Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Fantasy Wars

Fantasy Wars Turn-based strategy. Gather an army, upgrade units, study magic spells, participate in castle sieges and assaults to destroy the great Orc Ugraum’s horde.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:58 AM
Registered Member

Default My review of FW 1:

Call me an "old timer", you know, those who cut their teeth on games such as the original Bard's Tale, the D&D Gold games of old, Fallout, X-Com: UFO Defense -- all the old classics that were turn-based RPG/Strategy. So, it was refreshing to find a game such as Fantasy Wars in a world where real-time FPS games rule.

The Gold/Silver/Bronze time-limit and limited number of units per mission in the game changes the entire dynamic of the players strategy. You simply can't sit in a castle/city, build up a massive army, and rule the world. Even on "Easy" mode, the game is pretty brutal in its difficulty -- frustrating at times, even.

The lack of documentation (as referenced before) is particularly frustrating. A player simply cannot map out a strategy by knowing what units upgrade to what, what perks are available for each unit, and unit stats. Because of the lack of documentation, the player is forced to try one strategy, only to find that it fails, thus, having to restart the mission using another strategy. This definitely takes away from the games enjoyment level as, after numerous restarts, you simply wish to break the CD.

It would seem easy for the design team to do a .pdf file with the unit stats, upgrade units and perks for each unit... post it to the forum and official site for download... and remove this game killing frustration.

I'm glad to see turn-based strategy games return for those of us who just don't get into the real-time games. Now, can we get some support for the game?
Old 08-12-2008, 01:09 AM
Approved Member

If you download the map editor you can look up unit information.

There are two charts in the back of the manual that explains what units are strongest on what terrain. You can notice how the AI places their units.

I've been playing through a map then replaying it with better unit selection and knowledge of enemy units to get golds. Doing that forces you to learn better unit placement.

There are some strategy posts on the forum that are useful.

The turn based strategy games I've played haven't been games that explain what to do. They assume you like puzzles and let you figure it out on your own. I've gotten frustrated with a some of them too. Mostly at the beginning before I figured out how to play them.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:43 AM
Registered Member

To note, I really enjoyed playing the game, but my interest slowly faded as I got further into the game.

I played through a large chunk of the game and nearly got to the end, but got bored. The timer system and exp system made me have to think 10 different moves and 3 moves ahead every time I made a turn.

Because experienced units unlock so many more abilities and upgrades, I definitely want to keep them alive, especially since death is permanent. But the problem is that I have to spend so much time planning what to do, how to beat the timer, how to kill all of the enemies within the time limit, how to keep all of my veteran units alive, and how to most effectively do it that it loses some of the fun.

Of course, this would all be different if I could somehow "res" a defeated unit after combat.

I would like the time limit to not be imposed upon every mission, only a few missions where a time limit does make sense, like rushing to save an allied town before it falls to the enemy. The time limit makes it harder to really sit back and enjoy the stage to the fullest, and especially hard to go an explore for little hidden secrets.

Also, maybe make it so that the player gains experience and then uses it to unlock unit ability and upgrades through some sort of skill tree, that will transfer to all of the specific unit type, rather than the individual unit gaining experience points. Either that, or allow me to ressurect defeated units after combat.

At one point in the game, I ended up NOT using my best units in my army and settling for my mid-level units, because they were full level and I felt that it would be a total waste to kill stuff with the max level units, because they can no longer gain any experience. So I had to settle with using lower level units, just so the experience from fighting enemy units did not go to waste.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:32 AM
Approved Member

Thumbs down Timers and Time Limits.

I am glad I just read this post because I too am looking for more of the same (RPG/strategy games) when you mentioned the timer that put me off completely.
I cannot enjoy ANY game that has countdown clock running against me. Possibly good during one or two quests in a game where you must do something within a time frame but the whole game - no!

I like to play at my speed not the designers.
Time limits - having to play according to a realtime timetable is what ruins my enjoyment of the Stronghold/Crusader series - the only saving grace there is an editor to make your own games.

I prefer to plan at my speed and enjoy the scenery as I play.

I hate clocks, timetables, schedules and countdowns in real life and I certainly don't want to be told by a game that I can't play/win unless I do so at the designers speed choice. At the least the game should have the option of playing without a timer going.

Of course, on the other hand for some players this adds to their joy of playing so it's good that it's available for them - just not for me!

Jinix the Elder

One man's poison ivy is another man's spinach.
George Ade
Old 10-20-2008, 12:23 PM
Approved Member

Jinx,

I don't want you to get the wrong impression. This game is turn-based, not real time, and the "time limit," involves the number of turns in which you must accomplish the mission in order to win. So, it's not like a "real-time" game, with a clock running down, causing you to have to rush thru your moves. You have plenty of time to consider what you want to do during your turn. It's just that, the quicker you accomplish the mission, the higher the level of victory you will achieve, and therefore, the better off you will be when you start the next mission. There are three levels of victory, so, if you fail to accomplish the mission quickly enough to win a "gold" victory, you can continue the game and hope for one of the lesser victories. And, it's not necessary to win a gold victory in every mission in order to complete the campaign and win the game--I know, because I've done so.

It's still possible you may not like this game, but I'd hate for you to pass it up because of a misconception.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrothgar View Post
Jinx,

I don't want you to get the wrong impression. This game is turn-based, not real time, and the "time limit," involves the number of turns in which you must accomplish the mission in order to win. So, it's not like a "real-time" game, with a clock running down, causing you to have to rush thru your moves. You have plenty of time to consider what you want to do during your turn. It's just that, the quicker you accomplish the mission, the higher the level of victory you will achieve, and therefore, the better off you will be when you start the next mission. There are three levels of victory, so, if you fail to accomplish the mission quickly enough to win a "gold" victory, you can continue the game and hope for one of the lesser victories. And, it's not necessary to win a gold victory in every mission in order to complete the campaign and win the game--I know, because I've done so.

It's still possible you may not like this game, but I'd hate for you to pass it up because of a misconception.
Is it possible to win the game without a gold victory though?