Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Real Warfare 2: Northern Crusades

Real Warfare 2: Northern Crusades A new chapter in the Real Warfare realistic real-time strategy games series.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:13 PM
Approved Member

Post First Reactions of Real Warfare 2

Hello everybody!

Before reading; This is some thoughts and reactions, not a list of complaints, but surely things that needs to be adjusted.

This is actually the first game I've bought from 1C Company. So now I would like to spend some of my time expressing myself about the game.

First of all, it's impressive graphics. Especially the particle effects, very nice job!
Overall, the campaign map is well made, but there could indeed be some improvements. The first problems I've noticed is that I cant see what any unit costs until I press the Buy button (Same with it's upgrades), and I cannot see what my hero skill points does (Their effect, what they improve). I was quite sure the game would include that after looking on the gameplay videos (Or am I mistaking ). I will perhaps return to this part of my "review" later.

The controls: After having played the Total War games a long time, I was very disappointed on the battle controls in RW2. The first thing I noticed was that strafing only works in one direction simultaneously, which is very annoying. It gives the player a feeling of that he/she has plenty more flanks to defend, and it's aswell really hard to get a good overlook on the army. I really hope that is something you will adjust, so that one can strafe oblique up/down, because that is something really worth fixing since it'd give a much better experience of the game.
The Formations are quite fine, and for pikemen there should be added the Pikewall formation.

The battles: First of all, the battle graphics are impressive aswell, with very nice particle effects. When it comes to the battling itself, some things did not look good. My first bad experience was when I had to defeat a smaller group of bandits (One of the quests), and when the map had finally loaded, my Komtur spawned on a mountain, unable to move an inch. So I reloaded, hoping it would not be repeatively. But the same thing happened. So I reloaded again, and on the campaign map I gave the AI army some time to move a bit, so it would not be the same map. Guess what - exactly the same map, with my Komtur on the same mountain. Not a very good first impression from the game.
Continuing, the battle scales are very good, big, (which I believe everybody likes ) but the units acts *Sorry* retarded. They are way too close packed, It's like a spaghetti-ball rather than normal spaghetti. Can just as well be a flat one-man unit. This makes the units, even tho huge numbers, looking really small. Continuing, as I said above, the units acts "retarded". For example when giving an archer / crossbow orders to fire, the unit takes about half a minute to open fire, and it also moves forward a good bit even tho the enemy unit is 20 yards away... The volleys looks terrible, because they fire as one unit rather than 70 individuals (or however big it is depending on upgrades). The fact that arrows barely do any damage at all should also be mentioned.

I hope this feedback will be of use, thanks for a great game you've delivered, and I hope that it can be even better soon!

Regards

Last edited by ThisIsRealWarfare; 11-19-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Approved Member

What is strafing?
Old 11-19-2011, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

Still have to test battle, but that "retard" you mention would sound lot sensed to me. I hate that immediate order execution with little room to correct pianification. Anyway it's just a matter of taste here. The best thing would be to link order execution to distance from leader.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:25 PM
Approved Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strafing_%28gaming%29

This is an example of Strafing (See the moving picture). Note as it's not a strategy game they have put on example, but the princip is the same.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Approved Member

Another problem with upgrading, when I'm trying to upgrade for example my Crossbow unit to the better one, it says I dont have enough leadership. I have over 300 for now, and it requires 140... Does anyone else have this problem aswell?
Old 11-19-2011, 02:45 PM
Approved Member

No probably is not the leadership, but you are already to the limit of number of units for that category (example Militia). When your experience will reaise you will can acquire more units of superior category
Old 11-19-2011, 02:54 PM
Approved Member

Already checked, it didnt work. Apparently it did now (I havent changed anything). Guess it's a minor bug.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

I was fan of Total War series for years, since first Shogun TW. Now I found next title I delight to play.
- I very like the idea allowing moders to create their own versions of the game
- I very, very like the intelligent and complex factors which rules the engagement win/lose during tactical battles
- I like economic system of the game...

I played few hours and are very glad that I decided to buy your game. Great Job!!

I like the idea of limiting factor of leadership for young Andreas von Velvern, but didn't understand the numbers...
Ochh, Mitra is right, I have reach the limit of units for that category, and I need to increase "Hero" level.

Best Regards from Poland for all players.. and RW2 creators!

Last edited by Krzych; 11-19-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:41 PM
Approved Member

Arrows don't always kill outright, but they wound. Look at enemy unit statistics after a volley and you'll see its wounded perventage has been increased (number of wounded warriors in the unit). Wounded are much less capable in melee and unit morale becomes lower. Eventually, losses from each volley will become more and more severe (since already wounded men will collapse from even a weak arrow hit that would only wound a healthy one).

If you fire from maximum distance, arrows have weak stopping power. If you have opportunity to fire closer, results will be more satisfying.

In addition, troops with shields can use them to, well, shield themselves from the incoming volley, unless you fire at them from a flank or rear. It opens another tactic - try to make enemy archers to fire at your poorest troops like irregulars from the front (since they have shields) and not at other more valuable units.

Also remember that you have pretty lousy archers at the start
Old 11-20-2011, 02:32 PM
Approved Member

Mmm yes that sounds good, and when you mention it I havent taken notice that many units gets wounded rather than dying so quickly by arrows. But I really think the unit are Way too close packed together, they should be much more outspread.
And the other thing that I cant get out of my head *Frustrated* is the strafing. It's really hard to get a clear picture of a battlefield if you have to rotate left and right and everywhere all the time, rather than just strafing for example left + down or right + down simultaneously, so you "zoom" out, if you get what I mean, and thereby you see your army in a much better and more interesting perspective.
And, the units responding time. It's so slow, (basically speaking of archer units), and they commit suicide rather than dealing damage since they somewhy advance all the way to enemy lines, which makes them a perfect target for even an infantry charge. (And the archers tend not to follow retreating orders, aswell as all other units)