Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War

Men of War New World War II strategy game

Old 05-24-2010, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

Default This game has the worst community hands down

I've been playing for quite some time now. These feelings have been building up and after a fustrating night I want to see if im alone on this. This game has the worst community for a game I have ever seen.

Never have I played a game filled with people with dial up connections, slow laggy PC's, dodgy internet connections which disconnects, and the most unwelcoming attitude to new players.

Tonight I've spent 20mins trying to get into a game. After 5mins of waiting in the lobby for players to come, the host is afk and so we all wait around for a couple of mins. The game starts and we start loading. Except one of the people has timed out and we're stuck on a 10 minute loading screen to tell us that he's timed out. So the game is restart and the same thing happens 2nd time round.

When we do finally get into the game, some guy rage quits after 5minues of playing.

At least once every other game, someone times out during the loading screen or rage quits early game when things don't go their way. Often you get pros who all stack a team and kick new players who take thier slot, so as you get a team of eg 3 pros (not clanners or anything like that), against 2 one star people and 1 noob. No one has a sense of balance and everyone is more interested in having a steam-roll game.

Another problem which isn't so bad is; from an english speakers point of view, there is such a wide audience of people with such a range of languages that there is no communication in the lobbies as no one can understand each other.

Rant over, hopefully I'm not the only one who feels like this.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:50 PM
Approved Member

This is with every MP game. Unless everybody gets a good PC and Internet provider, there is always going to be someone who times out. You can't change the way people are either.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:05 PM
Approved Member

Well, I don’t know all gaming communities so I am not able to say which one is the worst, but I also have mixed feelings about MoW community.

1). The community suffers from many technical problems which can be a bit frustrating. Too many patches and their incompatibility being most problematic. Plus, Steam users experience additional problems.

2). Community seems to be divided into Russian-speaking and English-speaking. I have nothing against other languages used in the lobby, but nothing excuses stupid comments like: “You fool, learn Russian, it is our game!”.

3). Rage quitting or kicking somebody without a word is quite common and can be attributed to lack of good manners. Even simple Hi/ Privet at the start of the game is rarely seen, not to mention more advanced stuff like praising somebody ( e.g.: N1) for a good tactical move, which in other communities is quite a norm.

I'd advice new international MP players to:

1. Join games hosted by players with the same or similar rank. Don't join games hosted by pros unless you are one too.
2. When hosting the game, set additional rules, like: 200 ping max, English-speaking only, just for noobs, etc.
3. Pay attention to your own ping and pings of other players, esp. when you join big games like 5x5 and above.
4. If you join big games, make sure the majority can speak English. Big games are fun only if the communication is good. They are a huge mess if allies can’t cooperate.
5. It won’t hurt to know some basic Russian words: left flank, attack centre, defend. I have them written on a piece of paper.
6. Take time zones difference into consideration when playing the game: wait for Russians to go to sleep and play with the Americans instead. Just joking.

For myself, my list of friends is growing everyday, but most of my friends happen to be American.

Last edited by CzaD; 05-25-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzaD View Post
2). Community seems to be divided into Russian-speaking and English-speaking. I have nothing against other languages used in the lobby, but nothing excuses stupid comments like: “You fool, learn Russian, it is our game!”.
It truely is Russia for Russians. Its taken more seriously then most people think.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:11 PM
Approved Member

I'm currently serving a ban so I've been back playing Rome Total War and the chat lobby there is crazy. There is no regulation and believe me you hear it all, every ism under the sun. Its not all players but the few make the most of it to offend as many as possible.

Its a gamespy server and far worse than MOW, all said there are some great fellas there and the banter can be hilarious at times. Its basically opposite of MOW some good points some bad, very bad points.

My biggest gripe with mow is the amount of cheating and is sometimes very hard to detect. Also learning the game is hard where as plenty of people are willing to help in rtw.

There have been many occasions where I have nearly given up the game but I'm getting there. I have always found the best games to be when no one speaks yet looks out for each other and works as a team be it mow or rtw.

People leaving the game is a sickener especially as games take so long to get going but your always going to get anal players like that unfortunately.

Oh and a last word for the fellas who think its good to spawn for 15 minutes when the point is totally surrounded "it's sad" if these people put as much effort into the main game as they do trying to break out of spawnpoint with tankmen the team might not end up getting ripped.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brit67 View Post
My biggest gripe with mow is the amount of cheating and is sometimes very hard to detect.

Could you expand on that,pls?
Old 05-25-2010, 06:18 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Gamekillers and TNT users in tank only games
Old 05-25-2010, 07:17 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petemyster View Post
Often you get pros who all stack a team and kick new players who take thier slot, so as you get a team of eg 3 pros (not clanners or anything like that), against 2 one star people and 1 noob. No one has a sense of balance and everyone is more interested in having a steam-roll game.

Yes, sometimes this happens. The culprits are a bunch of cunts tho, tbh.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:35 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brit67 View Post
Gamekillers and TNT users in tank only games
TNT isnt cheating, its just annoying...as for Gamekillers, you mean people who start the server and just quit? or what
Old 05-25-2010, 09:38 PM
Approved Member

TNT in tanks was very common then and still is today. Its only realistic. Often, tanks would find themselves cut off by hedge hogs or rubble that only TNT would suffice.

The only thing I really have against MP games is the spawncamping. Really annoying now and then.