Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

View Poll Results: Do you like this HOLLYWOOD STYLE instant explosion?
Yes... 3 8.57%
No... 29 82.86%
Do i look like i care... 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Approved Member

Default "HOLLYWOOD STYLE" Instant Explosion...

Well, i heard Anton say something about that you explode instantly when you hit the ground to have more of a HOLLYWOOD look to it. And most people didn't like this so i thought i would start a poll. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, i ain't thinking properly right now...
Old 08-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Goalie_94 View Post
Well, i heard Anton say something about that you explode instantly when you hit the ground to have more of a HOLLYWOOD look to it. And most people didn't like this so i thought i would start a poll. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, i ain't thinking properly right now...
Actually I think he's being somewhat mis-understood on this matter. I don't get the impression that he thinks everything should be huge Hollywood explosions, but rather that the explosions were specifically a game-design decision to better communicate a 'win' and give greater satisfaction to the winning player (by seeing their enemy go up in flames). There are no ties or bitter-sweet victories in other words. This is a game about dogfighting specifically, and from what I've seen it doesn't matter if the other pilot walked away or not - his plane was shot down and that's what is important. In that context, it doesn't matter if the plane did a belly landing or exploded in mid-air, so it might as well explode so the other player can more easily tell they 'won', and get more satisfaction that the plane exploded.

That's not to say it wouldn't be interesting to get bonus points or something for crash landing - I'd be totally cool with that too. It'd be nice to have a multi-player arena with points that operated on pilots lost rather than planes - so you could get benefit by ditching a plane and living through it.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Approved Member

Yup hate it, because the explosions arnt even good, like crysis
Old 08-09-2009, 01:44 AM
Approved Member

I wouldn't mind as much if they had a good reason for the explosion, like a hail of bullets hitting your plane while on the ground. (Not bullets from a player, but from "offscreen")
Old 08-09-2009, 01:52 AM
Approved Member

then it would be skies all clear, you manage to land/belly land or attemp to and out of nowhere a random hail of bullets strikes you.

I understand the point were damaged planes explode if they are unable to take off, but i also think they could lessen the explosive type a bit.
So first you can slide over ground roll over couple of times and then BANG.
Wich is even more Hollywood style anyway in terms of michael bay!
Old 08-09-2009, 03:07 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepTrgt View Post
I understand the point were damaged planes explode if they are unable to take off,
I honestly think its a excuse, ive heard so many this one fits them, I really do think explosions are nice, but i prefer planes shattering to pieaces.

Last edited by sod16; 08-09-2009 at 03:13 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:28 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sod16 View Post
I honestly think its a excuse, ive heard so many this one fits them, I really do think explosions are nice, but i prefer planes shattering to pieaces.
I thought we were going to be able to crash land and watch our guys run away from the plane and take cover before it explodes.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:20 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepTrgt View Post
then it would be skies all clear, you manage to land/belly land or attemp to and out of nowhere a random hail of bullets strikes you.
Well they could have the game check if you can take off after you crash land, and if not, animate an enemy plane straffing you while your on the ground, after sitting still for a couple seconds. Also, if there was a way to have the "enemy plane" visible to only the one shot down, so as to not confuse the pilots in the air. This way the person who shot the plane down would know he's not comming back, and the one who was shot down has a reasonable reason to explode.

Last edited by Roboslob; 08-09-2009 at 05:59 AM. Reason: add
Old 08-09-2009, 07:06 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboslob View Post
Well they could have the game check if you can take off after you crash land, and if not, animate an enemy plane straffing you while your on the ground, after sitting still for a couple seconds. Also, if there was a way to have the "enemy plane" visible to only the one shot down, so as to not confuse the pilots in the air. This way the person who shot the plane down would know he's not comming back, and the one who was shot down has a reasonable reason to explode.
I really don't like any of these suggestions. To me it would be WAY more exciting if it didn't explode. What's cooler: a car crash the is shattering and has a million pieces or the cheesy Hollywood explosion as soon as the cars touch each other? This game is a sim and a plane should not explode if it TOUCHES the ground. It's even worse when you crash into water: it shows that far off view and the plane just looks juxtaposed onto the water, it doesn't look IN the water... I would much rather they just keep it in the pilot's seat and let you see the water splash around you... I don't like the lack of crash-landings AT ALL!
Old 08-09-2009, 08:01 AM
Approved Member

What I sugested is a hybrid shatter and explode, first you crash, then explode. The explosion is mainly for multiplayer. When playing online you're going to want to know if you shot someone down, or did he land. Which is easier to see as you zip by:
A) a damaged air plane tumbling along (fire would help visibilty)
B) an explosion