Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War

Men of War New World War II strategy game

Old 10-17-2010, 05:49 PM
Approved Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane1 View Post
When I said "adds realism" I didn't mean like in "Real Life". Being able to get you helmet shot off or shooting the enemy's helmet off or picking up a helmet off the ground adds more to the game then takes away IMO
well i think we have enough to do without this 'feature'..

Quote:
It's like shooting out a window, one more small thing that adds to the game.
that's a bit different as it's the environment. i appreciate the environment in this game, but the helmet thing is a small and a bit silly distraction, imo..

Quote:
I agree with most of what you said, if they took out that feature I wouldn't like the game any less, but with it in I like the game more. Like you said this game gets pretty hectic so most of the time I don't even think about my guys wearing helmets.
well, we maybe exposing them to more damage without them?

not sure how it works in the game, a more experienced person than myself could tell us..
Old 10-17-2010, 05:52 PM
Approved Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightFandragon View Post
The Helm falling off might seem retarded but it stops a bullet which would otherwise really mess your soldiers world up. So its a pretty powerful item, it takes out the hat instead of head shotting him.
yeah i always try and keep my guys lids on..

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightFandragon View Post
So it stopping only 1 round and falling off makes sense for gameplay. I know this game is supposed to be closer to realism but still, would you really want the helm stopping like half a mag...and in reality those WW2 helms didnt stop much did they? So them stopping anything is already unrealistic as is. =D
why not just treat it like anything else and have a HP count?

so 2nd or 3rd bullets would just go straight thru?

i'd be ko with that.

i'm just thinking i have enough to do restocking weapons, laying mines organising troops (which is the essence of the game) to worry about this silly helmet thing..that's all..
Old 10-17-2010, 06:17 PM
Approved Member

I think its good because against another player there can be a big difference in skill level. A question though, are red berets etc treated the same as a helmet, in effectiveness?
Old 10-21-2010, 12:15 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
I don't like having to put my soldiers helmet on every few minutes but I think it adds realism. It makes the soldiers less bot like, if you know what I mean.
Not really. Usualy a soldier would keep his helmet and close the strips exactly to prevent it dissapearing suddenly. Thats something they usualy keep really an eye on while training (discipline and such). At least for the German army this was standart. If the instructors would find you with unaceptable shape (like open strips) you would face some punishment. Same for most other armies. All this "loosing helmet" thing does is ading another useless micromanagement to the game which should be removed as you have to keep an eye on a lot of things already and runing around to pick up your helmet is neither realistic nor really anything usefull for the gameplay (i rarely if ever do that).

Regarding protection, reall the helmet is NOT there to protect from bullets. It doesnt mean that it might give you no protection but the chance to survive a clear straight shoot even by a 9mm are very small maybe past 100 meters it would richochet, eventually (but even then only when it hits a bad angle).

What a helmet usualy should do is protect your head from injuries if you drop down or something. They say it also gives protection against shrapnels but even that probably only if the angle allows it (a helmet has a round shape afterall), because the metal is quite thin. Its a myth a helmet could protect from bullets. For example the 7.96mm mauser which wsa pretty much the standart rifle amunition for the German army would have no trouble to penetrate a usual steel helmet from more then 1500 meters (if you hit). I think the bullet could even penetrate up to 1cm of armor. But I am not sure about that. Today modern helmets "maybe" can give you aditional protection where you survive head shoots that would otherwise clearly kill you without a helmet but even that requires a bit of luck. But still the main reason for helmets is to protect the head from injuries as it can happen very fast in combat that you have to either hit the dirt or you simply fall down.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:18 PM
Approved Member

If all soldiers strap their helmets on then the Americans in Vietnam were on marijuana.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:55 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korsakov829 View Post
I think its good because against another player there can be a big difference in skill level. A question though, are red berets etc treated the same as a helmet, in effectiveness?
From what I can tell yeah they are, ive had men with the black berets on, ive shot the sailor dudes and their caps fly off all the same as a metal hat.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:00 AM
Approved Member

That sucks. There were sometimes a metal rim inside the hats but thats about it.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:36 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korsakov829 View Post
If all soldiers strap their helmets on then the Americans in Vietnam were on marijuana.
They probably just didnt cared about it. But I am quite certain drill instructors looked for it during training. If people did it in combat or not is a different question.

But thats a competely different time and war so soldiers and their perception might have changed. There are so many factors behind it that I guess one could write a book about it. And I have no clue why for Vietnam things seem different (maybe its cause the generation which moved out for war was a different one ?).

Anyway thing is that when youre searching for images about WW2 regardless if in battle or not you will have a very hard time to find pictures where the soldiers are using their helmets without a closed strap. As simple as that. And since MoW is a WW2 game I think thats kinda relevant. Not what some desilusioned indidivuals did in Nam.

*Edit
101airborne
It seems though that at least for some there have been mixed situations where some closed their straps while others didnt. But I assume that many have been in a somewhat "relaxed" state while the pictures have been done to say it that way. Meaning days of no sleep, marching and now a quiet moment to take a picture would leave enough room to make your self somewhat comfortable. But I guess in combat most would keep their straps closed.

Coinsidence also wants it that our helmets in the Firebrigade looked and closed very similar to a usual helmet as seen by most German soldiers. THing is that during walking or a conversation when nothing happend we would simply keep the helmet on the head without the straps. But if you knew you had to get out, or do something you would always look to close it. I can only assume it was similar for most soldiers.

Last edited by Crni vuk; 10-22-2010 at 03:49 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:21 AM
Approved Member

"but I think it adds realism." That's what I wrote but not what I meant. I meant that It makes them less like "PC Bots". It makes it mean more to shoot them or get shot.

"It's like shooting out a window, one more small thing that adds to the game." I know their different, my point was that it's one more cool thing about this game, like using a gas can to refuel your vehicle or using matches to light a field on fire.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:52 PM
Approved Member

This feature is great as it is, maybe a bit optimized will do better, like the helmets would be thrown off much closer to your soldier and an option to set on/ off to auto pick helmets if not wearing one or something.