Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War

Men of War New World War II strategy game

Old 06-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Approved Member

I think heavy artillery is realistic... In game terms its max range is ~ 6000 meters.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:24 AM
Approved Member

It seems that few people don't like artillery, for me is the best weapon in the game, alittle bit unreal but is fine when you "KNOW' how to use it.
That's the reason why many people dont like it, they don't know how to manuver them. for example when i play the game i start making a solid frontline with many infantery hiden on the bushes, then i bring a light vechicle with a heavy tank to that front to support the infantery then its time to build a solid artillery line, with germans i use a hummel with 2 heavy connons, shift 1,2 & 3, after this you can build another line of tigers panthers and knight tigers ( 4 or 5). Be aware of any enemy soldier close to ur fontline, if u see something use ur 3 artillery weapons to fire behind the enemy lines no matter if u cant see anything later, when is time to push the front line, start to fire the artillery again in anticipation of an offensive. althought i like artillery because its a "physiological" weapon i garantee you that at the end of the game you will end up killing more enemy sodiers that anyone else.

rayaboy.

Last edited by G. Martel; 06-04-2010 at 04:47 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:04 AM
Approved Member

I dont like artillery not b/c I dont know how to use it, but b/c it takes the tactics out of the game. People just set up a line enough to prevent the enemty from just charging forward and commence to buy 2, 3, 4 oor more artillery guns and sit there w/a commander blowing the living crap out of everything and thats the game. its like the Battle of the Artillery Batteries. Everytime you try and make a move, you get spotted and bombarded by half a corps of Artillery, all your infantry die, the tanks are detracked and then your screwed b/c w/ arty in the game your never going to get a detrack fixed. Make it the US and a couple of Calliopes and they will shell-hack anything and everything that even thinks about thinking about showing its face, pretty much a walk in the park for the US. They detrack every enemy tank, kill all the infantry and just march up the board under a walking barrage of rockets.......no fun....I dont even find that fun as the US...I play to actually see some good fire fights and arty those dont happen. The Germans are stuck just rebuying infantry to set up thier infantry screens only to have them blwon away before they are deployed. So there is no way they will get anything big to counter the US arty.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:48 AM
Approved Member

what im trying to say is that every component in the battle is essential for your tactics/strategy.
-the main component is the infantery,
-light vehicles for support the infantery
-heavy tanks mainly for assaults and support
-Artillery is good for repressing the enemy. also for clean the way when you are ready for a rush.

every component has is own job, if you take out the artillery is like a tank missing its cannon.

rayaboy.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:31 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightFandragon View Post
I dont like artillery not b/c I dont know how to use it, but b/c it takes the tactics out of the game. People just set up a line enough to prevent the enemty from just charging forward and commence to buy 2, 3, 4 oor more artillery guns and sit there w/a commander blowing the living crap out of everything and thats the game. its like the Battle of the Artillery Batteries.
i think "heavy arty" spamer havent any tactical gameplay. playing against a "heavy arty" spamer (eg. 2x D1 + 1 ISU-152) is only a "lucky punsh" gameing. you can play with best tactical, but against heavy arty batteries you need only luck.
in MoW:AS heavy arty will have a massive limitation, these makes me confident, seeing more tactical gameplay again.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Approved Member

I hope they wont make the guns completely useless though
Old 06-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Approved Member

I've had no problems against enemy heavy artillery. I just rush in 4 infantry squads and a jeep, then steal the guns. Artillery can not turn fast enough unless its a ISU-152 or the like. Of course, thats on unprotected artillery. On protected artillery I would just sneak in some flame throwers or dynamite them with a scout.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Approved Member

I wish art could fire smoke changes to provide cover for your advancing units or to blind the enemy temporarily. Esp, that would be useful for attacing a flag in the open, where infantry is prone to any mortar and artilery fire. That would be cool. What do you think?
Old 06-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Approved Member

I wish tanks had thier smoke shells to =D Smoke is like the one thing that is missing from this game that is keeping it from being the ultimate WWII RTS =D Id love nothing more than to be able to launch a mass assault w/ Halftracks, that dont die to 50cals, a few tanks moving up while the infantry use it as cover, some mortars in support and a nice pre-attack air strike of P47s or Stukas....w/e haha. I can almost do it in this game but thre is no smoke to cover my advance....those panzy infantry smoke nades dont count
Old 06-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Approved Member

I agree more and better smoke systems would be welcome. Using the smoke grenades just doesnt cut it for me. They can be very helpfull. But using it is very limited. Particularly since the yield of them is to small. Artillery could fire a heavy smoke shell that could really blind or cover a whole area.

something different though, is it normal that one can sometimes not see enemy artillery firing ? I noticed that while gaming that I can see the enemy artillery when its firing and sometimes I would see nothing at all. Has that something to do with how close your troops are to it (so they could hear and see it eventualy) that you can know its exact location ?