Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 07-14-2013, 09:02 PM
Approved Member

Default Let's Talk Stormbird

I had a few requests for the Me 262A-2a a few days ago, and although having the issues addressed in a useable format may not happen for some time to come, having a discussion about the matter may yield some more insight into the issue when the time to fix it comes about.

This was my initial statement on the Me 262 in the 4.13 wishlist thread:

"I'd like to ask for some tweaks to the Me 262. First, the Me 262A-2a... I'd like to see the ability to mount the 21cm rockets as well as drop tanks. The 262 was also able to carry a wider array of bombs in reality than it does now in the current simulation. Furthermore, as far as I can tell, the only difference between the A-1a and the A-2a was the fact that a bomb rack was fitted, though that also might imply that some additional plumbing was in place when fuel tanks were used...

As such, I'd like to see "early" and "late" versions of the fighter bomber variant, thus giving the option of being equipped with all four guns in the "early" variant. Keep in mind that the guns were often removed in the A-2 model to save weight and probably also reduce the take-off roll - if you look at the position of the MK 108s and the bomb racks in relation to the fighter's center of gravity, it does indeed make a lot of sense to remove the upper guns. But the option of having them is quite appealing."

One thing I'm quite certain about now is that, apart from lacking weapons like the AB-series dispenser munitions, the Sturmvogel seems to be limited to a 500kg bombload instead of the 1000kg maximum load the aircraft was capable of fielding. In any sense, is this worth having a discussion over? If so, I'd love to have it!
Old 07-15-2013, 12:39 AM
Approved Member

How many ground attack missions did the 262 actually fly?

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 07-15-2013, 01:38 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post
How many ground attack missions did the 262 actually fly?
Just to remember you... this is 1946... that requests are reasonable beyond actual history.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:09 AM
Approved Member

I'm not trying to be a jerk, it's an honest question.

Oh, and if it is '46, how can there be historical load outs?

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 07-15-2013, 06:11 AM
Approved Member

I think the point of this is trying to get to a more accurate simulation of "what could have been, or possibly was." The A-2 certainly used AB custer munitions - these were often preferred given that dive-bombing at high speed was dangerous and level bombing was difficult. I wasn't asking to mount X-4s (which would have certainly been a store for the fighter had time gone on) or X-7s (which would be especially fun to strap onto a 190) - just more variety in the bombload, 500kg bombs, and perhaps the 21cm mortars.

And no, I'm not certain how many a/g missions the 262 flew, but it was used in that facility for sure. Having a bit more flexibility in what you could do with the aircraft would be very welcome.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:53 AM
Approved Member

Forget bomb load outs I want this modeled in the game

"My first kill on the Me 262 came about almost by accident, you could say. I had taken off in an attempt to intercept a high-flying reconnaissance Lightning. Cround-control vectored me on the target faultlessly. Not that he was difficult to spot, for he was drawing a nice broad condensation trail in his wake.

I approached out of the sun from behind and slightly above. When about 80m (262ft) distant I ducked into the condensation trail, casting a quick glance down to check my instruments and gun indicator lights. When I looked up again a split second later, the Lightning was filling my windscreen. I tried desperately to pull up above him, but it was too late. There was an almighty crash, and then he disappeared.

I waited for a few seconds, expecting a wing to fall off, or an engine to flame out. But nothing of the sort happened. Just a few nasty dents, but my crate continued to fly".

Hauptmann Georg-Peter Eder, 7. Jagdgeschwader.

Back to the OP's request.

I think the game should stick to manufacturers data.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:42 PM
Approved Member

To me the Me262 is definitly widely on the '44/45 side... not a 'What if' so to say. Not sure, what a perhaps realistic, but unhistorical loadout would make of it.

----------------------------------------------
For bugreports, help and support contact:
daidalos.team@googlemail.com

For modelers - The IL-2 standard modeling specifications:
IL-Modeling Bible
Old 07-15-2013, 01:16 PM
Approved Member

The 262 conducted hit and run raids against allied airfields and ground units from the autumn of 1944 until the end of hostilities.

Loadouts were usually 2x AB 250 or 2x SD 250. Single AB or SD 500 were also used frequently.

Source: Osprey Combat Aircraft No 83 Me262 Bomber and reconnaisance Units by R Forsyth and E J Creek.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Approved Member

Whilst on the ME262 topic, how about the night fighter version? If they were looking at the ME110 nightfighter, then would it be possible to extend it to the ME262? Also as the ME262 was a two seater, it could lead to the ME262 trainer aircraft.

Just a thought.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Approved Member

Messerschmitt told Hitler, it could carry "probably up to 1000kg", but that rather was to sell his plane than being realistic and indeed it ignited Hitlers fantasy of the 'Blitzbomber' and led to the mis-decision not to place it in the frontlines as a fighter for quite a long time.

----------------------------------------------
For bugreports, help and support contact:
daidalos.team@googlemail.com

For modelers - The IL-2 standard modeling specifications:
IL-Modeling Bible