Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War

Men of War New World War II strategy game

Old 06-01-2010, 11:45 PM
Registered Member

Default Artillery

Anyone else find artillery in MOW to be a little unrealistic and overpowered, perhaps even ... a tad ridiculous?
The first time I saw a video of a MOW battle on YouTube, when I saw a Katyusha barrage my first reaction was, "WOW that looks silly!"; I mean the Katyusha was on the other side of some buildings and seemed to fire all of 40 metres, and the barrage was like the end of the world!
It looked cartoonish!
Kind of destroyed the illusion of realism for me.

Mortars seem fine, at least in scale(although who knew that WW2 mortar rounds were actually laser guided homing missiles?), but larger calibres just get more and more absurd.

Heavy artillery just won't fit on such small scale battlefields.
Why not have an option for purchasing off-map artillery support missions instead?
Old 06-02-2010, 01:56 AM
Approved Member

Oh yeah, definitly, Artillery is rediculous, US anyway. The M114 155mm howitzer for the US is a sniper and WILL follow you around the board while German Artillery fires way long, way short, and never really gets in the zip code of the target. The Russian Artillery is god, the ISU152, its both armored like battleship and its gun annihilates stuff in record time. So yeah, I never really liked arty in small scale battles like this either...the game always turns into 40minutes of high caliber shell slinging and noone really does much. No Arty makes for a more fun game where you actually have to think, manuver, fight....play the game...yeah...not just press the easy button and blow the living hooo ha out of everything w/ large caliber guns. I agree if there is going to be Artillery and Planes they should be off board call ins using your points just like any normal unit, fire its set firemission and stop, then for planes do just like in CoH, it flies in, drops its load and goes away.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:42 AM
Approved Member

i never play with artillery is just no fun in it.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:53 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightFandragon View Post
Oh yeah, definitly, Artillery is rediculous, US anyway. The M114 155mm howitzer for the US is a sniper and WILL follow you around the board while German Artillery fires way long, way short, and never really gets in the zip code of the target. The Russian Artillery is god, the ISU152, its both armored like battleship and its gun annihilates stuff in record time. So yeah, I never really liked arty in small scale battles like this either...the game always turns into 40minutes of high caliber shell slinging and noone really does much. No Arty makes for a more fun game where you actually have to think, manuver, fight....play the game...yeah...not just press the easy button and blow the living hooo ha out of everything w/ large caliber guns. I agree if there is going to be Artillery and Planes they should be off board call ins using your points just like any normal unit, fire its set firemission and stop, then for planes do just like in CoH, it flies in, drops its load and goes away.
I think the guns are quite even for all sides.

The ISU152 isnt that great by the way. The Panzer IV can do some damage already and its very easy to damage it. You dont need always to destroy it. Its already enough if you either imobilize it or destroy its gun. And considering how huge the gun is thats quite easy.

On the other side the Germans have one of the best self propeled artillery the Hummel. Once you get 2 of them even heavy tanks are in danger. Got sometimes a pershing with them.

The M114, well I dont find it more accurate then the D1 or german artillery.

I agree the katyusha is a quite powerfull weapon but its extremly vulnerable particiularly to enemy artillery. You dont even have to hit it just shoot next to it and it will blow up. Very easily. It has no armor values. And since the last patch its potential on armor has been decreased a lot at least when used against heavier armor. Light armor is still very vulnerable to the Katyusha. But to really destroy a heavy vehicle you have to hit the engine of the tank directly which is not that easy its a game of luck. Now its already enough if you damage the tank. Which is not completely unrealistic.

But true is that Artillery particularly on matches with many points somehow make the game sometimes pretty tedius. But one has also to say without artillery many times enough you would have almost no chance against the German heavy tanks since the artillery has a good chance to imobilizing a Jagd or Kingtiger. And you know nothing is more annoying then geting your infantry always killed while trying to fix the track !

If you play a map like canyon with artillery on ... well its a bit your fault as well. You can always read the map and the describtion of the game before the game starts. And on such small maps with artillery availble and many points you KNOW it will be used.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:10 AM
Approved Member

I know Katyushas are butter but killing tanks w/ Hummels? how haha. Ive fired that hummel and it just hits the top of the tank, if it hits at all and just stuns the crew and makes a big explosion, thats it. I usually play with arty off b/c it lags the crap outta this PC im on haha. Also, Canyon, Road and Winter Church are 3 maps that are on my never play list and i never have...hate those 3. I despise small maps in any game, so Warehouse is kinda on there to lol. But yeah, Canyon with Artillery is purely for noobs haha. The Hummel the other day i used it from like 130away and it missed its target by about 30m and it was way long but it hit a glob of my enemies infantry and got like 8 dudes. Was a nice shot but my target was some 57mm ZiS4. How is the Su 152 no good? Ive seen it and it has killed my King Tigers on the frontal hull in 1 shot, blowing it into 50 pieces. Id consider that good, plus its pretty accurate. The Su152 and KV2 and Calliope are prolly the best Arty pieces, they are armored and artillery
Old 06-02-2010, 07:45 AM
Approved Member

i realy hate this heavy arty in MoW. spawning this units dont need any tactical gameplay & this heavy arty can destroy 95% of all tanks.

i think all heavy arty is too powerfull & to accurate. heavy arty should support infantry and not tankkiller #1.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:04 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
I know Katyushas are butter but killing tanks w/ Hummels? how haha.
With a hit to the engine or the top of the turret. Its dificult with heavy armor. But it can work sometimes. I destroyed pershings, panthers and other tanks that way. Though not intentionaly usualy. Its more a rare situation. And takes 2 Hummels since its increasing the rate of fire.

Quote:
How is the Su 152 no good?
Cause its neither a good tank killer nor a good artillery. Its a "do it all" unit.

To be a succesfull tank killer it lacks the needed accuracy. To be a succesfull artillery unit it has not enough shells, lacks range and compared to usual artillery the arc of fire is to flat (buildings and obstacles can block it). The SU122 for example is a better infantry support unit it can fire fast is quite powerfull and has enough shells. It also can be deployed behind obstacles. The ISU152 is far from beeing useless. Its a nice unit if deployed carefully and I prefer it to the SU100 cause the ISU has also a 12mm MG on its top which is extremly usefull. But its easy to take it out once you spoted it cause as already said its size makes it visible and easy to hit. The ISUs gun makes a big part of its front which means to hit it is very likely loost my ISU that way often enough cause the acuracy isnt that great and the enemy would damage the gun. Killing the Tiger II from the front is also more a rare situation It never happend to me (it was always a shot to the side or the side of the turret while aiming at the enemy). Remember the turret of the Tiger II is quite vulnerable on its side. I would like to see more effects when the Tiger II is hit by the ISU HE shell on the front. Maybe not destryong the vhicle but killing the crew inside eventualy.

But well artillery isnt the first choice of killing tanks though. Dont forget it happens many times that at some point most of the infantry is dead with artillery and they will start to shoot tanks. It usualy doesnt take it out with the first hit though.

And by the way artillery has been used a few times to destroy tanks. Of course not with one gun but with a whole barrage involving several guns. But still.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:23 AM
Approved Member

For sure it doesnt have enough ammo, like the IS2/3 its got like 20 shells and thats it. I think most Arty units in this game have low ammo count. The ISU is a big target and easy ot hit but it has the armor, both frontal and side to take the blows. Only from 90 or less in game and with a few very lucky, well placed shots w/ a King Tiger have I killed a SU152. Its armored well for sure, that alone would make me buy it over the rest of those SU's which are armored not that much better then the T34. Sure Ammo is a slight issue for the Russian big guns but thats what the Ammo truck is for, I usually cart one of those around somewhere in my rear lines
Old 06-02-2010, 09:00 AM
Approved Member

ISU-152 is the worst tankkiller #1 ingame. with ISU-152 HE ammo you can kill all tanks till jagdpanther, pershing, tiger, centurion .... frontaly without any problems (useing max. range).
killing ISU-152 frontaly needs >100mm penetration -> at this distance ISU-152 can kill most tanks frontaly with HE or AP.

sometimes i saw ISU-152 or KV-2 killed KTs frontaly with HE -> HE hit turret from KT -> KT lost whole turret. LOL

same with HE from IS-2 or IS-3 against tiger/panther/pershing. HE hit turret -> tank lost whole turret.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiKye200 View Post
Why not have an option for purchasing off-map artillery support missions instead?
Thats not ever going to happen for MP. It would just crush frontlines with no real fighting left for the infantry. It would just destroy entire hill fortifications.