Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Approved Member

Default Is there any chance that 'realistic' looking smoke can be added in a future update?

I'm just wondering if there could be a small update in one of the next patches that just gives a smoother rendition of smoke, instead of the current 2-D sprite effect that looks like straight lines when you pass through it?

Currently there are 'many' modifications that give different smoke effects and while I understand some are too intensive (and over the top), it does appear that the actual smoke trail effect has been mastered.

Is it at-all possible that a re-working of this that is seen to be suitable for the 'Vanilla' game could be added, just to make the smoke seem realistic?

Crossing my fingers, cheers, MP
Old 09-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Approved Member

could you please psot a picture of waht you have in mind?

to be fair the il2 stock sprite is indeed horrible when crossing it, but it looks good from distance, on the other hand mods i have tried usually look ugly and overdone from distance, and kind of nice when crossing.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:28 PM
Approved Member

Hopefully something like this so the Smoke is not too thick, and the fire is a little more 'firey'?

Old 09-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Approved Member

Frankly, I'm not so sure I like those effects. I wouldn't want a big hit to performance either (not everyone can afford a monster rig).

Unfortunately, that might be hard to toggle such an effect based on user preference. Some totally new system would have to be developed that is both better looking and well optimized.

I don't know if it's the best use of DT's time, but they've surprised us before
Old 09-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Approved Member

Just noticed your Avatar is the picture I took of me and Oleg (can't blame you for cutting me off it!).

The smoke effects really don't make a huge hit on FPS as it is still a 2D sprite, just remapped and modelled to look more authentic. The flame could be toned down a bit but it really is a case that it adds so-much to the immersion especially with Machines now having to be powerful enough to run CloD!

Check out this video to see what difference the smoke and flame effects make to the 10-year-old game engine!

Cheers, MP
Old 09-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticpuma View Post
JCheck out this video to see what difference the smoke and flame effects make to the 10-year-old game engine!
This video is post-processed (all kinds of blur added), so it doesn't show how actually those smokes look in game. The default smokes won't look far different, should a video with them post-processed in the same way, as this one.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:25 PM
Approved Member

the video was recorded with a mobile phone not post processed

here are modern effects for the game:

check the other vids too by socorrista22198 + HolyGrail & Potenz

Last edited by vpmedia; 09-09-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Check out this video to see what difference the smoke and flame effects make to the 10-year-old game engine!
To be honest, some of the effects look over done, to me anyway. The video was either post-processed, or shot with a camera, so it's not a completely fair comparison.

Quote:
here are modern effects for the game
Some aspects of these were highly over-done as well, including the shockwave effect of bomb hits, napalm explosion, and hit flashes. I do like that they figured out how to have the gear lower when the hydraulics are damaged. I'm not sure I liked the mid-air explosions (looks like Death Star blowing up). The fuel truck explosion looked very nice, but honestly looks a bit flat and doesn't fit in with the other effects.

The big issue to me is that those updates are going to grind my computer to a halt whenever a big boom happens

Quote:
Just noticed your Avatar is the picture I took of me and Oleg (can't blame you for cutting me off it!).
I didn't make the avatar, I just found it. I don't even know who the real author is
Old 09-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Approved Member

Romanator21, youre free to do better effects
Old 09-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Approved Member

I knew you would say that.

Trust me, I'm not criticizing them or saying they're bad. I just don't think I prefer them over the stock effects. That's all. No insults were meant.

EDIT - besides, I can have an opinion. Do I have to paint some cubist art before I say I don't like Picasso's stuff? Do I have to be a programmer to say that I don't like Windows XP?

The biggest issue for me is:

1) performance
2) [since I'm OCD] effects that match / aren't a collection of various works

Last edited by Romanator21; 09-09-2011 at 11:01 PM.