Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Other > Other Topics

Other Topics Feel free to discuss other topics here.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:02 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnomad View Post
I bought Arma2 because of COD as it was on steam and I had a new PC for COD. I love COD and contrary to most of the whiners here I feel I got my moneys worth with COD but not with ArmaII.

Why? Because the single player mode is a joke. I'm talking stock install here.

It should be called run around watching your AI team mates kill everyone that you can't see and then get killed while hiding in the grass via a headshot from a BMP that is driving 500 metres away at full speed.

Frustrating as $%#@! The BMPs are insane, they are like the terminator, the speed they will find you and kill you in seconds its just nuts, how did they ever release it like that?

I loved Operation Flashpoint but it also had crazy AI. They just have super vision and it really spoils it in terms of realism. I guess MP is where it's at with this. I often make my AI team hold and do everything single handed as they just attract too much attention with their bumbling or they kill everyone before I have a chance.

The graphics are lovely and it has it's moments but I think you need to mod and download, the stock install is lacking.

All sorts of problems that Operation Flashpoint had continue in Arma2, for instance when an AI enemy is in the middle of an action he will complete that action even if you shoot him. So lets say he's just climbing over a fence, you shoot him in the head he wont' go down till you shoot him when he's finished. I could go on all day about other frustrating elements of the game.

I also got Operation Arrowhead with it, and the campaign should be called, run around watching your AI team kill everything as well. I stopped when I was ordered to run from the airfield to one hamlet and then to the other and couldn't get a shot off as my AI team killed everyone at distances where I couldn't even see the enemy or IFF it. I felt more like a reporter than a team member.

Ahhh COD you are worth so much more.
How long have you had it? What difficulty level are you playing at? On easy, enemies show on the map. You can also order your squad to hold fire if you need to (space/hold fire).
I agree that the Ai can be crazy at times, but it sounds like you may need to better familiarise yourself with the command interface.

Apologies if you're an old hand at the game.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:54 AM
Approved Member

The AI on lower or moderate skill levels is much more realistic and can´t see through bushes (!!!) but through grass (what you can´t in 1st person mode).

Additionally, there are AI mods like ZeusAI, which make the AI using opincer and flanking maneuvers, usage of smokes to cover themselves, covering fire etc.
The more complex the AI is performing, the more CPU power it eats. With a dual core you can have serious problems in contrast to a Quad core which can spare one single CPU just for AI calculations. The more complex you wanna have your AI the more CPU calculation it needs. The ArmA 2 AI is an open world AI and stands in no contrast to limited environments like Battlefield, Call of Duty Crysis etc.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:02 PM
Approved Member

i must say that i agree with the frustration part. where it was mentioned seeing through long grass and other things. i played a mission where i sniped a guy at night time. the men started running about. then a heli came over dropped off 4 men that then started searching for me but never actually found me before i killed them all. but then u would get shot from miles away in other parts of the game. didnt make sence and yes flashpoint is the same. but u cant compare these to cod or crysis moh. u put 2 teams 15 men to a team and go to war on arma and u can have some fun.
infact i have steam i dont have arma linked to it though ile have to figure that out.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:33 PM
Approved Member

Arma has to be played in a very different way we'd play call of duty or any other shooter. Arma is 15 min of calm and 5 min of rush where you have no idea where bullets are coming from and this is basically the point of Arma you hear someone is shooting at you but the only thing you can see is how bullets bounce close to you while you are trying to stay low.
The AI can be disappointing sometimes, but overall Arma is the best of the best in tactical shooters. Not to mention that the mission editor allows us to create quick missions in minutes.

By the way people shouldn't really take reviews too seriously. The best that anyone can do is to install the game and try it for himself.

Last edited by jt_medina; 05-15-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Approved Member

Apparently there is a new trend of making games Free these days, so following ROF's F2P model arma 2 just went the same route.

http://www.arma2.com/free

Just fear for (even) more cheaters now that they won't have to buy cd-keys after a ban.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Hecke

well, it's a fairly down sized version of the real thing though.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:05 AM
Approved Member

ArmA 3 in game video from E3 :

Old 06-10-2011, 05:37 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by machoo View Post
Just a question , anybody here have ARMA2? If so can you run that with full detail? I tried this and it brought my computer down too it's knees. Ran about 6fps. The biggest killer was the draw distance , turn that right up and you have a COD scenario with an entire island visible if you are in a plane.

Arma2 has been out for years and computers still struggle with it. COD isnt doing too bad performance wise it's just unfinished. We shouldnt be too hard on the guys at 1C.
Hi,

I play ArmA 2 at full m8

CPU Intel i7 920 @ 2.67 -> OC 4 Ghz MB ASUS P6T Cooler Noctua NH-D14 Memory 12GB
GPU 2x nVidia 285 GTX 1GB SLI HD 2x SATAII WD VelociRaptor 150GB RAID 0
SB ASUS Xonar DS/DT 7.1 PSU Tagan 1100W OS W7 Ult.64 LCD LG W2284F-PF
TrackIR 3 Pro + Saitek X-52 + Saitek Pro Rudders Pedals + Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant + Saitek PcDash 2
Old 06-10-2011, 08:02 AM
Approved Member

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/invasion1944/...2da345331c1d9&

that gives me a ton of fun......