Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War

Men of War New World War II strategy game

Old 07-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

Default Should a purchase?

Hi,
Im a true believer in the CoH world, it still rocks and i even like this game too... more stuff in it though.
Can anyone answer these questions for me to make up my mind:

1. Do you have engineer units, like in CoH, where you can repair vehicles?
2. Towing arti etc do the logistics of moving units around play a role in much of the game play?
3. Can you build defences, sandbags, wire, tank traps when and where you like (is this sp or multip features)?
4. arti, i love the visual effects in CoH and the impact on the environment too, is this in MoW?
5. I played the demo and found the infantry control different to CoH and slightly worst, do infantry automatically find cover, and can you group units and use hotkeys to send orders?

If you can make up my mind with some answers id would be very grateful.

thanking you.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:31 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamwookie View Post
Hi,
Im a true believer in the CoH world, it still rocks and i even like this game too... more stuff in it though.
Can anyone answer these questions for me to make up my mind:

1. Do you have engineer units, like in CoH, where you can repair vehicles?
2. Towing arti etc do the logistics of moving units around play a role in much of the game play?
3. Can you build defences, sandbags, wire, tank traps when and where you like (is this sp or multip features)?
4. arti, i love the visual effects in CoH and the impact on the environment too, is this in MoW?
5. I played the demo and found the infantry control different to CoH and slightly worst, do infantry automatically find cover, and can you group units and use hotkeys to send orders?

If you can make up my mind with some answers id would be very grateful.

thanking you.
1:You have both units you can buy that come with anti personnel & anti tank mines,& anyone of your guys can repair vehicles that have not been completly destroyed,so long as they or the vehicles are carrying Repair tool boxes.

2:Most,but not all guns can be pushed along by the men in them,so long as you have a full amount of people in guns,1 man can operate,at a slower rate,a gun or vehicle but in guns you cant move them without full crew.Many vehicles in MOW can tow guns which obviously makes them get to the action quicker & usualy safer.So yeah towing does make a difference,also lovely animation of the gun crews sitting on the gun bar attached to the truck or other vehicle as it drives along.

3:Yes you can although in Single player depends on mission,you can also buy lorries of different type,some containing loads of different ammo type for your various tanks & guns,some containing loads of mines(both anti personnal & anti tank)about 200 or so of each,& another lorry with loads of obstacles like tank stopping terrain the metal crosses,you know the ones,also barbed wire,& certain units like rifle men & snipers & scouts can place there own terrain like foilage & sandbags.

4:To say does arti fire have a visual impact in MOW is an understatement,i once blew up a fuel depo,& the whole screen erupted in fireballs & explosions,problem with arti in MOW though is its so spectacular,you really need a decent PC to see it best as its the main part of the game that tends to cause abit of lagg,also its so deadly(although artillary takes the longest to reload so is not generaly fire that often),that alot of people in multiplayer turn off Art to stopped people just using art all the time,say bombarding people spawn points.

5:Infantry most of the time are preaty clever at going to ground,or finding cover(unless you have the do not move without my say so button on),also you have to methods of control as im sure you know,point & click control & direct control,so at least you have a choice there,& the controls are only a little fidley because you have such a vast array of things to do & or use.

Conclusion:Ive played both COH & obviously MOW & there is no comparison,MOW is 100 times better,in preaty much everyway,far more realistic,far less arcady like COH,also the Multiplayer on MOW,is probably better than the single player,something which i doubt you would say about COH,so yes buy it mate,or your regret it,maybe not today maybe not tommoror,but soon,lol.

P.S.Also the amount of different units you can have in this game,particularly in multiplayer,beats COH to a standstill,54 different units in combat multiplayer to choose from for the Germans alone,& that jumps up to as much as 93 when using say All units 2.0 MOD thats now out.Also very soon there releasing a patch with a fifth Army for multiplayer plus new maps,the Japanese.

Last edited by Morgoth; 07-23-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:05 AM
Approved Member

Just a few things to add to what Morgoth said..

Repairing isn't quite the same as you will be used to in CoH - It is more realistic and logical here. Tanks don't have health bars, a well placed AP round to a weak point of a tank/vehicle can result in it blowing up instantly, or if it hits the tank treads it can be immobilised and you will need to repair that section of the vehicle before being able to move again. Same with if your turret gets destroyed, and AT guns can be disabled without being destroyed then must be repaired before firing.

Towing AT guns and other artillery with vehicles is vital in both SP&MP matches, with multiplayer you'll need to move them around to avoid the enemy figuring out where you are shooting from, and in SP you may have a limited time to set up defenses before the first enemy wave and towing the artillery is extremely useful.

As Morgoth pointed out, the visuals from destruction in MoW can't even be compared to CoH, explosions look spectacular, the destroyed buildings/vehicles make great cover and enhance the battles. Not to mention the direct control mode which allows you to, for example, decide which chunk of the building you need removed in order to have a clear shot at the enemy.

Just one more addition to the infantry notes, the AI is clever enough to know when to chuck an AP/AT grenade, or dive out of the way of an enemy thrown grenade, and you will often find they will look after themselves. It's worth pointing out that it has a great cover system too, just selecting infantry and moving your mouse over a piece of cover will display an outline of the soldier to indicate what direction they face and it lets you know they won't be killed instantly as they have a bit of cover...But again i should mention the realism in this game, you could lose a soldier with just 1 shot, or perhaps a spray from a MG, unlike CoH there is no health bar that slowly regenerates, your soldier has to stop and apply bandages if he is nearing death (AI does this automatically when not in the heat of battle), but if he has a helmet and some body armor, he will be more resistant to damage.
Units are not placed in fixed squads like CoH and you can't reinforce them by simply returning to base. Each soldier is individual, with their own inventory, ammo supply, grenades(AT/AP/Molotov). Yes you can place them in squads and assign a # to them, squads are limited to 8 units, but these can include vehicles/art/infantry so you can group together a couple of tanks with some infantry to help take care of any stray infantry without having to turn your turret on the tank.

I played CoH before i had heard of MoW, but since i picked up MoW and started playing i simply cannot return to play CoH...Again i will have to agree with Morgoth's description, CoH is just too dumbed down and arcade-like.
The lack of realistic features almost ruins the immersion and you don't feel as though you've accomplished as much as you can in MoW. In real war infantry don't have infinite ammo, they don't heal/reinforce by returning to base and standing within a raidius..and tanks do not have a health bar so they know when to flee to avoid being destroyed.

To sum up, Men of War is a very realistic and jaw dropping experience. You may be frustrated until you start learning how to micro-manage your troops efficiently, but after that you will realise how much this game has to offer.
Everyone i know who has given it enough time, has said they have never played a game quite like it - So i would highly suggest you give it another shot, even if you just spend a bit more time on the demo first.
Which level does the demo allow you to play by the way?

Last edited by Nokturnal; 07-24-2009 at 02:12 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:47 AM
Approved Member

mow is better than coh just like people above me said

i think coh is good game but mow is a lot better. i mean the gameplay units
levels and ......

Last edited by persoiranian; 07-24-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:00 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by persoiranian View Post
mow is better than coh just like people above me said
Yes, it is true that MoW is better then CoH, still some people like more arcade games over realism.

You should join the DMS Comunity to see more infos about the game, mods and upcoming titles.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:18 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by szebus View Post
Yes, it is true that MoW is better then CoH, still some people like more arcade games over realism.

You should join the DMS Comunity to see more infos about the game, mods and upcoming titles.
Those people usualy arnt very good at games though lol,thats why they need the very simplified game controls,most arcade games have.

Last edited by Morgoth; 07-24-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for your replies. I bought MoW lastnight for £6 whole pounds! Just before I saw the Steam deal i might of bought it for £17 at play.com. Got a bargin though.

I am firstly a CoH gamer, I believe the game has much of visual appeal and an audio to die for. MoW is great, don't get me wrong, game play is very different and for those needing depth..MoW is the one. The thing that let's is done, almost six foot under, is the sound design, speech etc. I wet my pants when 'Cookie Monster' voice was used as a Russian.

Thanks again. I'm working my way through the German Campaign.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:20 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamwookie View Post
Thanks for your replies. I bought MoW lastnight for £6 whole pounds! Just before I saw the Steam deal i might of bought it for £17 at play.com. Got a bargin though.

I am firstly a CoH gamer, I believe the game has much of visual appeal and an audio to die for. MoW is great, don't get me wrong, game play is very different and for those needing depth..MoW is the one. The thing that let's is done, almost six foot under, is the sound design, speech etc. I wet my pants when 'Cookie Monster' voice was used as a Russian.

Thanks again. I'm working my way through the German Campaign.
Two things i would say about the voice acting in the game,yes its not the best,but then it is a WW2 game,& no offence,most soldiers arnt know for there brilliance as speakers are they lol,also it hardly effects gameplay,as voices are only used generaly in cut scenes which after watching once i generaly on all games press escape to forward anyhow,also i feel in game sounds are highly realistic,may not be hollywood sound explosions & the like,but are realistic to what the guns & explosions do sound like in real life.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:29 AM
Approved Member

no Joke!

Men of War for 7 Euro!!! by Steam!!!
Old 07-27-2009, 06:07 AM
Approved Member

I don't think anyone can honestly say they thought the voice acting was "good".

But personally, i like to think it was done poorly on purpose - To counter the realism of the gameplay perhaps?

Either way, it's a nice change from the extremely serious drama-movie style story telling that we get in every other war game. (CoH..)
Always trying to give off the impression that it's some epic award winning story that we've never heard before. (Don't they know WW2 has been done to death?)

Atleast with MoW you can laugh at how the voice-over never seems to use the right accent.

But at the end of the day, who really cares? We don't pay for a game to watch the cutscenes, or to listen to the voice overs. In reality we just want them to hurry up and get on with it so we can get back to killing the enemy.