Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-01-2011, 11:03 PM
Approved Member

Default Use a RAM drive to reduce stuttering

Acknowledgments first: here (JG52Krupi) and here (Ataros, post #37).

This is a method to create a virtual RAM drive which can be used to store some of the more accessed game files. I don't know how RAM speed compares with SSD speed? But many of us don't have SSDs yet. You will need some spare RAM that is not being used while the game is running.

The below test seems to reduce stuttering (no effect on FPS) during a quick free flight over Dover. I don't have time to continue testing just now but more later. Please let us know how you get on if you try it.

1. Download ImDisk from here: http://www.ltr-data.se/opencode.html/#ImDisk

2. Install ImDisk then open ImDisk from Control Panel

3. Mount Image. All you need to do is click on Gigabytes under Size of virtual disk and enter 1 in the text box. This will create a 1Gb virtual RAM drive with the drive letter F
Edit 335th_GRAthos notes: You need to have turned UAC (User Access Control) off to make this happen, otherwise you may get message "permission denied" (after the creation I turned UAC on and the system was working without problems).

4. Format the new drive in My Computer as NTFS

5. *Copy* whichever files you want over to the new RAM drive (I copied bob_3do.SFS, bob_buildings.SFS and bob_ground.SFS in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\parts\bob)
Edit 335th_GRAthos notes: When finished copying all the files you want, unmount the drive and REMOUNT ticking the option LOAD IMAGE TO RAM. This will make now everything stay in the RAM of your PC (without this option ticked, the image is loaded from your hard disk, which make no difference in performance). You can check if this worked as expected by watching the memory usage in your Task-Manager window.

6. Rename the HDD versions of the files with an -OLD extension (or whatever you want - don't delete them but you will need to rename or move them)

7. Download Link Shell Extension and the necessary runtime DLLs from this site: http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinks...kshellext.html

8. Open your new RAM drive (F: for me) in My Computer, right-click the file you want to create a link to and click Pick Link Source

9. Open the original steamapps CoD folder where the files are usually located, right click and click Drop Symbolic Link

10. Play the game

11. Let us know if it makes a difference or even if it doesn't, thanks.

Last edited by jimbop; 05-28-2011 at 11:26 AM.