Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:34 PM
Approved Member

Should be called December fury, The worlds most powerful set of christmas lights

I found a racer that actually looks better than the stock plane.

Used to be a yak11 trainer

I Really like the Vampire from the Jet class too.
video...http://vimeo.com/27683437

XBL GT: - Robotic Pope
HyperLobby CS: - Robot_Pope

Last edited by Robotic Pope; 08-24-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Approved Member

Default Fly low. Go fast. Turn left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBoar44 View Post
Man you are so lucky........jump onto Interstate -5 turn right onto I-80 at Sacramento and 430miles later your there Bud !!!

Indeed, but for me it goes like this: straight on I-80 and 530 miles latter I'm (we) are there. The gear is ready:

DSLR(s) (HD video capable), check
wide angle lens for those close-ups at the pits, check
mid range telephoto for those tight turns, check
Big guy (300 mm), check

Forgive me I just had to pretend I'm a pilot going through preflight checklist for a moment

And here is the taste of it for those of you who will not attend the event this year, enjoy:

http://tinyurl.com/4xun84u
Old 08-24-2011, 10:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashLanding View Post
That's pretty sexy. Would be a blast to fly, I'm sure.

Couple questions from a writer who failed out of engineering college, how much difference does having two props make? I sort of understand why they spin different directions (spinning same direction would put too much pull on the frame left or right, correct?) but I'm interested to know how they got them spinning two directions on what appears to be one driveshaft.

Hi Crash...........

here is a close up, there are two shaft's, one inside the other, the red arrows are where the two shaft's interface.

The engineering principle is lost on me, i hope there is someone who can give the techno rundown. Although not applicable to this tuned engine anymore, it came from a Shackleton , the Griffon fitted utilised twin contrarotating props to harness the better torque this engine produced at lower rev's and give the aircraft better range, reliability and ecomony on its long sea going flights.

I asked the question and was told it would produce around 15% more power than a single prop, may not sound much but to go from 400 to 450mph is a massive step and i think it all helps.

I do know that bigger engines need bigger prop's, the Corsair is good example, prop so big that the wings were canted to accomodate it without huge undercart legs. The twin props fitted to Precious Metal are short cropped paddle type and I think it helps reduce frontal area , reduced torque effect, allow's them to spin faster and there is some vortec thing that happens with the second rear prop i dont understand.

hope someone can step in and give the difinitive answer !!!

Old 08-24-2011, 10:24 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila chrysaetos View Post
Indeed, but for me it goes like this: straight on I-80 and 530 miles latter I'm (we) are there. The gear is ready:

DSLR(s) (HD video capable), check
wide angle lens for those close-ups at the pits, check
mid range telephoto for those tight turns, check
Big guy (300 mm), check

Forgive me I just had to pretend I'm a pilot going through preflight checklist for a moment

And here is the taste of it for those of you who will not attend the event this year, enjoy:

http://tinyurl.com/4xun84u

If Precious Metal gets the build in time, and you are the LUCKY bloke to get to Reno............take some snaps me Amigo !!!!
Old 08-24-2011, 11:40 PM
Approved Member

some of the earliest modified ponies...from back in 45. look mom, no scoops!

http://www.warbirdaeropress.com/articles/race45.html

and sometimes it fly low, turn left, OH $#!T my wing just hit the ground....break and tumble, climb out and and clean your drawers. and you thought nascar or indy car wrecks were exciting???!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...unscathed.html
Old 08-25-2011, 03:18 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBoar44 View Post
I do know that bigger engines need bigger prop's, the Corsair is good example, prop so big that the wings were canted to accomodate it without huge undercart legs. The twin props fitted to Precious Metal are short cropped paddle type and I think it helps reduce frontal area , reduced torque effect, allow's them to spin faster and there is some vortec thing that happens with the second rear prop i dont understand.

hope someone can step in and give the difinitive answer !!!

The main problem with a long prop is that the tips go supersonic, which leads to a tremendous drop in efficiency and an increase in vibration. Even a little Cessna can make the tips go supersonic if you leave the RPM up too high. Twin counter rotating props would theoretically allow for more thrust to be produced at lower tip speeds, but I'm not sure if this would compensate for the added mechanical complexity. Seems like there would be a lot more counter rotating engines around if it really worked as advertised. Gotta admit though, that Griffon is mighty bad assed
Old 08-30-2011, 02:55 AM
Approved Member

Since we're on the subject of counter rotating props I just had to bring up this little bird. The interesting thing about the TU-95 is that the prop tips are supersonic throughout much of it’s flight envelope, and I’m not sure I understand how that works My guess is that so much thrust is produced by the section of prop that is subsonic that they are willing to put up with the problems associated with supersonic tips. One thing that is certain is that all those sonic booms make the TU-95 one of the LOUDEST aircraft in history.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TU-95_2.jpg (56.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 08-30-2011, 03:22 AM
Approved Member

Pope,

I was there last year................yes they let me into their country..........it was completely AWESOME!

If you ever get a chance, Reno is where its at.

They run several dedicated racing classes.

Warbirds last rear included

P-51's
T-6 Texans
FW 190
Corsair
Tigercat
Bearcat (Rearbear)
Yak 3
Wildcat
Seafury
P-40

etc.........
Old 09-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Approved Member

Default Update

Precious Metal P51XR has taken to the sky's once more....

After initial start up's and ground run's.....she flew a few days ago
to a successful air test....

Thursday this week she (He?) will make the trip to Reno Nevada for the
air races beginning with qualification & practice shedule on Sunday 11th Sept

5 sleeps till Christmas then.....!!!!

Link here for full list of "unlimited" (Big Piston's to me an you ! ) class pilots & plane's...... Check out plane 145..... Yup now thats a class field !!!

http://reports.airrace.org/2011/2011...ft.Report.html

Last edited by WildBoar44; 09-06-2011 at 06:33 PM. Reason: speelink mistacs ....
Old 09-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Approved Member

Kinda sad that Dago Red isn't on the list this year. I understand that Frank Taylor had to sell her again though I hope I'm wrong.