Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:50 PM
Approved Member

For me it was a step forward just being able to use vsync. They could really start getting a handle on control issues soon now that performance is no longer abysmal.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Approved Member

On the performance side, i hope they manage to get the game recongizable by Ati cards so that they properly throttle up.

I use a 4890 1Gb, imagine my surprise when i saw that it kept running at the "desktop" settings (low power consumption, underclocked to 240 Mhz). I manually forced the clocks to their factory standard of 850Mhz with a 3rd party tool and it's a whole different sim, no stutters at all above 300ft or so (just lower FPS over London) and smooth 25 to 60 FPS in most other cases.

The only problem is that the stock driver utility does this better, using the 3rd party tool i get an unstable PC that results in a reboot after 40 minutes or so. I tried setting it to 750Mhz, increasing the fan speed, etc but it will still do it after a while.
In other games that are recognized by the driver as the GPU being in 3d mode, it scales up properly and never has a problem.

The other important bit as far as performance fixes go would be what they were already working on, improving multiplayer stability.

As for gameplay fixes the list is not small but hopefully they are easier to deal with.

Just as a friendly reminder, this is what i've been able to gather from my own experience and that of others. Some of these issues have a significant effect on the ability to use certain features in the way they were intended to (for example, the Ju88 is almost useless as a level bomber until its gyrocompass is fixed, because that's what the bombing autopilot uses), others not so much but it would still be nice to see them fixed eventually.

In any case these are what seems to be the gameplay issues that most people talk about:

- corrected auto-mixture, service ceilings and top speeds for the aircraft that are currently affected

- corrected mixture controls and their travel direction in the Tiger Moth and Hurricane

- making the Spit Ia a constant prop speed variant to match the spinner we see in the selection screen...currently Mk.I is the battle of France Spit with two-stage prop, Mk.II is fine more or less and Mk.Ia was supposed to be a battle of Britain Mk.I with a constant speed prop, but while the 3d model has the CSP the flight model uses a two-stage prop...this would cover all major variants of the Spit up to that point and put the issue to rest

- Ju88 gyro-compass fixed, it currently doesn't move...also an explanation on why the course autopilot in other LW aircraft with a working gyro-compass drifts 5-10 degrees off course, even when properly aligning the compass card before engaging it...is it a bug or a realistic limitation?

- Currently the bomb release command doesn't work from the bombardier's position...not such a big deal if you have a lofte that drops automatically, but for the blenheim and Br.20 that drop manually it's a bit frantic having to zoom out and click on the bomb release switch with the mouse, or switching to the pilot's seat and pressing the release key from there.
These two also lack an autopilot, so a revised, more realistic method of controlling them than level stabilizer would be a very welcome bonus. For example, we could assign keys to left/right/center commands that only function if we are occupying the bombardier's seat. This would simulate the bombardier guiding the pilot through the bomb run, while the AI flies the aircraft at level flight and makes course corrections on command.

- fixing the radio command menu

- fixing skins, squadron, etc and load-out selections

- turret controls in certain bombers are reversed

I'm sure i'm missing a few, but that's more or less what i usually see getting mentioned the most in regards to gameplay.
In any case i'm already having fun trying to learn how everything works, i'm just bug-reporting a few things so that they can get fixed for the benefit of everyone
Old 05-10-2011, 02:58 AM
Registered Member

Please can you Add REALISTIC SMOKE TRAILS for BULLETS PLEASE. ( Spit, Hurri,G50.

-=FA=-Klabo