Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War

Men of War New World War II strategy game

Old 10-16-2010, 04:46 PM
Approved Member

Lightbulb the whole losing-the-helmet thing i STILL think is pointless..

i would suggest that we could entirely cut-out the whole losing-the-helmet sub routines as they are pointless and distractory..(thats not a real word!)..

i thought this in the early days and still think so now i only just installed mow and have started playing it again..

Old 10-16-2010, 07:59 PM
Approved Member

now that as you mention it ... youre are totally right. It always was anyoing but it seems I forgot about it. But yes, they should change that. As its not only very unrealistic but also not very helpfull. Before a soldier might loose his helmet (from a detonation orwhat ever) he would be probably rather dead from the effect.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:28 PM
Approved Member

I don't like having to put my soldiers helmet on every few minutes but I think it adds realism. It makes the soldiers less bot like, if you know what I mean.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:18 PM
Approved Member

Mod a 30% chance to lose helmet?
Old 10-17-2010, 02:00 AM
Approved Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane1 View Post
I think it adds realism.
with respect, the problem is this game doesn't give you much time to stop and admire the flowers as it is..

if my memory serves me correctly this does actually affect a soldiers resistance to bullets, in the game?

either way, in reality soldiers get bullets ping off their helmets all the time and keep them on. they have chin straps.

i'm all for a bit of macro-management, but just think it adds a pointless bit of activity you have to do (i always try and make sure my guys have their lids on..), in a game that gives you VERY little time to do much else..
Old 10-17-2010, 02:01 AM
Approved Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korsakov829 View Post
Mod a 30% chance to lose helmet?
actually thats not a bad idea..

a lot of these ideas could be made optional settings on the menu..
Old 10-17-2010, 02:33 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfbollos View Post
either way, in reality soldiers get bullets ping off their helmets all the time and keep them on. they have chin straps.
Sometimes they shatter and can enter the soldiers shoulder or neck. This happened in 2008 South Ossetia. Georgian soldier died of internal bleeding in the neck. If a .50 or .57 cal it will often go through a helmet. Many soldiers in history do not strap on the helmet due to every helmet being just about the same size.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:38 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfbollos View Post
with respect, the problem is this game doesn't give you much time to stop and admire the flowers as it is..

if my memory serves me correctly this does actually affect a soldiers resistance to bullets, in the game?

i'm all for a bit of macro-management, but just think it adds a pointless bit of activity you have to do (i always try and make sure my guys have their lids on..), in a game that gives you VERY little time to do much else..

When I said "adds realism" I didn't mean like in "Real Life". Being able to get you helmet shot off or shooting the enemy's helmet off or picking up a helmet off the ground adds more to the game then takes away IMO. It's like shooting out a window, one more small thing that adds to the game.

I agree with most of what you said, if they took out that feature I wouldn't like the game any less, but with it in I like the game more. Like you said this game gets pretty hectic so most of the time I don't even think about my guys wearing helmets.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Approved Member

The Helm falling off might seem retarded but it stops a bullet which would otherwise really mess your soldiers world up. So its a pretty powerful item, it takes out the hat instead of head shotting him. So it stopping only 1 round and falling off makes sense for gameplay. I know this game is supposed to be closer to realism but still, would you really want the helm stopping like half a mag...and in reality those WW2 helms didnt stop much did they? So them stopping anything is already unrealistic as is. =D
Old 10-17-2010, 05:45 PM
Approved Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korsakov829 View Post
Sometimes they shatter and can enter the soldiers shoulder or neck. This happened in 2008 South Ossetia. Georgian soldier died of internal bleeding in the neck. If a .50 or .57 cal it will often go through a helmet. Many soldiers in history do not strap on the helmet due to every helmet being just about the same size.
a bullet going thru the helmet and killing the solider is fine..not much will stop a 50 cal..

it's the mechanics of the losing the helmet thing, in this game, that i have a small problem with..