Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads

Technical threads All discussions about technical issues

Old 09-17-2012, 07:22 AM
Approved Member

Default can i use a 2e small monitor to display a few gauges ?

i remember some people using this 2e monitor feature to display cockpit gauges in the later versions of the il2 series, and i also remember this was discussed with oleg in the leadup to the SoW series and he confirmed it would be included

is this working in CoD ? any of you using it ?

i hope to connect a small additional 1200 x 600 monitor to display 6 of the main gauges, and use the 2e video output on my gfx to do so
President Dwight D. Eisenhower 1953: Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone, it is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children
Old 09-17-2012, 07:32 AM
Approved Member

I asked the question about the Direct Input API. This would allow guages like in the original IL2.

I'm not sure if people have been able to get the info from the C# scripting.

It will be interesting to hear the answer.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:46 AM
Approved Member

now the thread has been moved down to the black hole of calcutta where never anybody looks

its not as if the main forum page is so busy with new posts it gets cluttered, at least give people a chance to get an answer and have it stay in the main forum for a few days
President Dwight D. Eisenhower 1953: Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone, it is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children
Old 09-17-2012, 09:57 AM
Approved Member

Point taken, I'll leave it here for a while
Old 09-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Approved Member

while it seems to be possible in theory, AFAIK no one has extracted the data available into a useable form.

I have been a big supporter of this idea through the life of IL2 and and would love to be able to use this with CoD- infact I would make gauge sets for all aircraft if there was the coding/application to do so.

I have looked at the coding needed (as a coding noob ) and to be honest the extraction of the data doesn't seem to be much of a problem, it's the ordering and outputting the data in a useable format that is the problem- in that it requires coding way above my abilities.
I would also prefer it to be an 'official' upgrade to ease the concerns from the 'purity of online experience' crowd, many of whom were 'somewhat anti' this idea in IL2

On a side note, using a second monitor on the main gaming machine was usually a problem with Il2- using a separate computer on a network to drive the gauges was a much better way of doing things (afaik this is due to udpspeed- the program most used in IL2- being a '2D' program and as such causes fps drops when running in conjunction with a '3D' program- the game.)
Old 09-17-2012, 11:32 AM
Approved Member

thanks uther
Old 09-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolox View Post
while it seems to be possible in theory, AFAIK no one has extracted the data available into a useable form.

I have been a big supporter of this idea through the life of IL2 and and would love to be able to use this with CoD- infact I would make gauge sets for all aircraft if there was the coding/application to do so.

I have looked at the coding needed (as a coding noob ) and to be honest the extraction of the data doesn't seem to be much of a problem, it's the ordering and outputting the data in a useable format that is the problem- in that it requires coding way above my abilities.
I would also prefer it to be an 'official' upgrade to ease the concerns from the 'purity of online experience' crowd, many of whom were 'somewhat anti' this idea in IL2

On a side note, using a second monitor on the main gaming machine was usually a problem with Il2- using a separate computer on a network to drive the gauges was a much better way of doing things (afaik this is due to udpspeed- the program most used in IL2- being a '2D' program and as such causes fps drops when running in conjunction with a '3D' program- the game.)
When COD was first released I tried to get communication sesion going with the UDP protocol. I had previously managed to get a delphi program up and running for a devicelink connection with the original IL2, But with COD I fell in well over my head in the smelly stuff of C#

A broken man I gave in and stopped trying.

There has to be someone around with the knowhow to get it working?

Cheers!
Old 09-17-2012, 12:56 PM
Approved Member

Afaik the issue with IL-2 was that, yes you could get all necessary info for the gauges with DeviceLink via udp/network - but (officially) only in offline mode (there is or was mod to bypass that limitation).

In CoD you can get at the info from within mission script, FearlessFrog demonstrated it here with Heading, Altitude, and Speed. Problem is, that it has to be part of the mission script, which means that you've to copy it (with FMB) into all missions you want to use it in. And if you're flying online it has to be part of the mission script on the the server...

Artist

-------------------------------------------------------------
Old 09-17-2012, 01:31 PM
Approved Member

Is this thread relevant? I don't have know anything about it, just remembered the thread: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=24856
Old 09-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Approved Member

gentlemen, now we are getting somewhere

artist,
thanks for the link, being able to already access some of the flight data sounds like a major step in the right direction

bolox,
thanks for the summary, i remember your nick from the old ubi forum discussing that feature at length. have you had a look at the link that artist posted and is that type of flight data access possible for some of the cockpit gauges ?

i have no programing or coding experience so am out of my depth on the practical side

if this currently would only work offline, thats a major step in the right direction, and it might be possible for some of the main online servers to implement it to in their setup later (untill luthier incorporates it as a feature). setups like this with separate display for cockpit gauges is possible in several of the major modern flightsims (DCS series, xplane etc), would be great if we can get it working for SoW