Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War

Men of War New World War II strategy game

Old 06-10-2010, 12:30 AM
Approved Member

Default Singleplayer and realism

Just curious about this as I am at the moment having quite some trouble enjoying singleplayer/coop missions with the game.

I mean could someone explain to me what the reason is behind making the Missions and most particularly units in Singleplayer so damn unrealistic ?

I mean no one is expecting everything to be 100% realistic. And I see the reason of lowering the range for most guns considering the small ranges you have on maps for example. Sure no big deal. As long the enemy suffers the same penality.

But seriously what is the reason behind making certain weapons so ridiculous ? Most particularly anti tank rockets. I noticed many times that the rockets regardles if Panzerfaust, Bazooka, Schreck etc. are completely or almost completely useless regarding armor. Even extremly light armor ! The Panzer IV, Panther, Tiger, hell even the Panzer III and Flak tanks with extremly light armor taking shells and rockets like nothing ... its so far that I dont use them anymore and give them AT nades on mass as they work better then ANY rocket or even anti tank I used so far. Almost always instand kill or damage. Though it should be actualy the other way since those grenades have not been very effective. Most of them have been pretty poor even.

But you notice this as well a lot when using captured equipmet. I mean whats up with the Panzer III deflecting PAk40 shells from the front ... or the Panzer IV H for that matter. I spend sometimes 3 or 4 shoots on the side of a Tiger I, from extremly close range with a good angle. And the Panther took 3 shoots even ... Same when I used the captured Panther against the Tiger I. The tank should not even have trouble to penetrate the FRONT of the Tiger. Leaving alone its side ... yet in singleplayer ...

Why is it so extremly different to multiplayer ? I have no issues with difficult missions. But I actualy dont have much fun with such unbelievable traits ... but what is the intention behind it ?

I really hope there will be more work on that part in the future. As one part of the game should be to experience the same good fighting in Singleplayer as you do in Multiplayer. And part of that is to have effective weapons just as you would expect it from them ~ I mean seriously a straight hit with a rocket to the side or back of the the turret ...
Old 06-10-2010, 02:13 AM
Approved Member

Lolz, so I guess im not alone in my insanity, others have the same trouble with AT Guns and Shaped Charge Infantry guns being useless..atleast in SP =P One reason I think, for the Infantry guns being lame is b/c in thier damage fiels the Infantry weapons only have damage numbers...no penetration numbers..the others idk whats up there
Old 06-10-2010, 02:30 AM
Banned

Unfortunately Best Way made the very "wise" decision to have different weapon settings for SP and MP. MP works very well, whilst the SP weapons are incredible nerfed or overpowered, for example I´ve lost T34´s which has been hit frontally from extreme ranges by the short 75mm KwK37 used by the Pz.Kpfw. IV Ausf. F1, which in real life were extremely rare. In the SP game this happens more often than anything else.

All RPG weapons (panzerfaust, bazooka etc) also suffers from the same nerfing idioticy... however this was an easy fix.

To fix the SP values, you will need to rework all the guns available in the game, something that takes a lot of time. And I really don´t understand why most, if not all, vehicles in the game, has the correct fuel amount (more or less) in MP, whilst in SP all tanks etc has only 250 litres of fuel as maximum...

~Zeke.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:20 AM
Approved Member

do tankls really drink thier gas as fast in RL as they do in MP? Those tanks are empty before they even get across the map...especially Disaster and Desert Walk haha. I know they drink it fast but holy gas guzzling monsters of doom I went through like 6 supply trucks once on that Desert Walk map just taking thier gas out of them for my tanks.....
Old 06-10-2010, 06:58 AM
Approved Member

Yes I know it's ridiculous. COMPLETELY ridiculous. But we don't have this problem in multiplayer.

Everything is generally much more realistic in mutliplayer, so no super AT nades/howitzers or worthless shaped charge handheld weapons.....
Old 06-10-2010, 09:00 AM
Approved Member

IMO, this is all wrong. This game takes a lot of time and patience to learn and patience. Making SP and MP incompatible doesn't make it any easier. SP, by all means, should provide some sort of traing ground for MP.

Ps. No wonder I didn't like/use bazooka type weapons in MP at first.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightFandragon View Post
Lolz, so I guess im not alone in my insanity, others have the same trouble with AT Guns and Shaped Charge Infantry guns being useless..atleast in SP =P One reason I think, for the Infantry guns being lame is b/c in thier damage fiels the Infantry weapons only have damage numbers...no penetration numbers..the others idk whats up there
Well its somewhat intersting how shots from a PAK40 to the s ide of a panther or a Panther gun to the side of the Tiger I many times do nothing at all but surprisingly the small AT grenades not only damage the turret of heavy tanks but crack the hull many times with ease!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke Wolff View Post
Unfortunately Best Way made the very "wise" decision to have different weapon settings for SP and MP. MP works very well, whilst the SP weapons are incredible nerfed or overpowered, for example I´ve lost T34´s which has been hit frontally from extreme ranges by the short 75mm KwK37 used by the Pz.Kpfw. IV Ausf. F1, which in real life were extremely rare. In the SP game this happens more often than anything else.
Well it would make sense for the Panzer IV E to eventualy destroy the T34 and other armored tanks if you got hit by a HEAT shell (which is more less a big shaped charge as shell) which achieved quite good penetration ... but since Men of War has no HEAT shells ... its ridiculous yeah. On the other side. Even with HEAT the acuracy of the short 75 would be very poor. Its no anti tank gun. That for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightFandragon View Post
do tankls really drink thier gas as fast in RL as they do in MP? Those tanks are empty before they even get across the map...especially Disaster and Desert Walk haha. I know they drink it fast but holy gas guzzling monsters of doom I went through like 6 supply trucks once on that Desert Walk map just taking thier gas out of them for my tanks.....
Depends on the vehicle a Tiger II will run out a lot faster of fuel compared to a T34. But thats quite obvious. But actual I hink no most vehicles had enough fuel for at least 100km. And most light/medium tanks even for more. The T34 and IS2 I think got even extra barrels with fuel on their armor later. If they received so much fuel is a different question though. One could "eventualy" imagine that when you get access to armor in MoW they had already to travel some distance to the battlefield I mean the armor never gets just delivered directly to the battlefield they usualy arrive from already prepared positions which can be anything between 10 and 50km (it depends a lot where you have access to streets and most imporantly railroads for example this was less of an issue for the soviets though since their tanks had usualy quite good access to fuel and they would rather drive then use the railroad).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzaD View Post
Ps. No wonder I didn't like/use bazooka type weapons in MP at first.
Well honestly they are not THAT much better in MP either had here to many times issues with rockets even the German onces which usualy have the best penetration ...

There are quite a lot of differences in MP and SP particularly with AT guns and tanks. It seems some light vehicles on the british side are substanitlay more powerfull compared to MP or what one would expect ~ you cant explain it otherwise why some vehicles in the african champaign manage to destroy your Panzer IV on the FRONT with very light guns. Like the Crussaider or Cromwell tanks which had a lot of trouble with the Panzer IV F2 or mark IV special how it was called by the Brits.

---------------------

*Edit
Meh ... just again. How is this supposed to be fun ? Shermans with their 76mm gun destroying the Jagdpanthers front from extrem distance with the first shoot are they using some kind of 76mm on crack or something shooting uranium depleted APDFSDFSSDGCFGH shells ?... lovely. Really. So much to verisimilitude and authenticity ...

I am curious if that will be corrected in future games ... it really starts to be frustrating.

Last edited by Crni vuk; 06-10-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Approved Member

in MoW, AT rounds=HEAT shells.

Steel rounds weren't used during the 40's
Old 06-12-2010, 12:06 AM
Approved Member

hmm ? Of course they where ...

HEAT was pretty rare at any time with any vehicle. Usualy the Panzer IV e would not carry more then eventualy 4 or 5. Same for the Stug with a short gun. The Sherman 75 received a few as well and probably many other tanks if they have been available.

Most guns used at least till 1940/41 simple AP penetrators which have been usualy steel. A few guns like the 2pf or was it 6pf ? used APDS or APCR.
~ It seems the 6 pounder received a few special shells:
Initially the anti-tank ammunition was represented by a basic Armour-Piercing (AP) shot, but by January 1943 an Armour-Piercing, Capped (APC) shot and an Armour-Piercing, Capped, Ballistically Capped (APCBC) shots were supplied. A HE shell was produced so that the gun could be used against unarmoured targets as well.
Thats what I could get from wikipeda. I had better pages but cant find them anymore. Anyway but I think the APCR really started to apear with the germans on the Panzer III in relation with the upguned Panzer III F or G eventualy which used the 5 cm gun now. But I am not sure. I would have to look deeper in it. But its definetly fact that HEAT shells have been always quite rare and many tanks didnt even got them ~ like the Panther. Particularly in the begining the understanding of HEAT and Shaped charges was not complet. So making them was quite difficult compared to usual AP shells. many times the HEAT shells have been used later to give guns of smaller caliber a increase in penetration that was in no relation to the used caliber as you could achieve that way much more penetration then with a usual AP shell of that size. THere have been also for example attempts to develop some kind of "rifle grenade" for weapons like the 3,7-cm Pak 35/36 to increase their power without developing a completely new weapon as with the start of the war the 37mm guns proved to be pretty useless ~ many times those weapons would have been give for example to troops of other nations which served either in the Wehrmacht or as support to the German Army like the Romanian divisions for example. But even this improvements proved to be of lidle value and served as nothing more then desperate attempts as they could not replace a larger gun like the Pak40/41,43 or even a tank.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:20 AM
Approved Member

Try SP on Hard, and look for any difference.