Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War

Men of War New World War II strategy game

Old 07-29-2009, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

i just bought this game off steam for £6 special offer
bargain its a good game
Old 08-12-2009, 12:43 AM
Registered Member

I have yet to see any method of resupply in SP. The ammo system is completely broken. You have to manually load each soldiers ammo via the horrible inventory system, taking up most of the whole playing time. The AI has infinite ammo, unlike you. Need more than 20 shells for that Howitzer? Sorry, ammo isn't in God's plan for the Reich. It's so bad it should have been cut from the game and that's coming from someone who likes an ammo system.

As for the "realism" that some speak of, I don't see anything realistic. An utterly useless gun IRL like 40mm 2pdr can easily penetrate the frontal armour of a Pz4G. The damage model is supposed to be the one thing that the game gets right, yet fails miserably.

The reviews of this game generally far overexaggerate its strengths and fail to mention weaknesses.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:04 AM
Registered Member

Also, contrary to fanboy attempts to play it down, the voice acting is an embarassment and painful, the most absurd accents and tones I have ever heard in any commercial product by far. There can be no doubt that the dev team did it all themselves and that some of them have never heard a german or russian.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:54 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypertonic View Post
I have yet to see any method of resupply in SP. The ammo system is completely broken. You have to manually load each soldiers ammo via the horrible inventory system, taking up most of the whole playing time. The AI has infinite ammo, unlike you. Need more than 20 shells for that Howitzer? Sorry, ammo isn't in God's plan for the Reich. It's so bad it should have been cut from the game and that's coming from someone who likes an ammo system.

As for the "realism" that some speak of, I don't see anything realistic. An utterly useless gun IRL like 40mm 2pdr can easily penetrate the frontal armour of a Pz4G. The damage model is supposed to be the one thing that the game gets right, yet fails miserably.

The reviews of this game generally far overexaggerate its strengths and fail to mention weaknesses.
No offence mate but you dont know what your talking about,i aswell as many other players have coped well with ammo amount & reloading in the single player,so you must be doing something really really bad or your terribly slow,& this is from a 40+ gamer,also a British 2 pounder gun is more than capable of taking out a Panzer IV tank even from the front armour as Panzer IV's werent that brill armour wise hence the side panels that they added later on(also to protect from shaped charges,ie bazooka's & the like),so you are again wrong mate.

You also forget that amour penetration is taken from distance so a 2 pounder gun could probably damage a Tiger from VERY close range which is something alot of people dont take into account.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:44 AM
Registered Member

Someone over 40 should have better grammar skills than a 6 year old, don't you think? I'm not going to argue physics with someone that makes things up contradicting widely documented facts and can't use a period and spaces.

The point is that in the game a MkII should not be consistently one-shotting a PzIV from "medium range" in game terms when the PzIVG can take all day to penetrate the MkII's ultra thin armour. Yet, far larger shells can hit at a right angle and bounce off. The damage is random. Having played Theatre of War, which is far more realistic, the MoW model pales in comparison.

Anyone who has a lot of spare time and nothing better to do and doesn't mind spending half the playing time hunting every crate and body for ammo scraps and still not being able to get enough to keep all artillery and suppression equipment operating for more than 5 minutes (but the AI just keeps shooting forever without rest) can certainly cope fine.

Not to mention that there are only generic ammo types anyway, such as "SMG ammo" and "MG ammo" that pop into any gun in the respective class. At least CoH didn't try to bullshit about ammo. The 7 year old Sudden Strike 2 system is still far better, streamline and simple enough for the AI to use.

Last edited by Hypertonic; 08-12-2009 at 03:58 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:14 AM
Approved Member

It's been said numerous times, but i shall repeat it here - MoW was never meant to be 100% realistic, as you have stated, that has already been done by ToW. You are wasting time if you are comparing the two, the games are supposed to be separate.

There are still many features that make this game more realistic than CoH and others of the sort. Atleast tanks don't have health bars in MoW.

The distances in which battles are fought is a clear indicator that MoW has sacrificed a bit of realism for fun, and perhaps a larger target audience.
Can you seriously blame them for wanting to make more money?
I am a big fan of ToW (mainly the second) but it's got a much smaller fan base than less realistic RTS titles.
Not every game has to contain the same amount of realism simply because the company has done so in a previous game.

Now just to clear up a few of your misconceptions.

There is no infinite ammo for the enemy, on numerous occasions i have seen them run up to my dead soldiers and steal their gun when they run out of their own ammo. I have also noticed it anytime i loot corpses, those who survive longest always have less ammo left.
Speaking of ammo, if someone like you who feels it "takes up most of the playing time" is complaining even when the ammo types are generic, why on earth would you want them to specifically label all different types and then require people to spend even more time loading up the inventory? Obviously you are just looking for things to complain about now.

If you are forever running out of ammo then you are simply not playing properly. I don't think i ever needed to re-supply an ATG or tank during any of the SP missions. Perhaps you need to use direct-control a bit more?
Oh and incase you didn't know...You can select a squad of 8 soldiers, approach a crate with a healthy supply of ammo and a simple right click will distribute the ammo between all selected soldiers.

As for the voice acting remark - Now you are the one making things up.
Everyone who has played the game, hell probably even the developers, are aware and have accepted that the voice acting is a joke.
Nobody tries to defend it, most people are able to tune it out if it bothers them.

If the game is such a dissapointment, why are you bothering to complain about it? It seems like you are just going to disagree with anything anyone else says, or simply ignore them based on a typo or lack of grammar.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
The 40mm 2 pounder gun was the best anti-tank gun during the early years of WW2. Depending on which type of anti-tank ammunition it used (there were three different kinds), it could penetrate 55-64mm of armor at 100 metre, and 49-52mm of armor at a range of 500 metres, and since the Pz.Kpfw. IV Ausf. G only had 50mm of armor at the hull and turret fronts, I really don´t see why it is unrealistic that the 2 pounder can penetrate the Ausf. G?

~Zeke.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
The point is that in the game a MkII should not be consistently one-shotting a PzIV from "medium range" in game terms when the PzIVG can take all day to penetrate the MkII's ultra thin armour.
Ultra thin armor? 76mm of frontal armor isnt ultra thin. The only way the Germans found to knock out the Mk.II easily, was to use their Flak18 88mm anti-aircraft guns. The Ausf. G that was introduced later in the desert campaign, could knock out the Mk.II as well from long ranges, and so could the Pz.Kpfw. III with the long 50mm gun, but until these two types arrived in the desert (and Rommel only received a few of each type) the Mk.II was indeed the best tank in the desert war.

Quote:
Not to mention that there are only generic ammo types anyway, such as "SMG ammo" and "MG ammo" that pop into any gun in the respective class. At least CoH didn't try to bullshit about ammo. The 7 year old Sudden Strike 2 system is still far better, streamline and simple enough for the AI to use.
Sure, it is easy to make each smg to use different kind of ammo type, like .45" for the Thompson, 7.62mm for PPSH1 etc, but to be honest, I really don´t care about this. As long as a 88mm gun can´t use 75mm ammunition, I´m happy. If we´d several different type of ammo for most of the small arms, you would spend most of your gaming time searching corpses trying to find the correct type of ammunition instead of actually playing the mission.

~Zeke.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:37 PM
Approved Member

Code:
			{clear}
			{item "body_armor" {cell 4 0}{user "body"}}
			{item "helmet1_rus" {cell 2 0}{user "head"}}
			{item "bandage" 5 {cell 0 0}}
			{item "molotov_coctail" "grenade" {cell 0 2}}
			{item "molotov_coctail" "grenade" {cell 2 2}}
			{item "n73at" "grenade" {cell 0 1}}
			{item "rg42x3" "grenade" {cell 0 3}}
			{item "rg42x3" "grenade" {cell 2 3}}
			{item "repair_kit" {cell 0 4}}
			{item "sandbag_kit" {cell 2 4}}
			{item "smoke" "grenade" {cell 4 4}}
			{item "smoke" "grenade" {cell 4 5}}
			{item "type_3_at" "grenade" {cell 0 6}}
			{item "type_97" "grenade" {cell 2 6}}
			{item "type_97" "grenade" {cell 3 6}}
			{item "type_97" "grenade" {cell 4 6}}
			{item "type_97" "grenade" {cell 5 6}}
			{item "uber_browning" filling "hmgun" "ammo" 999999999 {cell 2 7}{user "hand_right"}}
Old 08-17-2009, 03:49 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Someone over 40 should have better grammar skills than a 6 year old, don't you think? I'm not going to argue physics with someone that makes things up contradicting widely documented facts and can't use a period and spaces.

The point is that in the game a MkII should not be consistently one-shotting a PzIV from "medium range" in game terms when the PzIVG can take all day to penetrate the MkII's ultra thin armour. Yet, far larger shells can hit at a right angle and bounce off. The damage is random. Having played Theatre of War, which is far more realistic, the MoW model pales in comparison.

Anyone who has a lot of spare time and nothing better to do and doesn't mind spending half the playing time hunting every crate and body for ammo scraps and still not being able to get enough to keep all artillery and suppression equipment operating for more than 5 minutes (but the AI just keeps shooting forever without rest) can certainly cope fine.

Hardly want to argue with a would be elitest moron who thinks he is better & smarter than most,but alot of british tanks were almost invunerable to most of germany's early tanks,ie,panzer iv's & panzer iii's & so on,but there big draw back was weak firepower,so it shouldnt surprise you that much that a panzer iv is sometimes struggling to penetrate many of british tanks not that thin armour.

P.S.You moan about my grammer lol,yet seem to not notice in your write up that you have put MKII,MKII of what,MK is short for Mark,& the number the version,so of what type of tank or vehicle you talking about,could be anything lol,so before you critisize,correct your own error's alright mate.

Last edited by Morgoth; 08-17-2009 at 03:56 AM.