Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War

Men of War New World War II strategy game

View Poll Results: Best Heavy tank
Kv-1 1 3.03%
Kv-85 0 0%
Tiger 3 9.09%
Panther 6 18.18%
Pershing T-29 2 6.06%
King Tiger 15 45.45%
Centurion 1 3.03%
IS-1 0 0%
IS-2 3 9.09%
IS-3 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2010, 06:42 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crni vuk View Post
I can understand the intention to downsize the effect of penetration and shells for gameplay sake. But yeah ... it still should be a lot more powerfull. You see way to many richochets and shoot without any effect at all particularly while engaging medium / light armor with heavy guns and tanks.

The Nashorn is litealy useless in battles cause it seems never to do much more then a Stug. And Before I spend points on a tank that has virtualy no armor (hey it dies 99% of the time in the first shoot) you save the points for the Jagdpanther or Jagdpanzer IV. If the Nashorn would at least get the penetration of its gun. To many times you shoot the side of some vehicle to see nothing happen ... or even its front. A t34 or similar vehicles should be toast. As simple as that. The IS2 and pershing. Thats a different story. I agree here to achieve penetration on highest distance. Should be difficoult of course. But not for the flank. It should almost always grant you success. I would like to use and see more Nashorns in battle. But it seems no one is choosing it for obvious reasons. If you dont get the first hit. you're dead.

This is what I mean though when I am talking about side shoots to the Panther. And this happend so many times ... its not funny anymore. And yeah it happens virtualy with all weapons and different tanks. Bee it shooting the Pershing side with the Tiger I, or Tiger II with the SU100 etc. ...

Tsst BS Nashorns are Awsome. Sure they are risky, you can lose em many times and if the enemy has an officer or good line of sight. You may lose it.

The Nashorn has same gun as King tiger and JP so theres nothing wrong with its gun. Nashorns are really a unit you can only afford to quickly move forth shoot and then retrete.

Personaly i normaly buy em if the enemy has for example an IS-2 or a Pershing. And im too low on points to afford anything real heavy.
Then Nashorns are normaly a better investment then a JP 4 or even a tiger and panther.
Killed many IS-2s with Nashorns, trick is to make sure the enemy isnt ready for it. Sure somtimes the shot miss or hit a bad spot where it deflects.
But thats life.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:17 PM
Approved Member

thats why you see the Nashorn so many times and regularly used in battles right ...

Seriously. I dont even see experienced player use that vehicle very often as they save the points either for infantry or vehicles with better armor.

Similar to the SU100 which is also very rarely seen on the battlefield. And that is partialy cause the SU100 doesnt offer any advantage on long range compared to the IS2 or IS3 which it should as it has a 100mm gun. But the SU100 already strugles with the front of the Tiger I. And here again, one shoot and it is many times toast.

The times I used the Nashorn are very rare. I tend to spend the points more in ifantry equped with correct weapons like assault infantry or air born troops.

I actualy dont have any issue with the fact that weapons are not correctly modeled. But that you have to get so close to some tanks that you can hug them if you want to shoot the flank is what I find distubring. Particularly when you are using guns of medium/heavy caliber. In some battles you spend 3-4 ISU shoots to the SIDE of the Tiger II and see no effect. Taking its chains out at best. Particiliarly the ISU152 should be a lot more effective even against the german heavy tanks. If not penetrating the front armor but killing the crew inside.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:34 PM
Approved Member

Lol, I never buy the Nashorn.....its got melted butter as armor....I prefer something that can get hit a few times...King Tiger for life =D If I buy a Tank Hunter Assault Gun its the Elephant....that thing is decent gotten it a few times, lost it none.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:16 PM
Approved Member

Thing is a King Tiger cost 120 points a Nashorn cost 45.
Sometime when your in a bad situation, For example the enemy got a Pershing or and IS-2 out. That is very well guarded from any infantry attacks.

Then the only way to beat it, is to wait for ages to get JP for 90 points. Cuz Tigers and Panthers just wont be enought to fight it frontally.

But you can always get a Nashorn. It can be risky, specially if the enemy got good line of sight.
But if you control it correctly, and go in for the kill. Theres a good chance that one shot will be enough. A 45 point unit killing a 85 point IS-2 can be devastating for the opponant.

Im not saying Nashorns are always a good option. But if you need a heavy tank killed and got low resources. Nashorns can be a great option.

Crni vuk ISU-152s are one of the best units in the game. But it can sometimes be abit unpredictable. Sometimes it preforms great and iv even lost King Tigers frontaly too it. But other it doesnt kill shit.
Thing with the ISU-152 is that you have to hit the roof armor on units like the KT.
As for Panthers, a He shell in its frontal armor can normaly be enough.

Last edited by Evilsausage; 05-10-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilsausage View Post
Thing is a King Tiger cost 120 points a Nashorn cost 45.
Sometime when your in a bad situation, For example the enemy got a Pershing or and IS-2 out. That is very well guarded from any infantry attacks.
Difference is the Nashorn has no defence what so ever while the Jagdpanther or panther even can take some fight with the Pershing.

There is no garantue that the Nashorns formidable gun would penetrate a Pershing or IS2. And the fact how easily the Nashorn can be seen chance is high that you loose it before you can shoot or get close enough for a certain penetration. Dont forget accuracy plays a significant role as well! You CAN theoreticaly on max distance take out the Pershing, IS2 and even damage the IS3 on his turret and gun. But how high is the chance to achieve that with the first shot ? Maybe 30%. Thats not enough.

The Nashorn is more a desperate unit. Maybe usefull to guard your flanks from a ambush position. Or to use it to get some heavy tank in its flank from long range.

In reality the Nashorn was a very succesfull tank hunter cause of its powerfull gun and experienced crews tank hunters usualy use different tactics compared to battle tanks.

Last edited by Crni vuk; 05-11-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Approved Member

Well when you get the Nashorn for half the price of a JP. And mounts same gun as the JP you can't expect it to have good armor aswell.

Like i said Nashorns are not for soaking damage in any way. Just shoot and then hide.

I dont recomend you try to fight Pershings and IS-2s at max range with it. Cuz then it will normaly deflect or miss.
However many times you can just quickly race for the enemy tank while its bussy. I Normaly get close enough so i get roughly 130-150 in penetration(which can be done from pretty far away). Then the chances of a kill is more like 70% if you manges to get your shot off.

Now ofc the Nashorn can get spotted and fucked up, or it misses. But you can't really expect it to be 100% sucessfull when its fighting units twice its cost.

Also don't recomend using Nashorns vs IS-3s. Even King tigers have to be damn close to kill and IS-3 frontally. And you will never be able to get that close with a Nashorns paperthin armor.

But yeah, if you can afford a JP. Its normaly a safer investment.
But don't underestimate the Nashorn. have killed many IS-2s, Pershings, IS-1s etc with it.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilsausage View Post
Like i said Nashorns are not for soaking damage in any way. Just shoot and then hide.
But exactly THAT is what you need most of the time during a battle. Particularly the longer the battle is going. And hence why you very rarely if ever see Nashorns and similar vehicles in action. The chance to survive a shoot by the powerfull Nashorn gun, even for medium targets like the T34 is just to high to warant its use. Just loost to much of them on medium tanks cause the first shoot did nothing even when almost the whole tank was in full sight. And now since I am doing different things with my points then spend it for the Nashorn things work better.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:39 AM
Approved Member

I have said this before, Nashorns are an emergency unit if the enemy pulls out a heavy tank you cant afford to counter. If you use em as a standard tank going around fighting stuff it will get fucked up. And yeah even a t-34 can **** it up at max range.

Im not saying Nashorns should be your main battletank. And many times you don't need to get it. But sometimes, in certain situations a Nashorn can be a great unit if used right.
Just 1 good shot with it and you might had killed something almost twice its price, but at the same time just 1 shot at it and you have lost it.
Its just that its different. But it doesnt make it bad.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:59 AM
Banned

Nashorns is a very good unit, if you use it correctly. Move it up towards the front and it is a dead duck in no time... when used from ambush and from the rear, and having infantry doing the scouting, it can deliver death to the enemy quite easy. Just remember to only shot one or two rounds from the same position and NEVER let it use "fire at will", the Nashorn is a unit that should only be used with direct control (since otherwise you can be pretty sure that it will reveal its position by firing a HE shell against a lone enemy infantry guy...).

~Zeke.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:09 AM
Approved Member

dont get me wrong I believe you all when you say the Nashorn is a powerfull vehicle if used correctly, I am sure youre love for it is waranted somewhere.

Its just that I think, to much work for the expected gain and to much things to consider when using it. Playing with it needs skill that for sure.