Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avimimus View Post
Oleg knows that many in Eastern Europe either cannot afford or do not live near high-speed connections (similar to Canada). He also has state that it is the distributor (not the developer) that attaches the DRM.

Let me guess - You're from a reasonably large urban center, in a developed country and you're solidly middle-class with a comfortable economic life. It is a stretch - but I can guess that you're an American (as you guys seem to fear, rather than look out for, your neighbors).

Is any of this correct? How far off am I?
I don't know obout others, but I live in Brazil, I'm not rich, and if someone can build a system that will run OK CoD, MAYBE this consumer can afford some internet connection to activate a game...

If you live in a rural area of Bangladesh, you have other major problems to deal than "intrusive DRM". We aren't "snob", just pointing that the MAJORITY of people whinning about DRM aren't poor people... It's plain clear.

Simple as that. Is more a "moral' problem, and I agree with the criticism about DRM. DRM sucks. But isn't a "poor x rich" issue.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:16 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBiSoMeM View Post
I don't know obout others, but I live in Brazil, I'm not rich, and if someone can build a system that will run OK CoD, MAYBE this consumer can afford some internet connection to activate a game...

If you live in a rural area of Bangladesh, you have other major problems to deal than "intrusive DRM". We aren't "snob", just pointing that the MAJORITY of people whinning about DRM aren't poor people... It's plain clear.

Simple as that. Is more a "moral' problem, and I agree with the criticism about DRM. DRM sucks. But isn't a "poor x rich" issue.
+1
Old 01-18-2011, 02:39 PM
Approved Member

It's actually funny how many people in the US don't have access to broadband...

My uncle lives pretty far outside of any nearby town, and he has no option but a really crappy dial-up line. He also absolutely loves combat sims of all forms on the PC (his favorite being WWII subs and planes).

Well, Ubisoft has already effectively shut him out of Silent Hunter V, and now they're potentially going to shut him out of Oleg's new BoB sim (depending on their final DRM implementation)!

Maybe I'll end up boycotting Cliffs of Dover just like I'm still boycotting Silent Hunter V... Hey, Ubisoft! Not everyone has a constant internet connection (or one at all)!
Old 01-18-2011, 04:06 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drafting View Post
Maybe I'll end up boycotting Cliffs of Dover just like I'm still boycotting Silent Hunter V... Hey, Ubisoft! Not everyone has a constant internet connection (or one at all)!
You don't need constant internet connection to activate ONE TIME a title.

IL-2:CoD isn't Silent Hunter V.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBiSoMeM View Post
You don't need constant internet connection to activate ONE TIME a title.

IL-2:CoD isn't Silent Hunter V.

I certainly hope so. Ubi's DRM implementation will definitely determine the course of things...
Old 01-18-2011, 09:57 PM
Approved Member

One time activation is still rather annoying but a bit less onerous than continual connection, at least you can take your gaming rig to work or a friends to activate or maybe even borrow a wireless internet modem for the day.

Its an interesting psychological quirk that people that spend all day and night online just assume the whole world is also online.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:21 PM
Approved Member

why is this thread still flowing? there is no DRM , only once you have to be online, like you are now on the forums..