Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War

Men of War New World War II strategy game

Old 05-26-2012, 09:02 PM
Approved Member

Default Bad German Dialogue

One of the things I noticed about Men of War is that the German dialogue is littered with poor grammatical errors and poor syntax usage. "Feuer auf mein Kommando!" Is not real German at all. Kommando means a Commando unit behind the lines. I think the proper way would be "Feuer auf meinem Kommando!" Für das Vatterland would be "Für dem Vatterland!" in the accusative case of the German language. "Nimm das" is also wrong. The German word for "Take that" is DA, which confuses Russians obviously. The German dialogue is just way too cheesy. "Scheiße mein Bein." S***T my leg! "Das Ziel ist im Reichweite." I do not believe that´s correct either.

The game is too full of cheesy patriotic slogans that would be inappropriate in certain circumstances. I cannot imagine an American soldier saying "For the Motherland!" because that´s a Russian phrase, translated from "Za Rodinu." because Motherland is not an American concept of importance in our culture like it is in the Russian culture.

I believe that "Hilf Mir" is actually "Hilf Mich!" You say mich in that situation because "mich" is used in that case in German.
"Ich brauche eine Granate." I need a grenade. Other instances of German dialogue. I´m sorry, but "Nimm dass" is not correct German speech anymore than "The Machine Guns take the" Or "I´m being shotted at." (not actual game dialogue, me making fun of the German dialogue ingame.)

The German accent dialogue, with a strange Germanic accent with English is too cheesy for my tastes. Anyone else notice how cheesy the German dialogue is and how wrong it is?

Please make an MoW game with better German dialogue!

Last edited by Patchman123; 05-26-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:58 PM
Approved Member

It's true, the dialogues are hilarious. However, your examples of poor grammar are wrong. It is actually called "für das Vaterland", "nimm das", "Feuer auf mein Kommando" or "hilf mir".

Last edited by Aeon; 05-26-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:52 AM
Approved Member

Well the Shit my leg part, that is most likely what htey say when the guys get shot...But yeah, the voice acting in MoW is so bad I like it, its great for random laughs...my favorite is in the first russian mission when your guys attack that Machinegunner...
Old 05-27-2012, 01:44 PM
Approved Member

The German dialogue is correct. If at all, the German and Russian dialogues are the only ones with correct grammar.

"Feuer auf mein Kommando" means "fire at my orders| wait for my orders", or a temporary "hold fire" until orders change by implying this will happen soon. Therefore it could also be translated in "Get ready to fire".

Mich is not used in help me, as mir is a dative expression and defines the receiving person. Using mich is as bad as saying "help my".

Kommando means orders in that context and not commando unit.

German articles don't follow gender rules, they are the only grammatical part of the language that don't follow any rule, at least when it comes to defining genders. In case of Vaterland, the article relates to the last word in the word combination which is Vater + Land (father + country), and Land is "das Land". Therefore "das Vaterland".

"Nimm das" is correct too, not sure what you think "DA" is.

"Scheiße, mein Bein", means as much as "Shit! My leg!", it's nothing but a short expression of pain and while perhaps not an example of the beauty of the German language, absolutely common and correct.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

Haha, to be honest... is this a joke thread? You literally took all sentences that are RIGHT and turned them into sentenced that are WRONG
Old 05-29-2012, 12:49 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromancer View Post
Haha, to be honest... is this a joke thread? You literally took all sentences that are RIGHT and turned them into sentenced that are WRONG
Please explain to me, where I messed up. I thought the German dialogue was a joke anyway. I use dictionary. Hilf mir. Okay.

I thought that it was a joke, I really did. That's the point I was trying to make.

I think it needs more dialogue. That cheesy worn-out phrases. Da sind sie schon. What about that?
Old 07-13-2016, 09:44 AM
Registered Member

Talking

Omg you clearly have no concept of German grammer or language.

Yet you comment on it lol.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:18 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
It's true, the dialogues are hilarious. However, your examples of poor grammar are wrong. It is actually called "für das Vaterland", "nimm das", "Feuer auf mein Kommando" or "hilf mir".
What are YOU going to do about it? Of course, no one is going to have the German soldiers shout "Für der Führer!" instant ban over in Germany!

I don't hear the Soviet soldiers chanting "За Сталина," either. Of course, being how loathed Adolf Hitler and Josef Stalin truly are, of course it won't happen!
Old 06-12-2018, 12:20 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromancer View Post
Nein, das ist nicht eine Wiz! Mein deutsch ist nicht so gut. Tut mir leid!
Old 06-12-2018, 12:32 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMS|Instinct View Post
The German dialogue is correct. If at all, the German and Russian dialogues are the only ones with correct grammar.

"Feuer auf mein Kommando" means "fire at my orders| wait for my orders", or a temporary "hold fire" until orders change by implying this will happen soon. Therefore it could also be translated in "Get ready to fire".

Mich is not used in help me, as mir is a dative expression and defines the receiving person. Using mich is as bad as saying "help my".

Kommando means orders in that context and not commando unit.

German articles don't follow gender rules, they are the only grammatical part of the language that don't follow any rule, at least when it comes to defining genders. In case of Vaterland, the article relates to the last word in the word combination which is Vater + Land (father + country), and Land is "das Land". Therefore "das Vaterland".

"Nimm das" is correct too, not sure what you think "DA" is.

"Scheiße, mein Bein", means as much as "Shit! My leg!", it's nothing but a short expression of pain and while perhaps not an example of the beauty of the German language, absolutely common and correct.
Can't the German soldiers shout "Scheiße! Meine Arm!" or whatever body part(s) happen to be hit by certain bullets that are causing pain to that part of the body?

Can we have Soviet soldiers saying in the Russian version of a German accent "HANDE HOCH!"

Is it possible to have a Men of War game where you can capture prisoners and have them shipped to various POW camps behind the lines and out of the front line? Is it possible to have their surrenders be ACTUALLY accepted and have them taken prisoner if they are losing the battle and don't want to be killed.

I grow tired of this "kill 'em all" mentality prevalent in video games. How about losing points if you kill a prisoner?

Of course, the one part that bothers me about the Men of War series is that they do not show the various and well-documented war crimes committed by the Soviets and the Nazis and to show them within their proper context.

Evgeny Petrovich Kolesnikov's mother is raped by the German Wehrmacht and he hears news of this and it unnerves him and unsettles him, as it would anyone, mind you.

At least the Penal Battalions game shows the utterly inhumane treatment that many in the Red Army had to endure.

I do not want glorification of these war crimes, I just want them to affect the players in a negative way and make them fight HARDER AND HARDER against the enemy.

The rather odious and numerous war crimes are strangely absent in this game.

Yeah folks! This is Putin's "version" of history in these games! The history that everyone who has a shred of humanity knows about in the West and your bullshit denials of these atrocities aren't gonna change my mind!

I'm sorry!