Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King`s Bounty: Warriors of the North

King`s Bounty: Warriors of the North Next game in the award-winning King’s Bounty series

Old 11-07-2012, 03:35 PM
Approved Member

Default Are Lvl 5 Units viable anymore?

Without Rune Mages (Crossworlds version), seems like there is no way to resurrect Level 5 units easily besides Turn Back Time and maybe Gift (not sure how it works or if it works on Lvl5).

I'm still somewhat early stages of the game (lvl 25) and playing the Viking class.

Lower level units, IF they can get the +60 attack over their defense, were the most damaging units in the game, so it seems fast Lvl1-Lvl4 units are the best choice since they can be resurrected en-masse via paladin.

A real shame as I was one of the first guys to use the Shrek Build (giant) in Crossworlds.

For people who are further in the game than me right now, is Lvl5 unit availability and viability better/easier?
Old 11-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Approved Member

Well level 5 units trade damage for survivability.But since the battle is usually decided in the first round its kinda a moot point.My army consists of paladins/knights/inquisitors/rune mages/guardsmen and the guardsmen are the most damaging unit by far.

Lv 5 units are kinda pointless to me.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Approved Member

Level 5 units are probably bad for warrior, u dont gain much bonus from big atk/def. They can be nice for a mage but i wouldnt use them anyways. I saw pretty much all lvl 5 units in my game so avaibility isnt a problem for sure.
I'm using all level 4 army, and it's super strong.

I had some fun with new ice dragons but ditched them pretty fast.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:53 PM
Approved Member

Is there a way to rez 5th level unit here?
Old 11-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Approved Member

There is a Level 3 Distortion spell called "Turn Back Time" which can be used to revive a level 5 that isn't immune to magic.

It lets them "redo" the previous turn, so if they take any losses you let them go back to when they had no losses. It's a little tricky to use (e.g. you can't have any monster take the previous location it was in, or the spell won't work), but very powerful.

There seems to be a spell called "Gift" that can do the same, but not sure if it works for level 5 units or not.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:02 PM
Approved Member

I don’t have that spell yet, but since dragons(?) are magic resistant it won’t on them anyway,
thanks for replay
Old 11-07-2012, 05:16 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdamascus View Post
There seems to be a spell called "Gift" that can do the same, but not sure if it works for level 5 units or not.
Gift (which doesn't work for level 5 units) doesn't actually turn back time in the same fashion, all it does is reset all of a unit's abilities. So if you have a level 1-4 unit that has the ability to resurrect level 5 units (I believe Inquisitors still can?), you could use Gift to reset that ability so they could use it more than once, but it won't do anything to resurrect units on its own.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Approved Member

I think Turn Back Time does not work on black dragons, but it should work on emerald dragons (if they are still in this game).

Oh yeah, inquisitors, demonologists, old rune mages were ones who could resurrect level 5s. (I don't think it worked on black dragons though).

HMMMM then this is highly viable since I can artificially keep a high amount of those guys around.

The problem is some of the level 4s have new secondary abilities and they are QUITE good.

For example: Humans gets "adapability" which raises their base stat by a bonus percentage based on how well you know the terrain! This makes Horsemen very ideal shock troopers.

Assassins reworked their "kill counter" bonus of Crossworlds to a "familiar enemy" bonus. If you keep killing undead armies, you will get a bonus to attack/defense against undead.

I'm curious if some of the level 5s have new abilities.

Furthermore, a lot of level 5s have 'strange' abilities which aren't quantifable in simple "most attack".

e.g. piercing - hitting two stacks at once, poison gas, massive aoe on everything on the screen, etc.

While the game is 'easier', I think it will be a lot more fun with different builds and money to let you do said builds.

Maybe it is time for me to pick up some Ogres and Inquisitors...
Old 11-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Approved Member

I'm level 36ish, and been using an all level 5 army for about 15 levels. Blue, green, red, black dragons, and cyclopses or trolls. Works fine. I'd say the biggest issue with it at the moment is finding enough dragons to fill your army. Only ever seen 3 ice dragons, and 7 black dragons. Luckily (maybe) Greenwort had more than a dozen each of red and green.

I rarely have to redo a fight when losing a dragon, mostly due to my own stupidity (lulz, shooting ice dragons with overhit of red or black... good one brain).

Considering that Creation Magic lets stoneskin cap out at 52% physical resist from 40, it is even easier to build infinitely tanky units.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Approved Member

That is what I was afraid of. Not having enough units for me to fill up.

Greenwort, dragons? Where?!?! I thought I searched it and ... no dragons. Poo. I miss those things.

My first play through is a Viking for now, so no Creation Magic in my near future...

However, the Absolute Rage ability (chance to get 25% bonus to attack rating) is FAR more useful on a level 5 than on a lower level unit. Also, it is not that easy to get +60 attack over defense... I might have to re-crunch some numbers to see if Level 5s do have some sort of a future for me.