren't that powerful anyway. I am using Scoffers, the starting 2 Demonesses (can't find any more), Demons, Demonoligists and Evil Beholders. I am getting um... re-used to the old KBAP tactic of kiting enemies into traps, as I have 4 at any point on the field, and I am not far away from a 5th. Swapping the best enemy archer unit is doing wonders too. Especially since I always try to swap them for a demon-summoned creature with a trap right behind it, lol - if you don't kill the ranged unit yourself, it will move a hex back and fall into the trap. Fun times

I haven't moved on to the other 2 islands, Inselburg and Monteville. I might do some scouting to see which ones provides better options.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:27 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhuangzi View Post
Thanks for that, Matt. I will be referring to your post as I get further into the game

Me, I kited around Atrixus and got some Demons (13 wanted to join me!) and some loot. I also thought I'd buy a Fireball spell for 5000 gold. Now I need to upgrade Chaos Magic past level 1. Another devious trick is to go through the portal to Tristem. There's an invincible troop right there that can't be kited, but now that I have the Tristem map I can sail there and kite my way around, right?
Wow! That's a ton of Demons! I was stuck with 1 Demon and 2 Demonesses for so long that when I finally was able to recruit them I was like forget it!

It is interesting that they now allow you to go through the portals to the other areas at the beginning as when I started, once you went to the catacombs, you could not go to any of the other places until you got their maps.

I couldn't even return to Atrixus because I was wanting to defeat the Knight that stole the demon child and it wouldn't let me go back. So then I just loaded an earlier save, rolled up my sleeves, and came up with a strategy to no loss him.

If memory serves, that fight got my another level and allowed me to do the big spider Catacombs stack and also made one of the Shelter or Whitehill fights easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGDobrev View Post
Seems our games are running similarly, mate

I opted against kiting the Portland guardians, cause they aren't that powerful anyway. I am using Scoffers, the starting 2 Demonesses (can't find any more), Demons, Demonoligists and Evil Beholders. I am getting um... re-used to the old KBAP tactic of kiting enemies into traps, as I have 4 at any point on the field, and I am not far away from a 5th. Swapping the best enemy archer unit is doing wonders too. Especially since I always try to swap them for a demon-summoned creature with a trap right behind it, lol - if you don't kill the ranged unit yourself, it will move a hex back and fall into the trap. Fun times

I haven't moved on to the other 2 islands, Inselburg and Monteville. I might do some scouting to see which ones provides better options.
That's nice that you were able to get a Demonologist (or more?) as I could have used some during my EA playthrough. And you're right that once you are "trained" by the 3 shelter fights and the 3 Whitehill fights you should be able to do most of the fights on Portland with your paltry squad.

That's how I felt, anyway, when I went there, although I did run around at first checking out getting better troops (Evil Beholders) and grabbing leadership flags, etc. to get more troops (at least Imps, Scoffer Imps, and Cerberi as I was stuck with just 1 Demon and 2 Demonesses).

I only got the first level of the trapper skill and with the Paladin (Spirit) skill I got 4 traps as the enemies start to get stronger where it is a lot harder to get them to die when they hit a trap. I think I'm like 10 deaths from getting to level 2 trapper, but I've way surpassed its usefulness.

Well, I hope you guys have fun and enjoy it. I do think it is better than WotN (I got I&F, but never played it) as I got tired of fighting Undead troops by about the time I got to Greenwort. After Guildford shows his true colors, I thought it would have been nice to see Undead variants of humans, dwarves, and elves and we now have them in DS!

/C\/C\
Old 08-22-2014, 06:10 AM
Approved Member

To me, traps are not for killing - I use them to hinder the enemy. If enemy falls into a trap, it can't hit you, and if it can't hit you, you are one step closer to winning the fight without losses. Simple as that

As for the demonologists, well, if that demonologist demoness in Atrixus had no demonologist troops, I would have had her change her profession But then again, no Call Collosus scroll for me yet.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:07 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
To me, traps are not for killing - I use them to hinder the enemy. If enemy falls into a trap, it can't hit you, and if it can't hit you, you are one step closer to winning the fight without losses. Simple as that
Yep you got it! It's just that you can't increase the medal without actually killing the stack so that's why I've pretty much been stuck at just 4. You really got to work to get the trapper skill up - been that way since AP.

Quote:
As for the demonologists, well, if that demonologist demoness in Atrixus had no demonologist troops, I would have had her change her profession But then again, no Call Collosus scroll for me yet.
Yes - you're fired!

I think that must be a new character since I never saw her - unless you're referring to Pacca. I forget her profession. Nice to hear that they added some Demonologists to Atrixus at the start. I tend to be a fan of summoner troops and probably would have enjoyed it more with a Demonologist or two at the start.

As far as Scrolls of Colossus are concerned, don't worry, you will get one once you find a mage for the magic department (he's in Inselburg). If you're really lucky, you'll swap out a navigation map for one before that.

/C\/C\
Old 08-22-2014, 09:03 AM
Approved Member

Wow, i really wonder how you did those 3 fights at whitehill Matt, I quickly assumed those were impossible to do. But at least you confirmed that there were 3 fights necessary before release. So next challenge is to do beginning with Orc class.

I'm level 60 atm (rushed learning) my pet is 60 (full level) and still have 2 island to do, and helvadia, and i guess those final fights at whitehill. Game is pretty boring atm, all i do is summon dragons from dragon riders, summon demons with demonologists, summon more demons with demons and watch summons kill everything, if fight is going slow i raise dead with necromancers for more damage. Wanted to swap out demons for archdemons but if they died i had no way of resurrecting them, so i scratched that idea.

At the moment planing my vampire play-through, have already prepared save with trap spell. If anyone wants the save, pm me no battles were played just got trap from talking to witch, and it took some reloads to get one.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:50 PM
Approved Member

Well, Matt, this NPC is very easy to miss. You know there are a few flying platforms in Atrixus. One of them leads to the traitor guy you need to eventually kill. There is another in the (middle?) of the map where the yellow circle-not-quite-pentagram thingy is, the area with the inn and the demon who had his son captured. If you take this flying platform, you will be taken to a small flying island where another Demonologist Demoness lives. She sells 4 spells in my game (Volcano, Armageddon and 2 weaker ones) + Demons and Demonologists.

Could have easily missed her out myself.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:47 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Well, Matt, this NPC is very easy to miss. You know there are a few flying platforms in Atrixus. One of them leads to the traitor guy you need to eventually kill. There is another in the (middle?) of the map where the yellow circle-not-quite-pentagram thingy is, the area with the inn and the demon who had his son captured. If you take this flying platform, you will be taken to a small flying island where another Demonologist Demoness lives. She sells 4 spells in my game (Volcano, Armageddon and 2 weaker ones) + Demons and Demonologists.

Could have easily missed her out myself.
Wow, I need to check this out. I love Demonologists.

In my game I have been able to grind my way through Portland now, killing everything on that island except for the fight against the 1 black dragon. Not sure how I can no loss this yet. So I'm off to Inselburg and Monteville for some goodies, then Atrixus to try to pick up some Demonologists. Then more grinding, I guess.

40 no loss fights done so far.

EDIT: yep, it's just like DG says, if you teleport to Atrixus you start on that yellow circle thingy, and there's a platform just off there which takes you up to the demonologist guy, Verdelet. He has 140 Demonologists, Volcano, Armageddon etc. So now I am very pleased with my team of Demonologists, Demons, Cerebuses, Scoffer Imps, Imps with my measly 2 Demonesses in reserve.

Last edited by Zhuangzi; 08-22-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:45 PM
Approved Member

I am progressing well so far. Tristem is a great location to open. Just go through the catacombs, poke your nose into Tristem (you will most likely aggro units on very narrow pathways, so you cant go past them), then go back into the catacombs. This is enough to open it as a location. Use Blackie to port you there - you won't regret it. I snagged 70 free orc Shamans, which seem to be quite OP. Thanks to adrenaline, their skills are available every round. I wouldn't go so far as to say it is broken, cause I have never played the orcs in the OOTM campaign that introduced adrenaline.

So right now I am sporting 2 Green Dragons (bought eggs), Demonologists, Necromancers, Shamans and Demons. Good times