Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Approved Member

Default Advice for rookies

As unlikely as it is that a new player will check the forums before playing online. Here it is my 10 tips for survival
The skill difference between an experinced player and rookie player is large in most cases which mean it can be a rather harsh learning curve.
My advice to any new player.
1. In arcade mode when in a turning battle use your YAW!
2. Shooting is the hardest thing to learn for all players, be patient. (ask me in a game, i'll tell you how i do it)
3. Try to keep clear of dogfight and team battle modes untill you are confident with your own abilities (dogfight and team battle is where the aces live).
4. Add as many friends from the game as you can it's how you meet wingmen who suit your style of play.
5. Start oh playing in spitfire II IX, hurricane II or even a.....(can't believe i'm saying this) i16 type 24, the 109 g6 is a stable well armed plane also. There is no definative best plane, as their performance varies from arcade to sim.
However the affore mentioned are some of the easier planes to get to grip with,
6. You will get shot down, accept it.
7. There will be players who for whatever reason (human reasons) choose to single you out, remember it's just a game.
8. Friendly fire is active in all team modes, so watch who is between you and your target.
9. Use your planes advantages: Theres no point engaging in a turning battle with a more agile aicraft than yours, generally your aircraft will be faster use that to your advantage .
10. Be patient whilist on a target, wait for him/her to make a mistake. Blazing your guns just tells them your there

Any more players with anything so add? lets make it a joint effort here

Last edited by Shadowcorp; 12-17-2009 at 01:59 AM. Reason: meta tag
Old 12-16-2009, 02:10 PM
Approved Member

uuhhmm... what is *YAW* ?
Old 12-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Approved Member

Default Yaw

rudder, flat turn
Old 12-16-2009, 02:14 PM
Approved Member

kk, thx.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Approved Member

another tip is; don't get angry. It will not improve your skill, only make you worse.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Approved Member

I posted this in another thread but its a simple one thats saved me a few times.
When in a turning fight and your oponent is approaching you from 3 or 9 o'clock, roll side on to him to reduce your target profile. Doing this removes your wings as a target
Old 12-17-2009, 05:23 PM
Approved Member

A good tip is to know what your flying.... know how it flies, and what its good at. Once you have your target in sight then (this is based on sim mode) -

a) distinguish if its friend or foe, if its a friend he'll have a blue band on the wing or fuselage

b) once you have figured out if he's friend or foe, figure out what his aircraft is

c) use his weakness to your advantage, if your in a spit/huricane and he's in a 109 then try not to let him BnZ with you, if he tries to get into a turning fight - you win!

d) the most important thing i can think of while playing a team match - COMMUNICATION, its the difference between life and death. A team who communicates is 9/10 the team who will win. Watch out for each other and always try to stay close to a friendly and dont get yourself isolated
Old 12-17-2009, 11:46 PM
Approved Member

Hey, #5 you forgot to add Yak-3 and La-5FN/La-7!! They're stable and good gun platforms from what I've noticed.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:13 AM
Approved Member

Default bombers

when using gunners aim for the aircraft in question ignore lead reticule
Old 12-19-2009, 05:07 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcorp View Post
when using gunners aim for the aircraft in question ignore lead reticule
Wait, are we talking Arcade here? Because as you know, Realistic and Sim don't have a lead reticule on screen. You have to do it yourself. Arcade is the only one with the leading reticule (which from what I've heard, is a bit off?)