Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 06:51 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
some code of the original IL-2 is in CoD
The latest vids which have engine sounds clearly reveal that is the case. Not counting the "official trailer" using out-dated Igromir clips with dubbed in sounds.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:04 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baronWastelan View Post
The latest vids which have engine sounds clearly reveal that is the case. Not counting the "official trailer" using out-dated Igromir clips with dubbed in sounds.
Reusing sound clips is not the same as reusing game code.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:05 AM
Approved Member

Well I picked up on it in a different way. The AA looks very strange, much closer to IL2 than a modern game (Wings of Prey has far better AA, clearly silky smooth edges). Also the gunfire from the videos we have seen looks weird, like the tracers are moving rectangular textures (which they used to use), while WOP actually look musch closer to the real thing, the bright tracer is blurred and leaves behind a wake as a bullet does.
Maybe I am just nit picking.

*edit - I was just reading this interview where Oleg states the engine is completely new and rebuilt, so I think we have to trust him on this one. For now until I see more gameplay I am going to put it as either: the artists/programmers used a similar method or procedure to generate the effect in the new engine, resulting in visual simularity that seems "out of place". But my god the Jaggies!
http://www.neocrisis.com/articles/19...over-interview

Last edited by Heliocon; 01-20-2011 at 03:14 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:09 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David603 View Post
Reusing sound clips is not the same as reusing game code.
Please provide a link to a post made by any 1C developer stating "Reusing sound clip" in reference to any dev update video with sound. In the absence of any facts to support your statement, we thank you for your opinion.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:15 AM
Approved Member

Wait until FP realizes the press release says CoD will merely "take off" in March and doesn't actually say the word release. He may need to go into permanent care.

:p
Old 01-20-2011, 07:27 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliocon View Post
Well I picked up on it in a different way. The AA looks very strange, much closer to IL2 than a modern game (Wings of Prey has far better AA, clearly silky smooth edges). Also the gunfire from the videos we have seen looks weird, like the tracers are moving rectangular textures (which they used to use), while WOP actually look musch closer to the real thing, the bright tracer is blurred and leaves behind a wake as a bullet does.
Maybe I am just nit picking.

*edit - I was just reading this interview where Oleg states the engine is completely new and rebuilt, so I think we have to trust him on this one. For now until I see more gameplay I am going to put it as either: the artists/programmers used a similar method or procedure to generate the effect in the new engine, resulting in visual simularity that seems "out of place". But my god the Jaggies!
http://www.neocrisis.com/articles/19...over-interview
Well, as we first heard of this completely new engine beeing in development in 2004 and the first release date was in late 2006 I would be very amazed to hear that a bunch of talented developers have spent seven years modifying their old engine...
Old 01-20-2011, 08:28 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered_IV View Post
Wait until FP realizes the press release says CoD will merely "take off" in March and doesn't actually say the word release. He may need to go into permanent care.

:p
agreed....best get 911 on speed dial.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:51 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazex View Post
Well, as we first heard of this completely new engine beeing in development in 2004 and the first release date was in late 2006 I would be very amazed to hear that a bunch of talented developers have spent seven years modifying their old engine...
In 1993 a very prestigious auto maker unveiled a "New 911 Carerra". If Porsche can get away with calling a [then] 30-year-old design "new", why shouldn't Oleg try the same thing with "New Il-2 Sturmovik"?

Old 01-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Approved Member

This is embarrassing - you guys clearly know nothing about programming. Please STFU in regard to software engineering if you've no idea how it actually works. You can't criticise an engineering process if your understanding of it equates to a stone-age dude looking at space-ships and thinking he can spot flaws. Armchair muppets.

Sorry, bit of an aggressive response but then you're being wilfully arrogant about something you have no comprehension of. It's extremely neanderthal.

Last edited by Novotny; 01-20-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Approved Member

m8 if your talking to the author of this thread its a waste of time....he last his marbles long ago.
Closed Thread