Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: Crossworlds > Units, artifacts, spells and Pet Dragon

Units, artifacts, spells and Pet Dragon Discussion, questions and solutions about units, artifacts, spells and Pet Dragon.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:51 PM
Approved Member

Regarding magic light skill, i agree that going beyond lv 1 is a waste of runes.

Play KB TL if you want better resurrection spell, but they have very limited use in AP and CW.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:04 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdamascus View Post
Well, you appear to have different, albeit extremely inefficient requirements. So I suppose the Paladin idea is moot. However, just to point out a few things.
Man, you really must have a lot of free time to analyze this game like you do, do you work or are still in university? Sure, I believe you it is the most efficient way, you have explained it with charts and numbers, but I'd hate to play the game again and again and always use the same unit in every game, just because of the Prayer.

Again, you play Impossible games - I only play Hard. It's enough of a challenge, and since I only get to play maybe 3-4 hours a week it'd take me a lot of time to finish an Impossible game.

I'm a bit surprised at what you say about Resurrection and how it doesn't increase every 7th Intellect point. Granted, I played on Normal with my Warrior, but even she with her not too high Intellect had enough spell power to resurrect everything I have lost even in hard battles. Baal was tough to do no-loss - killing him is not that hard, ensuring some unit is left behind to keep resurrecting your units without Gilbert killing it is harder - but in the end I killed him by going only with one stack of Gorguls and spamming Phantom and Time Back. Gorguls can attack Bhaal without fear of retaliation, often more then once per round, "through" the demons he summons.

My question regarding your message is - since my current army build does contain lots of Human units - what is this Inquisitor Sword and where can you always find it? I checked the save game in Excel and did not see it...

Last edited by BB Shockwave; 11-22-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:14 PM
Approved Member

From thomas torve, defeat him and you get the sword. In CW, he always appears in elon, however in AP, it is random.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB Shockwave View Post
Man, you really must have a lot of free time to analyze this game like you do, do you work or are still in university? Sure, I believe you it is the most efficient way, you have explained it with charts and numbers, but I'd hate to play the game again and again and always use the same unit in every game, just because of the Prayer.
While I am not quite as skilled as impy, perhaps we are both infected by the uncanny desire to think about the game a little TOO much.

I work. I'm a pretty analytical guy and oddly enough, I find that doing this analysis SAVES me time in the long run. Perhaps it is my way of getting back at the game for when I played Impossible and ended up running out of gold, or I would be nearly at the end of the game on Impossible, and had no way to beat the bosses, losses or not.

That's right. I try whatever I can to steam roll this game to get back at it! Take that, King's Bounty! ...

Nothing makes me more sad then wasting hours upon hours in a battle where it is highly inefficient. e.g. 60 rounds to beat driller with single stack trolls. what the?!? Where one bad move can lead to a restart of a 60 round battle. That's not my idea of fun.

I find that is more time consuming and a waste of my time. That is what drove me more and more into learning the game mechanics and seeing the optimal paths of victory.

That said, the analysis isn't really as time consuming as one might think, especially with the excellent user derived manual and spreadsheet development skills. Once you get the game mechanics down, it is pretty easy to see where the optimal points are.

Regarding using similar units over and over again, well, that's the basis of my other thread. "Units you love/hate". Seems like the fastest "boss busting" armies are "no retaliation" ones deriving from high leadership.

Or, the ever so insane Black Knights.

Besides Paladins, I do end up using quite a few different units. Although, I think I am near the end of my run and thank goodness. I've spent too much time on this game.

Quote:
Again, you play Impossible games - I only play Hard. It's enough of a challenge, and since I only get to play maybe 3-4 hours a week it'd take me a lot of time to finish an Impossible game.
I think the key to a solid impossible run is to know some basic templates of power teams. Again, while some units seem like you can't get rid of, there is some wiggle room. Knowing the basic ways to beat the enemy can make it so the battles don't take nearly that long, even on no-loss and impossible. Early game is pretty hard on Impossible, but the other guys here might have mastered it better than me.

But later on, if you have a good killer army in mind, you should be able to do it fairly easily.

In short, an Impossible game shouldn't take longer than a Hard game if you got the right unit mixture. But, it might be more difficult for you to come up with proper combinations in an Impossible game than a Hard game since your margin of error is far far smaller. Plus, some battles might be particularly grueling if you can't get the items or units you need for a smoother victory.

Admittedly, a lower difficulty level would allow for a larger range of units to be played successfully. There is a certain charm to beating up some super Demon with a pack of Peasants. Ok, I haven't done that... but would be funny.

Quote:
I'm a bit surprised at what you say about Resurrection and how it doesn't increase every 7th Intellect point. Granted, I played on Normal with my Warrior, but even she with her not too high Intellect had enough spell power to resurrect everything I have lost even in hard battles. Baal was tough to do no-loss - killing him is not that hard, ensuring some unit is left behind to keep resurrecting your units without Gilbert killing it is harder - but in the end I killed him by going only with one stack of Gorguls and spamming Phantom and Time Back. Gorguls can attack Bhaal without fear of retaliation, often more then once per round, "through" the demons he summons.
Well, the reason why it probably works fine in Normal is because the boss statistics are much much weaker in Normal. Their attack rating is less, so it is easier to receive less damage from them. Their defense rating is lower, so you can deal more damage to them. Furthermore, their HP is lower, so you can blitz them out before they can do real damage. Incidentally, that's the basis of my aggressive boss busting builds. Kill them FAST.

Ah yes, the "attack through the weak unit" no retaliation tactic is great. Of course this tactic is the meat and drink of dragons... gosh I love those units. Thankfully the rune mage lets me use Dragons in more situations than before. That's why I felt they were such a pivotal unit to changing the usable army compositions in Crossworlds.

Quote:
My question regarding your message is - since my current army build does contain lots of Human units - what is this Inquisitor Sword and where can you always find it? I checked the save game in Excel and did not see it...
Atlatea has already answered it. Be careful not to give / sell the sword back.

Of note, the only other item that can reduce leadership further is the Knight's Set. But it seems so rare, not all the items are that great,... and the end goal seems a little mediocre.

I think it was somethign like 22K damage, but with slow melee, one retaliation...

If used with a warrior you could get more retaliations, but, the paladin class will result in more damage, even with the 6750 leadership gap.

But the Knight's Set does decrease requirements for Horsemen and Knights.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metathron View Post
Planning to have some fun with black knights on impossible.

Moro gives +3 Attack and +1 morale to the undead
The undead set gives +1 speed and initiative to the undead.

The thing is, there are two artifacts in the set and Moro has no such slots wheras Paladin Amelie only has one.

So which would you choose - a new companion and the full set or stick with Moro?
If you really want some fun and you don't care for a little file modification,then simply replace Moro Dark's "regalia,belt slot" with an "artefact,regalia slot" in - companion.txt file.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:22 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlatea View Post
From thomas torve, defeat him and you get the sword. In CW, he always appears in elon, however in AP, it is random.
Ah, thanks! He's the fallen paladin, right? I remember defeating him in Tekron mines in AP, but do not remember the sword... most likely sold it as I was playing dwarves back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdamascus View Post
Of note, the only other item that can reduce leadership further is the Knight's Set. But it seems so rare, not all the items are that great,... and the end goal seems a little mediocre.
Too bad it doesn't work for Paladins. I dunno, the charm of the Paladin are his Talents - he can actually do something to affect your other units while marching (at a snail's pace) towards the enemy. The Knight... it takes a lot of time or a teleport to put him into the fray.

I'm really enjoying Horsemen, I found the Horsemen Shield, which gives +5 defense to Horsemen, and +3 Defense overall - so yeah, I checked, it gives +8 defense to Horsemen. Neat... Adrenaline can also really help out in increasing damage. Using Horsemen to inflict the most damage is somewhat complicated, at least moreso then in the older Heroes games.

Last edited by BB Shockwave; 12-10-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:50 PM
Approved Member

Orc veteran is slightly better than horsemen in CW. They do more dmg / leadership + no counter. Perfect setup, because while paladin + target tank the whole enemies while that insane orc veteran slaughter them to oblivion.

Horsemen number will dwindle with each counter from enemies, making them somewhat useless in KB CW, though i often use this unit in KB TL.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:36 AM
Approved Member

But Orcs and Humans don't really like each other sadly, and most of my current army is Humans (plus Royal Griffins and Assassins... I wish Assassins were handled like Robbers and would be counted as humans).

I know many units are better in combat then Horseman, their main advantage is their speed, however - only Cerberi come close to that. Besides, I am not trying to put together the best units in my walkthrough - I usually start a game by deciding a "theme", in the current case, an all-human army, and go with that, it's more of a challenge.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:57 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Ah, thanks! He's the fallen paladin, right? I remember defeating him in Tekron mines in AP, but do not remember the sword... most likely sold it as I was playing dwarves back then.

Originally Posted by ckdamascus

Too bad it doesn't work for Paladins. I dunno, the charm of the Paladin are his Talents - he can actually do something to affect your other units while marching (at a snail's pace) towards the enemy. The Knight... it takes a lot of time or a teleport to put him into the fray.

I'm really enjoying Horsemen, I found the Horsemen Shield, which gives +5 defense to Horsemen, and +3 Defense overall - so yeah, I checked, it gives +8 defense to Horsemen. Neat... Adrenaline can also really help out in increasing damage. Using Horsemen to inflict the most damage is somewhat complicated, at least moreso then in the older Heroes games.
The Knight's Set does decrease requirements for Paladins. As it is the only other item that can reduce the leadership requirements for Paladins as far as I know.

Did you mean the Paladin Class can't use it or can't easily wear it? I think they can do it, as the set should only take up all the "frontal" slots of any of the classes.

In my post I was implying that even with the -40% reduction in leadership (inquisitor sword is -20% AND knight's set is -20%) the end goal is too "bleh" for me.

Dealing up to 30K damage? (didn't do the math again for it, but I remember it was not that awesome), only level 4 (not super high attack stat), but slow moving wasn't impressive enough to be worth the effort.

I was just throwing in that it helps reduce the leadership of both horsemen, and knights... (it also does swordsmen, and guardsmen, but I omitted them), as a saving grace to sort of make it worth the effort of finding a random game with those items.

At least with fairies, they can do a lot more, soaring, move fast, fast initiative with the girl power set... even with the lower attack stats, the base damage was much higher (Maybe 60K?), and you can get attack raising items to help increase your damage to get closer to the maximum damage.

Quote:
But Orcs and Humans don't really like each other sadly, and most of my current army is Humans (plus Royal Griffins and Assassins... I wish Assassins were handled like Robbers and would be counted as humans).

I know many units are better in combat then Horseman, their main advantage is their speed, however - only Cerberi come close to that. Besides, I am not trying to put together the best units in my walkthrough - I usually start a game by deciding a "theme", in the current case, an all-human army, and go with that, it's more of a challenge.
So? That's one major advantage of the Paladin Class. The morale skill is designed to make it easier for the Paladin Class to mix and match so they can take the best of each other's races.

I wish Assassins could get buffed. I've rarely seen that "Servant of Death" ability as a mixed blessing.... only as a curse.

Ooooh the irony. Orc Veterans, with Moldok the Orc, and some basic skills so they can use Potion of Rage / Speed (the first Adrenaline skill) in the first round... are faster than Horsemen. Once you hit Adrenaline Level 3, always fun to hit horsemen, and NOT get retaliated on.

In fact, combined with Tactics Level 2, Orc Veterans could reach the other end of the field in round 1 nearly every time. Although, to preserve my precious pig warriors, I would just stop short of maxing out the distance, and use a Phantom to hit. So evil.

Last edited by ckdamascus; 12-11-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:31 PM
Approved Member

Oh, thanks. So it decreases leadership for pretty much all Human troops then.

I just got the Dress of the Magess btw, and the +30% critical chance for Archmages is really neat. (Oddly, it seems to be more then 30% for me - without the dress, they have 14%, with the dress, they have 53%...) Too bad it doesn't work for Rune Mages as well.

The lighting -fast orc strategy must be neat... Getting to the enemy early is pretty important. I remember, in my Warrior walkthrough of AP, I used Tactics II with my Gorguls to similar effect, calculating the distances so that I could attack and kill an enemy, and then move on to the next. Sometimes, I killed a whole enemy army during 1 round with just my stack of Gorguls, the Bloodlust worked so often!
That must