Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Approved Member

Default 163 Komet: Dogfights vs BoP

I watched a Dogfights episode last night including a section about the Komet. I'd like to test some of the facts from the episode in BoP to see how they match up.

Fact 1. According to Dogfights the 163 could climb to combat altitude (40,000 ft) in around 3 minutes in a 70 degree climb.

Fact 2. The 163 pilot was able to defeat a Mosquito in a straight up turning fight.

I was thinking to test the first one I would try and land the 163 or get it as close as possible to landing (I might not be capable of landing and taking back off on sim with this plane). Then after gaining speed I would use the virtual cockpit to determine a 70 degree climb, and see how long it takes me to reach 40,000 ft.

For the second one I need to find a plane with a very similar performance to the mossie and engage it in a turning fight (simple enough). The only thing here is I'm not sure what plane to use, and I'm not sure what difficulty level I should set the AI to in order to simulate an average mossie pilot. These two questions, especially the one about the plane, is where I need some help from you guys.

So that's my plan, it's open for changing, so post your suggestions to make it better. Also, go ahead and try this yourself if you wish, it would be good to compare data, and also one of you might be able to get around to it before I can. It would be especially cool if someone recorded it.

Can't wait to see what we get for results.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:18 AM
Approved Member

The Komet took off on a wheeled dolly that was jettisonned after lift-off, so it's not possible to take off and immediately enter such a steep climb in BoP due to less speed and almost certainly a slip in the direction of the tilted wing.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:34 AM
Approved Member

True, and since you don't have the option of starting on the ground, and the 163 was never really made for landings, it might be hard or even impossible to do an exact simulation. I might try to get as close as I can though. I wonder if it'd be possible in 1946.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:41 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araqiel View Post
The Komet took off on a wheeled dolly that was jettisonned after lift-off, so it's not possible to take off and immediately enter such a steep climb in BoP due to less speed and almost certainly a slip in the direction of the tilted wing.
I was thinking about that as well, but as long as you have enough runway it doesn't really matter. It's just important you don't start counting untill after you've lifted off.
Rotation speed will be the same, whether you have wheels to help you or not, it just takes a little more time to reach that speed. The only problem would be if the limited fuel is very realistic and you can only fly for 7 mins .
Old 11-06-2009, 07:09 PM
Approved Member

The 163 Komet has got to be one of the coolest planes ever Kudos to the BoP team for including it in this game!
Old 11-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynlion View Post
The 163 Komet has got to be one of the coolest planes ever Kudos to the BoP team for including it in this game!
Meh, I just see it as a firework skyrocket gone out of hand, and without the fancy colors at the end .
Old 11-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Approved Member

Rocket powered sailplane with cannons! The world's first space shuttle! Now that's pretty bad assed

But I must admit I seldom use it for online matches. Maybe I just like it 'cause I have so much respect for the pre-nazi era German soaring tradition, they practically invented my favorite sport.