Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 12:09 PM
Approved Member

This is really the point I am making in that the whole idea is to get the consumer just where you want him so that the 'company' dictates the terms to the consumer with no personal componant and he has to agree to something whether he understands it or not and click on a box. It's a bit like the signing a pact with the devil idea. I am not versed in law, I was not aware of the licence business and I would appreciate you not attacking me over whether it is true that things in the US are owned or rented. From my viewpoint I thought that was the case but it may not be.
I takes all sorts to make a world.
Best regards,
SLP.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:31 PM
Approved Member

Pike

The point is.... the developer will sell you a product for a few bucks that costs them thousands to develope, if you respect their rights to the product. Tell me how these companies who provide a product you enjoy so much can stay in business if the first one they sell, is copied, changed, and sold or given away. With "you sold it to me I can do whatever I like" attitude.
The people who have hacked the game have put in jeopardy the future sales of possible 3rd party developers of the IL-2 series. And possibly put in jeopardy the code security of the SOW series, delaying development, or even making SOW not worth the effort. Extreme...yes but everything has its consequences.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:34 PM
Approved Member

"CONSEQUENCES", is a concept that most of the hackers have no comprehension of

They are part of that "I want it, and I want it NOW!" generation that simply are incapable of understanding how much they have damaged future developments
Old 11-26-2007, 11:25 PM
Approved Member

Indeed Wulf, indeed.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 11-27-2007, 01:22 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123-Wulf-123
"CONSEQUENCES", is a concept that most of the hackers have no comprehension of

They are part of that "I want it, and I want it NOW!" generation that simply are incapable of understanding how much they have damaged future developments
I hear you. I agree too. I've resolved in myself that there's nothing that can really be done. I can complain about it untill the cows come home. It's not going to change anything.

I hate the fact that one needs to take unnecessary precautions to play a fair game. (even if it is JUST the perception of illigitimate playing one must protect themselves from)

I was thinking of a funny thing concerning a picture at the UBI forums. A hacker posted a picture of the Salem Witch trials where they hung/stoned/ burned suspicious individuals. The poster didn't mention the difference between situations as related in 1600s and now. They weren't wiches back then..... but they ARE hackers today.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:02 AM
Approved Member

Dear Chivas,
No I do not like the idea of someone taking the product and immediately copying it a million times. This would indeed jepardise any future sales of the product and would not give any financial return. But equally I do not like the idea of returns of the likes of Bill Gates who has ridiculous sums of money for his 8hrs a day plus overtime. I suppose it comes down to why hackers do it. In this case I don't think the hackers have done it for financial gain, but for trying to include all those aircraft etc that everyone would like. It is obvious that Oleg and his crew would never be able to accomodate everyone even if he was not involved with SOW BOB. It just shows how popular this game is. But the life of the game will be extended far longer than it otherwise would be, so in a way there are benefits and I'm sure that Oleg had no doubt that eventually it would be hacked by someone.
At the moment there is a British man in the news who is accused of breaching US security and they are trying to extradite him to be tried in the US. He does not deny what he did because he was just curious, but he strongly disputes the amount of damage he did by doing it. To me it smacks of "throw the book at him" attitude of the US defence network so they exaggerate things out of all proportion.
Best regards,
SLP
Old 11-27-2007, 09:14 AM
Approved Member

Sorry but I don't quite get it.

I thought that with the serverside consistency check set to 2, you cannot play with the sound mod/hack on that server?

So where's the problem? Did I miss something?
Old 11-27-2007, 11:17 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike
This is really the point I am making in that the whole idea is to get the consumer just where you want him so that the 'company' dictates the terms to the consumer with no personal componant and he has to agree to something whether he understands it or not and click on a box.
Sorry dude but the EULA cleary states that it's a legal agreement. If you agree to something you don't understand, you are the one at fault. There is no one pointing a gun at your head forcing you to click on that box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike
At the moment there is a British man in the news who is accused of breaching US security and they are trying to extradite him to be tried in the US. He does not deny what he did because he was just curious, but he strongly disputes the amount of damage he did by doing it. To me it smacks of "throw the book at him" attitude of the US defence network so they exaggerate things out of all proportion.
If he knew that he was not authorized to do what he was doing then game over. If he actually hacked security measures (as opposed to just finding something unsecured) into sensitive military information then he should be executed. I would expect (and I would demand) no less from the UK or any other country if the roles were reversed.

--Outlaw.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:24 PM
Approved Member

Dear Outlaw,
According to him there were no passwords but I don't know about the authorization bit. Execution is a little excessive and short-sighted don't you think?
Also, that is a bit of a convienience isn't it.......you are at fault if you don't fully understand it.....I suppose you are supposed to pay a fortune to a lawyer to have it explained to you, which if you are not that rich is excessive. I just find it interesting that life is full of situations where "sod you, I'm all right Jack" is embraced and there is little room for understanding or charity and yet we claim belief in fare play and decency. We all know that there are people who will rob and steal out there and many do it legally because of technicalities.
best regards,
SLP
Old 11-27-2007, 12:43 PM
Approved Member

Never quite understood this EULA thing.Is it American?
Closed Thread