Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Theatre of War series

Theatre of War series The most historically accurate RTS games

Old 12-24-2010, 10:33 PM
Registered Member

Default Any New Maps/Campaigns?

Hey all

Well bought the ToW pack off steam and worked my way through Tow1 and Tow2 with all the expansions so now that I am done I am hungry for more. I have spent a lot of time searching for user created campaigns and the like since I am sure they are out there somewhere. However, I just can't seem to find any.

could someone kindly direct me to where I can find anything like this and if there isn't, it's a darn shame. I absolutely love ToW, only I found ToW2 (africa, centauro, kursk, caen) too short and some of the campaigns only starting to get interesting and then ending. And just cudos to ToW1, I mean a polish campaign, holy smokes, where else can you find a game with that! Love it.

I seem to remember seeing a El Alamein campaign somewhere when I first bought the game but I wanted to play the game first and when I went back I couldn't find where I had seen it, ARGH

Last edited by HerrPanzerCardinal; 12-24-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:42 PM
Approved Member

You have beaten entire ToW1, including Polish campaign? Just WOW.
There are a couple of user-made campaigns, for example Gnasher's British Bulldogs and Arzok's 'Uchronic campaign', i don't know about an El Alamein campaign though.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

Having played MoW and Red Tide it was pretty easy to jump into ToW. In retrospect though it probably wasn't the best idea to start with the Polish campaign on hardest mode, swear it took me a whole day of replaying the last Polish mission before beating it. But it did make every campaign after that seem like a cakewalk .

Have to say I like ToW a lot better than MoW. Although they are quite similar, I found MoW had too many commando style missions whereas I prefer the larger battles of ToW. I thought ToW1 was awesome, but it did make ToW2 somewhat disappointing in that it had fewer campaigns and the game didn't last as long. It took me substantially less time to beat all of ToW2 Africa+Kursk and the expansions Centauro+Caen than to beat ToW1. I am currently working on throwing extra missions into the campaigns to make them longer, my new German Kursk campaign is 25 battles long. But even as a veteran Hearts of Iron II/III, Civ 3/4, and Red Orchestra modder, I am finding it very difficult to decipher how to work the triggers in the mission editor.

I hear that the next ToW is going to be Korea which I am sure is going to be very interesting. But I hope this is not the beginning of a slide towards Vietnam and modern warfare to which a lot of WW2 game franchises have deserted. I really hope that after Korea, ToW returns to WW2 and all the great possibilities yet to explore instead of jumping on the modern warfare bandwagon which leaves classic gamers scratching their heads and uninterested.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Approved Member

Impressive, not many people nowadays will keep trying to beat a hard mission, most will just close a game after a couple of tries.
All triggers are described in Mission_Triggers.mht file (located in Steam\steamapps\common\theatre of war ii kursk 1943\MissionEditor folder), while Mission_Editor.mht contains useful tips on editing scenarios if you are serious about it
BTW, which campaign you liked most (in entire series) and which was the worst?
Old 01-04-2011, 04:50 AM
Registered Member

I discovered that readme this morning by chance and I think after reading it over a few more times I'll give the triggers another try. I really liked that last ToW1 Polish mission, eventually it came down to completing the first half, stealing a couple of pak guns, and hunkering down my entire army in the woods in the corner and letting the German counterattack come to me.

I wouldn't say there was a worst campaign, I simply love the game play too much to say there was a bad campaign. But, if I had to chose any of them that could have been improved beyond my standard wish that everything was much longer , I would have to say the British Campaign in ToW2 Africa seemed to have way too few missions. I would have to check again, it feels like it was 3 mission, barely into a flavour for the British and the campaign was over. And in ToW1 the Liberation of Belorussia seemed to lack a lot of the finer detail that the other campaigns had. Maybe it was just because one gets so many units, good tanks, all at once; it seemed to be unnecessary to do any planning and was simply spewing units at the enemy. But I wouldn't say either were bad, just not as good as the others.

As for my favourite campaigns, that is a hard one to nail down. Other than the 2 mentioned above, all the others were really great for different reasons. The 1st ToW campaigns were simply awesome, especially the Polish campaign, not so much for the game play or mission designs, after all no fancy JagdTigers or jawdropping tank forces, but where in what game do you ever get to play a Polish campaign or a 1940 French campaign? I really enjoyed playing those campaigns. I mean that is so cool. The Stuart Commander campaign was really good, but I wouldn't want to play an entire game like that, it was really fun to throw in to have a bit of a change up especially the last mission, trying to outguess where the next attack would come and trying to keep the outposts alive. I little annoying that it was a stuart though, I don't think I used any in a mission where I had a choice to use something else. 37mm gun, who thought that was a good idea lol. A Tiger campaign like that would be really fun.

I guess my next step in a ToW dream would be to follow around in different campaigns a German, Russian, American, or British unit from the beginning of the war to the end. Played out like Kursk where you carry over the personel and units from battle to battle and get new ones along the way. I am sure there were a few German divisions that saw action all over the place from 1939 to 1945. Bringing the same group of men and replacements through battles in Poland, Low Countries, France, Africa, the Balkans, Russia, western Europe, Germany. To go from Pzkpw Is to King Tigers. Perhaps some kind of open ended campaign utilising satellite maps as the basis for kinda like in Total War series where wherever you are fighting a battle it brings up the terrain. Using some kind of time saving algorithm to fill out forests and towns etc. Perhaps even teaming up with another company like Paradox to link their Hearts of Iron product with ToW. So as you play the HoI strategic level with techs, armies, production, etc you can choose to zoom into combat using ToW to generate the landscape and combat derived from the strategic level. Now that would be my dream job to work on. The perfect most complete WW2 experience ever. Better head off before I start sounding totally insane lol.

Perhaps I am wrong, I bought all the ToWs in a single Steam package so I am not sure what came first. But I think ToW2 Africa came out first and then ToW2 Kursk. One thing I missed was in Africa how you could reposition the Anti-Tank and MG entrenchments in the setup phase whereas in Kursk I think I only ever saw the MG bunkers that could be repositioned. I really liked being able to change the position of those, in one of the American defences maps I used a smaller MG entrenchment on top of a hill to give my 100 scout/100 accuracy sniper some cover. Now that was fun