Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcenzano View Post
I am so afraid this is the case. If so, I don´t think that we can expect a decent (not to mention good) dynamic campaing anytime soon.

It´s a pity because IMHO dynamic campaings, in wich flying is just a part of managing the air battle (resources, supplies,etc), take the game to a higher dimension.

Other tan that, CoD looks great and I am sure we all will have a lot of fun with it.
Agree. No doubt it will be a blast either way and it's actually going to be released!
Old 02-03-2011, 02:05 PM
Approved Member

No problem, scripted campaigns are more interesting IMHO.
I hope that the campaign isn´t too short.(probably it covers BoB day-by-day)
Old 02-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Approved Member

I'm not really surprised, its an element desired in the inital release but considering this is probably (hopefully) the first installment of a long running series rather than the complete game it can wait untill later in a patch or intoduced in 'IL2 cliffs of the battle of the bulge or whatever.' If there is a later that is.....
Old 02-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by addman View Post
That's what I thought as well but then I thought "this game has been in development for a long time and there are no dynamic campaign at release".

That MIGHT mean:

1. They haven't even started work on one.
2. If they will release a dynamic campaign in an update, it might not be much to write home about since it's not something you do over a short period of time.
3. This time they have put A LOT of emphasise on the multiplayer.

As long as one of the components kicks *ss, I'm on!
It seems very obvious that the devs finally reached the conclusion that the full-featured game was just going to take too long to complete. Oleg stated last year that the game had to be released in 2010 (!) for financial reasons. They need to get some return on their investment.

Given that reality, decisions on what could be left out of the initial release had to be made. With limited time to devote to finishing and polishing a sub-set of features to release standard it seems that quite a few non-essential elements have been postponed - DX11 and the dynamic campaign being the two we know of so far.

The approach is entirely logical. I don't think there's any doubt that in time we'll get these features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addman View Post
That MIGHT mean:

1. They haven't even started work on one.
2. If they will release a dynamic campaign in an update, it might not be much to write home about since it's not something you do over a short period of time.
1. Possibly not
2. I'd say it's the reverse - we would be much more likely to get a poor quality version if they'd tried rushing it for the March release.

Their strategy is to focus on the essentials for a releasable game - bug-fixing, flight models, AI, terrain , etc, etc.

Would I prefer DX11 and full dynamic campaign at launch? Of course. But not at the expense of flaws and bugs elsewhere. I think we'll get a solid game initially, with a lot of upgrades to look forward to in the future.

Last edited by kendo65; 02-03-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Tvrdi

as an explicit onliner I really dont care....but I understand that it might be a bad news for some...
Old 02-03-2011, 02:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvrdi View Post
as an explicit onliner I really dont care....but I understand that it might be a bad news for some...
But there are also dynamic online campaigns

Youtube Profile: http://www.youtube.com/user/E69Qpassa
Old 02-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendo65 View Post
It seems very obvious that the devs finally reached the conclusion that the full-featured game was just going to take too long to complete. Oleg stated last year that the game had to be released in 2010 (!) for financial reasons. They need to get some return on their investment.

Given that reality, decisions on what could be left out of the initial release had to be made. With limited time to devote to finishing and polishing a sub-set of features to release standard it seems that quite a few non-essential elements have been postponed - DX11 and the dynamic campaign being the two we know of so far.

The approach is entirely logical. I don't think there's any doubt that in time we'll get these features.

1. Possibly not
2. Quite the reverse - we would be much more likely to get a poor quality version if they'd tried rushing it for the March release.

Their strategy is to focus on the essentials for a releasable game - bug-fixing, flight models, AI, terrain , etc, etc.

Would I prefer DX11 and full dynamic campaign at launch? Of course. But not at the expense of flaws and bugs elsewhere. I think we'll get a solid game initially, with a lot of upgrades to look forward to in the future.
I agree that removal of bugs and polishing is more important than releasing something half-arsed that's why I couldn't give a rats *ss about things like DX11 for example. Also, better to have super singleplayer component and a less then stellar multiplayer component -or the other way around- than two mediocre components.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Approved Member

Well, there is a second option, they have started working on one, its just not gonna be finished for release in march.

Last edited by Baron; 02-03-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

Well, isn't IL2 Cliffs of Dover multiplayer the new, "dynamic campaign, " if you will? What need is there of a dynamic campaign when you can have a persistent campaign online, that can go on for weeks or longer, against real people? Seems a lot more exciting than going against AI.

Last edited by NEWGUY; 02-03-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
Well, there is a second option, they have started working on one, its just not gonna be finished for release.
That's what the optimist inside of me is saying too.