Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Space Rangers

Space Rangers The lavish mix of an intense space RPG with 3D real-time strategy.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

I’ve decided to take on this challenge and must say it’s very tough….
My first game I did my normal setup of being a human merchant and must day I did not last very long.

For my second and third game I did Faeyan Mercenary. Tough at the start with very little money.

My second game filed pretty early on with the Dominators taking the one system near me and living me with just my starting system. It was just not enough and I decided to start over.

My third game I had two systems for about two years and about 50k cash with a nice size ship. I lost the research base though and after losing the second system I was stuck.

I think I went wrong with not buying into the research station and boosting it’s defenses.

I’m still being killed by the Dominators very fast and it’s pretty annoying. I need a faster ship but just can’t get anything above 450 speed.

Back to the drawing board…
Old 01-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

My 5th game is going very better.

I’m about two and a half years in and still alive

I started with 4 systems in flying distance. One was taken before my tutorial was us and I only visited the 3rd once before it was lost.
The second last system lasted a bit longer, since they did fight off one attack. Before I lost that system I was able to get some good trading going. I was able to buy a 360 hull ship and had about 12K cash left before that system fell. Something that really helped was the fact that I did not have to repay my loan since the business base was located there.

So with only my one system left I’m able to help fight the Dominators with my two missile launchers.

I made sure to protect the science base, since I’m selling all the Dominator equipment there for some desperately needed cash. I’m not really making anything from selling, it just covers fixing my ship after each battle. Since I have a large hull, between battles I’m taking full loads of food and other high volume items and making only a couple bucks per item.

I’ve fought off about 4 incoming attacks now and am hoping to get a 3rd missile launcher soon. Currently there are none available.

I’ve got two probes, but am saving all their findings until later when I’ll need the cash to buy a better ship. It’s slow going, jumping from one to the other planet in my single system, hoping to get a RTS mission.

Let the war continue…

I’ve played an additional half a year last night.

After accumulating about 30k gold, by buying in bulk, I was feeling very confident. Then thinks started to get difficult once again. The dominators came in force and I had to invest about 20k of that hard earned cash into my science lab to keep it alive. First 10k to get the rights to help them then another 10k in equipment purchases.

Well I guess it paid off, since I got to keep it alive.

New equipment finally started to show up, but now I can’t afford it again. I’ve also been playing 3 RTS maps in quick succession. I really need another system open….

It took me 10 years, but I finally have rescued another system.....

Last edited by TheSAguy; 01-17-2012 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Playing a little more
Old 02-29-2012, 05:39 AM
Registered Member

Great to see someone else giving this a go! I haven't played SR much, but plan to give it another shot.

In my next play through, I plan to just try to be more patient and wait till more missile launchers become available...probably around year 4 or so. I tend to get bored with it though since there are few missions to play with so few systems...

Hope to keep a science and military base alive.

Best of luck in your game.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

I did it!!
Took me forever, but finally got more systems freed and now it's just a matter of mopping up!

How I won was by keeping the scinece base alave and selling dominator parts there to make a living.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:18 PM
Approved Member

Default Interesting thread

This is an interesting thread. I just picked up SR2 again after several years not playing. I don't think I could really manage the harder levels because I figure ground battles would be necessary and I really stink at the RTS part of the game. I generally only play the training RTS mission and that just to get some money to get early upgrades and capital for trading.

I have figured out how to get a really good first few months and get all the non-cheat advantages I can but the RTS just kills me.

I'm not sure which version of SR2 you're playing. I have the old one. Can you still get the cool engine from the drone (IPX482?) in the training mission in the newer version? I generally replay killing the drone as many times as necessary to get that engine.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
This is an interesting thread. I just picked up SR2 again after several years not playing. I don't think I could really manage the harder levels because I figure ground battles would be necessary and I really stink at the RTS part of the game. I generally only play the training RTS mission and that just to get some money to get early upgrades and capital for trading.

I have figured out how to get a really good first few months and get all the non-cheat advantages I can but the RTS just kills me.

I'm not sure which version of SR2 you're playing. I have the old one. Can you still get the cool engine from the drone (IPX482?) in the training mission in the newer version? I generally replay killing the drone as many times as necessary to get that engine.
I think most people play Space Rangers 2: Reboot now.

You can pretty much avoid all the RTS games except for possibly the one against Terron near the end so it shouldn't be too bad.

The key at 200% seems to be to generally stay alive till better weapons/ships/parts come along, probably around year 4. So far for me, for some reason, Blazer and Terron attacks incredibly strongly that it's impossible to defend your home system if they were to attack. Keller is FAR FAR easier to defend against so luck plays a big part as well since there really is no way anyone can stand up to an attack of about 14 ships I've noticed. All the space stations fall very very quickly from their smallest ships and their disintegraters(sp?).

I just restarted again and am around year 1 after my last game ended when Terron wiped out my home system so so fast...
Old 03-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSAguy View Post
I did it!!
Took me forever, but finally got more systems freed and now it's just a matter of mopping up!

How I won was by keeping the scinece base alave and selling dominator parts there to make a living.
Congrats! What year are you in?
Old 06-08-2012, 11:25 PM
Approved Member

hi all i just read this post when i was doing the same (well i didnt do the ironwill i wanted the maximum score too )

some note: dont finish the tutorial quest so keller wont attack those two system/ restart untill u have atleast 3 industrial planets and u dont have too many systems (if u have less than 5 or 6 system blazer and terron wont attack u at all)/ do gallian merchant (with gallian u have the best technological advancement, gallian can defend themself better than anyone else, u have lots of money to power trade to the year 3, u have a big hull that can support your medicine and equipment trade at the beginning )/ dont buy anything except radar and engine (radar is critical for your lonely missile )/ dont explore planets untill u have good equipment/ i didnt do it in my first 200% game (pirate base and business center destroyed) but u can drop multi resonators from dominator around year 4-5 after getting them u are nearly unstoppable

tip: just pointing your weapon (missle have the most range so they are the best) to a dying dominator give u full experience even if u dont shoot at all (provided that no ranger npc attack that dominator, for rangers u get maybe half the exp i am not sure)

i am already in year 19/ 5 missile (two mm +30 and one rank H 30-50 damage), my hull is killer/stancer engine with only 20 weight (drooped from one of the transport ) i must admit i was very lucky in the beginning lots of lucky trade
i only died 3 time but it was pretty obvious that i am gonna die and i recklessly continue my stupid action lol

edit: i get all this information from some nice russian people in this site: http://srclan.org/forum/index.php also it has a very tiny english section but there are some people that willing to help

Last edited by omegaweapon; 06-08-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Approved Member

i finished my first 200% difficulty and this is my record i learned a lot of thing from this post

total score 17360
game time 13000 (25 december 3335 i used every day in last year )
kill count
dominator: 2239/pirate:7/innocant people (for killer uniqe ship )=114/hyper:10
rts mission:30 / mission :9/award:20

many thanks to all of u for your great help

next : trying to get the highest score possible but for now i need to rest a little