Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:55 PM
Approved Member

Yeah me too... however I enjoy studying those planes!
Old 01-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

Evening all.
Just got BoP and I'm still getting used to it after many years of merged FB/PF enjoyment on the PC. I have a question and a comment:

I assume the Saitek Aviator joystick and the other one (which I'd never heard of until today!) are the ONLY joysticks that will work on an Xbox? Plugged in my old Logitech Extreme 3D Pro PC stick, but nothing seemed to happen. Should the Xbox automatically recognise a suitable USB joystick in preference to the wireless gamepad? I need to sort this ASAP as I find flying using the gamepad just...aarrrrgh...Throttle and rudder on the same button; blimey.

Secondly, for discussion, am I right to think the environment in BoP is a taste of what we should expect in BoB Storm of War if it ever appears? It's an improvement FB for sure, but I'm really a bit disappointed. Rather like another contributor to this thread, I flew east from Dover, looking for Dungeness, the Romney Marsh and Rye where I live, and found no accurate detail at all. With smaller battlefields like BoB, you navigate as much with landmarks as with map and compass. That's certainly what happened in 1940. Given the years of discussion on Oleg Maddox Il2 forum about this subject, losing that detail seems a shame. But is it that important to anyone who doesn't live in Kent or Volgagrad?

However, it's great to see that the sim community is as lively on the xbox version as it has been on the PC. Lets hope there's a way for all this activity to feed into patches and add-ons .
Old 01-10-2010, 07:51 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashenden View Post
Evening all.
Just got BoP and I'm still getting used to it after many years of merged FB/PF enjoyment on the PC. I have a question and a comment:

I assume the Saitek Aviator joystick and the other one (which I'd never heard of until today!) are the ONLY joysticks that will work on an Xbox? Plugged in my old Logitech Extreme 3D Pro PC stick, but nothing seemed to happen. Should the Xbox automatically recognise a suitable USB joystick in preference to the wireless gamepad? I need to sort this ASAP as I find flying using the gamepad just...aarrrrgh...Throttle and rudder on the same button; blimey.

Secondly, for discussion, am I right to think the environment in BoP is a taste of what we should expect in BoB Storm of War if it ever appears? It's an improvement FB for sure, but I'm really a bit disappointed. Rather like another contributor to this thread, I flew east from Dover, looking for Dungeness, the Romney Marsh and Rye where I live, and found no accurate detail at all. With smaller battlefields like BoB, you navigate as much with landmarks as with map and compass. That's certainly what happened in 1940. Given the years of discussion on Oleg Maddox Il2 forum about this subject, losing that detail seems a shame. But is it that important to anyone who doesn't live in Kent or Volgagrad?

However, it's great to see that the sim community is as lively on the xbox version as it has been on the PC. Lets hope there's a way for all this activity to feed into patches and add-ons .
There is another thread Called "Tested PC sticks on PS3" and a member with the same stick seems to have it working although he is using the PS3 not the xbox as the PS3 has had an software update which I believe allows for more sticks to work....Xbox users apparently are still waiting for an update at this time.

As for your second statement I agree with you, a map of such a small area should be more accurate for many reasons including the one you mention.I would tend to believe or trust that Oleg and team would give us a more detailed map as they have in the past.

F_3
Old 01-11-2010, 08:07 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost cause View Post
I never realized that bombing the runway put craters in it. Are you sure about that? Besides, I'm talking about a partner or partners playing for the same trophy. Not really "playing" CTA.
Bombing anything puts craters in it. And even if the bombs are small, they also cover the runway with debris. That's in reality.

In BOP bombing a runway only ends up setting most of the runway on fire, and the wreckage all stays in the middle of the fires. So there's no craters, but there should be.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:31 AM
Approved Member

I would like to see a split screen mp mode me and my friend wanted to dogfigth each other here in my house and we couldnt cuz the mp is online only so hopefully next il-2 game will have it......
Old 01-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Registered Member

Question help am stuck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trk29 View Post
Nope, oh well.
i am a begginer at this game and i cant get past hornets nest any help please i love the game.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:41 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
i am a begginer at this game and i cant get past hornets nest any help please i love the game.
Try it on realistic (counter intuitive, I know) and adjust your elevator sensitivity to avoid stalling.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:10 AM
Approved Member

It is a growing tactic, once a side has captured an airfield, to bomb around any obstacles and hazards, on the airfield, so as they are obsucured by smoke and fire. This increases the chances of an enemy, attempting a landing, crashing into something thus foiling the capture attempt.

Buildings, watchtowers, shelters, haystacks, tents, etc. are all good targets.

Plastering the runway so that it is just a mess of smoke and fire does freak out the majortity of players enough to either screw up or not even try a landing.

Those able to use "The Force" or just plain crazy, will still try anyway.

On two field games it is wise to leave a bomber behind to bomb the captured airfield whilst everyone else roars off to attack the other airfield.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:08 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzergranate View Post
It is a growing tactic, once a side has captured an airfield, to bomb around any obstacles and hazards, on the airfield, so as they are obsucured by smoke and fire. This increases the chances of an enemy, attempting a landing, crashing into something thus foiling the capture attempt.

Buildings, watchtowers, shelters, haystacks, tents, etc. are all good targets.

Plastering the runway so that it is just a mess of smoke and fire does freak out the majortity of players enough to either screw up or not even try a landing.

Those able to use "The Force" or just plain crazy, will still try anyway.

On two field games it is wise to leave a bomber behind to bomb the captured airfield whilst everyone else roars off to attack the other airfield.
Those who have already memorized where the obstacles are will try anyway... I've had that tactic backfire on opponents quite a few times when I land and roll off to hide in the wreckage they created.

It's stupid for bombs to be allowed in CA - they should be patched out. Nobody bombs a runway they intend to land on in a few minutes.

But as long as people use bombs, you can always park your plane in the fire where it can't be seen.

The builders of Stalingrad City and Gumrak airfields tailor-made them hostile to capture, no need to bomb them when they're full of haystacks, various other invisible pointy objects, and little piles of rocks running down the center of the runway that will crash your plane if the wheels hit them.

Air travel would be a lot more exciting if all runways had such great obstacles.

Last edited by kozzm0; 01-24-2010 at 04:11 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:04 AM
Approved Member

Since so many people who get IL-2 run into problems with Hornet's Nest, here is a video. It's a webcam capture, with a bit of flicker and a few freezes, but it shows you exactly what to do to get all the planes without having to respawn and risk running out of time. The fighters will most likely get you before you can bomb the ground targets, but just use a couple extra attempts for that, you won't run out of time with that objective.

The music is good Soviet war music which any IL-2 pilot would have playing on their cockpit stereo.