Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Approved Member

Default 100% Hopeless

Yep, that's me.

First off, though, I'd like to say kudos to Rhino, I disconnected you on our first match after my PS3 froze.

But anyway, I'm noticing that no matter who I face, I'm being out turned, and generally out-fought completely. Perhaps it's my inability to counter the enemy's lag/pure pursuit tactics but maybe there's a little bit more.

I flew against Rhino today and I was completely destroyed. I have no idea how everyone is able to turn like Zeros. Perhaps I'm not maintaining corner speed in the Spitfire II I'm most often flying? Maybe there's a secret to the y-axis sensitivity that I haven't discovered? Maybe if I trim up, I can turn tighter? Perhaps when I'm turning as I'm diving, I should reduce throttle, and increase it as I turn upwards? No matter what I try, the enemy (Rhino in an La-5FN!!) could out turn my Spitfire II with no problem, or at least gain some kind of angle on me miracurously.

I flew a bit with Edal today too, but I was mostly forced to use BnZ since I was in an La-7 against his Hurricane. I don't know when the next time I'll be able to train, as I'm going back to school in a few days and I have a lot to do. Hopefully when March wraps up, I'll be back on.

But please, I need a LOT of help because frankly, I'm getting my butt handed to me, one round after the other and I'm quickly getting exhausted of failure.

Thanks!

Last edited by SgtPappy; 01-02-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Approved Member

Try flying against Mirgervin or Dhino - I swear those two have handbrakes in their planes

Mirgervin did tell me that corner speed is very important - to the tune of +/- 10kmph... I fly with aviator layout still though, so I can either have WEP, 55% or 0% as I'm unable to hold L2 or R2 at any kind of mid-level.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:59 PM
Approved Member

Whiterhino is an experienced player. I like to think the same for myself. Dont let this frustrate you. Try using ailerons sensibility "3", and elevator sensibility "6" for the Spitfires. Practice keeping your eye on the target by using the Aviator Layout which allows the ability of free look with the right analogue stick. Fly in virtual view if you are not already, at least until the get used to spotting the enemy by the constant help of the map.

1 vs 1 matches are not recommended for learning players, especially if going against experienced ones. Join my tournament if you have not already joined it, then, add all participants and you will always find many players to play with and practice to get better.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:06 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteStates View Post
Try flying against Mirgervin or Dhino - I swear those two have handbrakes in their planes

Mirgervin did tell me that corner speed is very important - to the tune of +/- 10kmph... I fly with aviator layout still though, so I can either have WEP, 55% or 0% as I'm unable to hold L2 or R2 at any kind of mid-level.
Again, I think I am more of a brute when flying, I do it all by instinct. I dont know much about any technical things. "corner speed +/- 10kph" I dont know what this means or how it helps, I just fly lol. However, when I figure all this out, may the gods have mercy for I will make so many cry from frustration just kidding, I will google this though hehe
Old 01-03-2010, 12:30 AM
Approved Member

Hm, perhaps it was Dhino I played against.

Ok, I will join your tourney, Edal, later after 2nd semester exams. Any tips for me in the meantime?

Right now, I'm not getting anywhere as the better players are eating me alive. So I guess sensitivity does play a part in flying but does trim do anything?

EDIT: Oh yea, and Happy Belated Birthday, Edal!!

Last edited by SgtPappy; 01-03-2010 at 01:47 AM.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:53 PM
Approved Member

Don't worry about the tnb fighters. Attacking bombers and winning CTA is a completely different story. Especially since the la7 is so fast.

It's because you had mentioned energy tactics that team USSR drafted you. I don't know all the details of what the battles will involve, but there will be attacking of bombers and capturing airfields, and the angles fighters tend to get slaughtered in those modes.

2nd semester exams is when... late march like most schools?
Old 01-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Approved Member

Yea, second semester ends around late march. It starts next week so I'll probably get the exam sched somewhere around that time. I guess, like Edal, the rest of you all learned the ropes through a LOT of practise? I played Jane's and Aces High with instinct, and though I never went online in IL-2 1946, I played the AI with the same simple 'feeling'.

Speaking of team USSR, I'd want to join that if I could get a Spitfire decked in VVS markings
Old 01-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtPappy View Post
Hm, perhaps it was Dhino I played against.

Ok, I will join your tourney, Edal, later after 2nd semester exams. Any tips for me in the meantime?

Right now, I'm not getting anywhere as the better players are eating me alive. So I guess sensitivity does play a part in flying but does trim do anything?

EDIT: Oh yea, and Happy Belated Birthday, Edal!!
trim does play a part in maneuovering but u shouldnt have to play w it too much - it helps in keeping a steady path depending on ur speed which is important to execute a good turn - and it will add or take away drag and lift - so basically reset ur trim it only when u need too make drastic speed changes from one move to another (like when executing a dive to distance ur opponent, reseting ur trim will give u a better acceleration, reducing drag and lift). Again dont use it too much cause ur plane will be a mess to control - just keep this on the back of ur mind and atticipate the speed and trim ull need on ur next move.

But the best advice was already given by the posters above: keep ur eyes on the opponent and watch ur speed. A perfecly executed reversal maneuver can get u on ur opponent'12 if u simply turned the wrong way or if ur goin too fast. Its a game of mistakes and the first one to capitalize on his opponents mistakes wins - to try n look out for them u must first b able to see the guy

Last edited by philabong2; 01-03-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Approved Member

I'm glad you found a way to land. Should that be an issue to begin with?
Old 01-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Approved Member

Indeed, seeing the enemy is one thing and having the ability to keep him in sight is another. I noticed that it's VERY difficult to BnZ, even with a superior climbing plane like a Spitfire IX. I just keep losing sight of the enemy.

I do like energy fighting and I noticed I really haven't been keeping my eyes on my speed. For the Spitfire II, I think the sweet spot for turning is around 175 - 185 mph. It's VERY hard to keep it there, but I noticed my turning has imporved a little ever since I've been trying to keep my speed in that area.

All this time, I've been turning at 200 mph when pulling up from the ground and < 140 mph when at the top of a loop. Big no-no.