Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War

Men of War New World War II strategy game

Old 06-02-2010, 06:03 AM
Approved Member

To limit those KingTigers in your example from marauding around at will you just give them that time limit before they are bought like many mods and even the base game has, just make it higher, then you put the max of 1 that you can buy and then make its cost VERY high. b/c realistically NO German armor was all that common, later war anyway. The few they did have were spread out all over europe but when they were fought they wrecked some serious havoc. So yeah, just make heavy German armor in the game expensive and take a while to get, but make it feared........soo many of the mods for this game have 1 or 2 features thats realistic-ish, if they all got togehter and really thought it over all the modders could really come up w/ a truly realistic mod..well as real as MOW will allow, and thats pretty close.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:56 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crni vuk View Post
Then I think Men of War might be eventualy the wrong game for you. Without the intention to sound cocky or insult you. I thought about the game in a similar way and it meant a lot of frustration, at least in the begining. Till a friend told me I should not play realistic but witht the rules of the game. And now it works a lot easier and better. Men of war is a complex RTS with WW2 as theme. Its in no way a battlefield simulation. What ever if the intention was to give units realistic values or not but fact is that its a game first and anything else later. I personaly prefer realism over a lot of other things as well. But for a RTS you cant simply make evertyhing realistic. Not if you want to have some fun as well. Otherwise you would see Kingtigers destroy anything on ALL ranges with pin point accuracy (almost), sounds not all to fun does it ? Though now you would have to give the other side either a powerfull airforce and/or artillery units, making the Tiger II eventualy very vulnerable to mechanical problems meaning that only 5 % of them would see the battlefield in the end. Not that fun either ...

Its incredible hard to make a realistic game.
I have a different view of fun then most people. I charged a T29 with 3 tank crew squads, do the math and thats 32 tank crewmen.

There is only a chance of winning if the tank commander of a super heavy is a fool and allows somebody to stick TNT under the tank.

Last edited by Korsakov829; 06-14-2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:00 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
issue with angling your tiger is that you expose your tracks and then your tiger is soon enough dead.

The Germans are not bad. They are just overkill. You end often enough in situations where you dont use the appropiate gear to counter the enemy armor like a Tiger I or Panther which have been excelent units but simply go for the "kill it all think later solution" that are the King, Jagd and Sturmtiger. And those are many times the vehicles you see. It doesnt mean that you dont see other vehicles. The panther is one of the most usefull vehicles if used correctly. Its just a bit ridiculous that you have trouble to penetrate sme tanks like the IS2 for example already from the side only cause the game decided now that youre shell is almost ineffective cause youre shooting from to far away ...
Obviously an IS2 shouldn't have much problems against a Panther.... 150m is equivalent of around 4000m or so IRL. I'm not sure.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Then I think Men of War might be eventualy the wrong game for you. Without the intention to sound cocky or insult you. I thought about the game in a similar way and it meant a lot of frustration, at least in the begining. Till a friend told me I should not play realistic but witht the rules of the game. And now it works a lot easier and better. Men of war is a complex RTS with WW2 as theme. Its in no way a battlefield simulation. What ever if the intention was to give units realistic values or not but fact is that its a game first and anything else later. I personaly prefer realism over a lot of other things as well. But for a RTS you cant simply make evertyhing realistic. Not if you want to have some fun as well. Otherwise you would see Kingtigers destroy anything on ALL ranges with pin point accuracy (almost), sounds not all to fun does it ? Though now you would have to give the other side either a powerfull airforce and/or artillery units, making the Tiger II eventualy very vulnerable to mechanical problems meaning that only 5 % of them would see the battlefield in the end. Not that fun either ...

Its incredible hard to make a realistic game.
This game is balanced very well. A T-34 vs Panzer 3 fight for example is decently realistic. Same with IS2 vs King Tiger. This game has combined realism and balance very well, imho.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:53 PM
Approved Member

I have never played Close Combat, but I have played a fantastic and hugely tactical turn-based game called Steel Panthers. The tank ranges in SP are much better represented and the game attempts to fight historical campaigns and has like 1000’s of historical battles. Contrary to MoW, which seems to be all about “technology race” (you see a Tiger = you buy a Pershing), you would have to apply different tactics and use 3 or more Shermans or T-34s or a tank assault squad to hunt a Tiger down. You could appreciate the might of the Tiger and the bravery of Sherman tank commanders more. If you wanted a Pershing you would have to play a battle set in 1945.

So for me, eras is a big yes.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Approved Member

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey, has eras. If you set the MP game for planes only up to 1940, you wouldn't have the Me-262 as it was made past 1944. MoW needs something of the sort.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzaD View Post
I have never played Close Combat, but I have played a fantastic and hugely tactical turn-based game called Steel Panthers. The tank ranges in SP are much better represented and the game attempts to fight historical campaigns and has like 1000’s of historical battles. Contrary to MoW, which seems to be all about “technology race” (you see a Tiger = you buy a Pershing), you would have to apply different tactics and use 3 or more Shermans or T-34s or a tank assault squad to hunt a Tiger down. You could appreciate the might of the Tiger and the bravery of Sherman tank commanders more. If you wanted a Pershing you would have to play a battle set in 1945.

So for me, eras is a big yes.
In this game, King tigers are ALWAYS targeted by both artillery and tanks. But instead of sending 3 tanks (where 2 of them would die) people simply wear down the King Tiger, before going in for the kill.

I think if we play 1943, Tiger 1 should cost as much as King Tiger, for example. This entire thing would take allot of work, but it would certainly be worth it!
Old 06-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikitns View Post
In this game, King tigers are ALWAYS targeted by both artillery and tanks. But instead of sending 3 tanks (where 2 of them would die) people simply wear down the King Tiger, before going in for the kill.

I think if we play 1943, Tiger 1 should cost as much as King Tiger, for example. This entire thing would take allot of work, but it would certainly be worth it!
By "in this game", you mean SP or MoW.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:18 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikitns View Post

I expect it in Assault Squad, or a update for it later on at least. I don't think MoW will be patched, not for another year or two (more people working on Assault Squad and other projects, not enough to make a new MoW patch in just 4 months)