Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War

Men of War New World War II strategy game

Old 06-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crni vuk View Post
something different though, is it normal that one can sometimes not see enemy artillery firing ? I noticed that while gaming that I can see the enemy artillery when its firing and sometimes I would see nothing at all. Has that something to do with how close your troops are to it (so they could hear and see it eventualy) that you can know its exact location ?
I guess, thats all that I can figure out from it. Sometimes ill see tanks sitting out a long ways out where otherwise I wouldnt and even at times Ive seen, for a very breif second when my opponent deploys a vehicle. It flashes on the minimap for like a second then it goes away. It must be that infantry can see it if they have a good enough view or something
Old 06-21-2010, 10:07 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightFandragon View Post
I wish tanks had thier smoke shells to =D Smoke is like the one thing that is missing from this game that is keeping it from being the ultimate WWII RTS =D Id love nothing more than to be able to launch a mass assault w/ Halftracks, that dont die to 50cals, a few tanks moving up while the infantry use it as cover, some mortars in support and a nice pre-attack air strike of P47s or Stukas....w/e haha. I can almost do it in this game but thre is no smoke to cover my advance....those panzy infantry smoke nades dont count
Use creeping artillery/infantry tactics.

As for when you see a vehicle spawn on the map, its not easy to fix if you can. What happens is this:
1. Your enemy calls in a tank
2. Tank spawns first
3. Adjusts decals such as camo and texture on said tank
4. Tank crewmen are spawned into tank
5. Tank crewmen are set to play as player 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.
6. Tank is ready all in 0.2 seconds depending on PC speed.

The reason you see the tank is because of 4 mainly, along with another string of ordered commands such as AI tweaking and such that cost tank spawning a extra tenth of a second.

Last edited by Korsakov829; 06-21-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:34 PM
Approved Member

SU-100 is crap. Due 2 it's low height it increases the slope of enemy units it is aiming at, while decreasing her own slope against enemy tanks (because all tanks are far higher than the su-100). Ofc this wouldn't be an issue in real life as the SU-100 was used as an ambush tank killer but MoW maps are 2 small.

ISU-152 was king though. Just like IRL it is an extremely good tank killer, and can fire at enemy units behind a hill (so being kinda invulnerable).
Old 07-02-2010, 12:39 AM
Approved Member

The SU-85 is alot better then the SU-100, and cheaper and faster then the ISU-152. But if you are after the ultimate tank destroyer, try a Jagdtiger. Put it in the right place, cover your flanks and your rear, any tank that comes near is dead. Accurate 152mm AP and HE shells, can easily take out tanks from the front. If you cant pierce the front armor you can at least stun the enemy tank and send someone to flank it. Try it if you ever get enough points, put it in a pass and it can provide alot of cover to advancing tanks.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Approved Member

the Jagdtiger had a 128mm gun a drivate also know as the PAK44 when used as anti tank weapon . I think the "Sturer Emil" which was a form of protytpe/special vehicle had as well some 12,8cm gun. But I am not sure if it was the same type as used later with the Jagdtiger ~ I doubt it as the PAK44 entered service much later while the Sturer Emil was used in the east in 41 and there have been only around 3 units or so. Though I think it had a specially designed own version called 12,8cm K L/61 or something while the Jagdtiger had the Pak44.

Some Jagdtiger version in the last month of the war got also the Tiger II 88mm high velocity gun cause of a shortage in the 128mm. I think those Jagdtiger had the designation Jagdtiger with 88mm gun.

THough I think one vehicle that need some serious nerfing is the Sturmtiger. The Axis side has already the advantage of huge armor that is almost inpenetrabale at the front, artillery units like the Hummel and Panzerwerfer with good hiting power AND with the Sturmtiger on their side they have a good vehicle that is capable of destryoing any heavy target by the other other nations inlcuind the IS3 and T29 ~ why is the T29 more expensive then the Tiger II when in game it is in fact a worse vehicle? Anyway. I think what would help here is if the Sturmtiger would get a "more or less" realistic reload animation. The vehicle had a crane to load the 38cm mortar in to the gun from the roof.

Usualy loading the weapon would take around 40-50 min. (depending on the crew) but I think that might not work with the game. What would work very well though is to see some of the crew EXIT the vehicle using the crane to load the Sturmtiger (and thus making it vulnerable to artillery and small arms fire!) AND make it impossible to move the vehicle while you reload it, so that if you want to move it away you have to stop the reload cycle, move it to a save distance and reload it eventualy there. Same could apply for all the other rocket artillery like the Land Matress, Katyusha, Caliope and Nebelwerfer/Maultier. You should not be able to move them around AND reload them at the same time! Reloading any of the rocket artillery was a very time consuming affair which was one of the major disadvantages of those vehicles cause they hvae been pretty vulnerable during that time.

As it can be seen here the hatch on the roof for the crane to load the shell.

Russian soldiers with the Katyusha. Imagine how long it would take to reload all those tubes

Reloading all those units should leave those vehicles in a very vulnerable state.

Last edited by Crni vuk; 07-02-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:05 PM
Approved Member

My bad, I thought the Jagdtiger had a 152mm, but it is very good.

The reload time is very slow, but thats why there is always more then one, for constant fire.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:53 PM
Approved Member

I don't think Artillery or RT is over powered, but that's not to say I don't think its very powerful, but when you spread your infantry out it tends not to do a huge amount of damage and very rarely hits on target.

Sure it can be a real pain in the butt to cancel out. RT seems to work much like heavy tanks where more often than not they just cancel each other out.

I'm not a fan of Artillery so when I host a game I normally tick the no RT box so the heavies indirect weapon you get is the mortar which is quite powerful enough.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:37 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crni vuk View Post

why is the T29 more expensive then the Tiger II when in game it is in fact a worse vehicle? Anyway. I think what would help here is if the Sturmtiger would get a "more or less" realistic reload animation. The vehicle had a crane to load the 38cm mortar in to the gun from the roof.

The T29 is prolly more expensive then the King Tiger maybe to represent its rarity a little bit seeing how it never actually was in the war at all......regardless the price as the allies im glad to have it hahaha. As for the Sturmtiger it is a deadly piece in game but it has a reload time of 2 rounds a game and only has like maybe 10 rounds total....ive not bought it but Ive seen it and I know it needs a supply truck hitched to its back or its gunna be outta rounds before it does anything else...As for the crew outside the vehicles, while thats a kewl idea in game it wouldnt work that well b/c as soon as it fired it would never get to fire again, enemy artillery would juist shoot the crew and then youd prolly never get it loaded to use it again.....
Old 07-02-2010, 09:55 PM
Approved Member

Enemey artillery is avoidable. Just keep on the move, unless you got a huge artillery battery emplacement.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:38 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
The T29 is prolly more expensive then the King Tiger maybe to represent its rarity a little bit seeing how it never actually was in the war at all......regardless the price as the allies im glad to have it hahaha.
Dunno. Cant say if that really is the reason behind it. But I never had the Feeling MoW was going with how rare a vehicle is otherwise the KV85 and IS1 would have to cost almost as much like the Kingtiger when you consider that there have been how many KV85 ? Maybe 150 ? Or from the IS1, not much more either. And most got loost during the war

The Tiger II is in MoW more expensive then the Jagdtiger and Elefant yet there have been more Tiger II produced then Jagdtigers and Elefant together as there have been somewhat around 88 Jagdtigers and 90 Elefants produced (and 50 of those Elefants have been loost at Kursk the rest was send later to Italy or something). Particularly the Elefant was not a own design but just a product of the Tiger I project where they had some 90 Tiger I protoype chassis left and decided to make it a tankhunter before throwing it away.

So I think the numbers refelct somewhat how usefull or powerfull a vehicle is in the game as the Tiger II has a very powerfull gun and turret. The Jagdtiger not.

Hence why I am confused by the T29 beeing so expensive when it has less chance to take out the Tiger II then the Tiger II the T29. You just have to get close enough and can penetrate its hull while the T29 cant do the same. If anthing the T29 should be cheaper then the Tiger II.

Quote:
As for the Sturmtiger it is a deadly piece in game but it has a reload time of 2 rounds a game and only has like maybe 10 rounds total....ive not bought it but Ive seen it and I know it needs a supply truck hitched to its back or its gunna be outta rounds before it does anything else...As for the crew outside the vehicles, while thats a kewl idea in game it wouldnt work that well b/c as soon as it fired it would never get to fire again, enemy artillery would juist shoot the crew and then youd prolly never get it loaded to use it again.....
Its simply a overpowered piece of equipment and I have the feeling it was more or less just simply aded to the game for the "luzl" or "kewl" factor so one can look and say ooh it has shiny sturmtiger making a big BUMB!.

As for the crew outside the vehicles, while thats a kewl idea in game it wouldnt work that well b/c as soon as it fired it would never get to fire again,
And then we would somewhat move to what it is from a realistc point of view. THe Sturmtiger was a extremly rare vehicle with eventualy only 12 or 15 ever built. There was the order from hitler to convert every month 5 tiger tank chassis ~ as that was the base, to the Sturmtiger but this was never ever realised. They had already enough problems to keep the usual production of Tigers and Panthers runing. On the other original idea for the Sturmtiger came from the experience in Stalingrad where the troops demanded a very well protected vehicle with a powerfull gun to simply blow any building or bunker in their path away. Obviously a hit by the 38cm rocket mortar in to a column of tanks would prove devastating as well. One of the few cases where the Sturmtiger saw action was during the Ardenes I think. And here it did struck the enemy very hard when ever it was used simply cause of the phsychological effect of the heavy weapon! As soon the gun fired the one or other round it had emidiately to relocate its position as the enemy would concentrate all its artillery on finding and destroying the vehicle.

So If it it happens that you loose your infantry which is reloading the Sturmtiger to enemy artillery fire then its just representing somewhat a realistic behaviour and it means you have to take care when and how to use it.

At the moment I have seen so many matches where people blow the IS3 away with it and you cant do anything. Regardless how good you play at that moment while on the other side you cant do anything against the Tiger II or Jagdtiger. So the Germans hvae here a formidable tank killer while the other nations can only duck and cover.

But as said thats just my oppinion