Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Other > Other Topics

Other Topics Feel free to discuss other topics here.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:12 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiC View Post
Thanks guys.

After watching more vids I'm going to take the wait and see approach. I will check reviews, try the demo and rent it for a few days before I commit.

StiC
What demo? There isn't one and won't be one.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:51 PM
Approved Member

This looks quite tasty , ofc not a patch on BoP but looks great .......... think i my hire it first ........ then see
Old 08-14-2011, 06:12 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggins View Post
What demo? There isn't one and won't be one.
Well I guess I won't get to try the demo then. Still doesn't change anything.

StiC
Old 08-14-2011, 06:37 PM
Approved Member

Also I heard rumurs that everybody who plays it gets motion sick after 10 minutes ???

XBL GT: - Robotic Pope
HyperLobby CS: - Robot_Pope
Old 08-16-2011, 07:45 PM
Approved Member

Default Great Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiC View Post
It does look good, really good. I just hope it "feels" better than Hawx.

I've never played an Ace Combat title, can anyone comment on previous installments in the series?

StiC
Before BOP...I considered the Ace Combat series to the be best flight game out there...that was before I got wind of BOP of course. After having played Secret Weapons Over Normandy and Heroes of the Pacific...I enjoyed playing SWON admittedly, for many reasons, but both had one thing lacking...that was fight physics.

When you say "feels" do you mean flight physics??? As a "Modern" flight game, one thing that AC had over Hawx was that AC had a semblance of flight physics. I tried out Hawx and traded in this game for that one reason. And yes, AC may be a bit arcady...but story-line is immersive.

Story-line wise...AC4 and AC5 are the best IMO. It comes to this one mission in AC 5 where one of your wingmen by the name of Chopper is shot down and killed... and was presented in a way where I really felt it...admittedly, I actually shed a tear or two...I saw this being discussed in another forum as well...so I wasn't the only softie...ha ha...my point is, the story-line was right on...

So, I do look forward to playing the new AC game...I hope you will too

BTW...see my avatar...it's from AC

Last edited by alsevillajr; 08-16-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:25 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsevillajr View Post

When you say "feels" do you mean flight physics??? As a "Modern" flight game, one thing that AC had over Hawx was that AC had a semblance of flight physics.
That's exactly what I meant. The game had no sense of inertia, drag, thrust, etc. It felt like a first person shooter rather than an air combat game. I do enjoy a dumbed down flight game from time to time such as SWON and Crimson Skies, but these games were fun and I could overlook the lack of tangible flight mechanics, but I couldn't enjoy HAWX.

Thanks everyone

StiC
Old 08-17-2011, 04:01 AM
Approved Member

Before I discovered BOP...when playing AC...I took pleasure in shooting down enemy planes with guns only.. only after stalking them in a brief dogfight.

The developers of AC were keen enough to incorporate adequate flight physics in the game to allow for some cool dogfighting and planes were appropriately disadvantaged or advantaged depending on their classification...one thing that was way off that was definitely not to spec was on the A-10...if you accelerated long enough you will eventually reach or pass Mach and if I'm not mistaken...the only aircraft where you you could see the compass move on the instrument panel
Old 08-17-2011, 11:20 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
....and planes were appropriately disadvantaged or advantaged depending on their classification...
But then they went and broke the multiplayer game with the DLC Idolmaster planes. AC6 = Best example of how not to do DLC.
Quote:
one thing that was way off that was definitely not to spec was on the A-10...if you accelerated long enough you will eventually reach or pass Mach and if I'm not mistaken...
All the planes are speeded up massively in Ace combat games and given the acceleration of rockets. lol the whole AC6 game was definitely not to spec

This didn't stop AC6 being my second (Forza 2 being 1st) most played game in 2008 and 2009 until BoP was released, since then I have hardly touched it (or forza 3) because of BoP.

XBL GT: - Robotic Pope
HyperLobby CS: - Robot_Pope

Last edited by Robotic Pope; 08-17-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Approved Member

Hi Rob...I know...I know...I may have overstated the use of the word "spec"...I should have said in relation to the other planes in the game...pointing to the fact that the A-10 is a sub-sonic aircraft...alright partner

BTW...you're an xboxer aren't you???

I never got to play AC6

Last edited by alsevillajr; 08-17-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:40 PM
Approved Member

I'm gonna get a lot of hate for this but...

I had the last Ace Combat and played about an hour and a 1/2 into the game, played it a few times online and I gotta say its pretty arcady (is that a word?).

It sorta throws all realism out the window. I mean, when you got a jet that can carry 100+ missiles, etc. it sorta turned me off.

Didn't care for the flight characteristics either. Was sorta like playing BOP on arcade but even more unrealistic.

The graphics are pretty good though, gotta give it that, but I couldn't take it anymore and actually traded the game in.

I really, really tried to get into it, but it just didn't happen.

I know a lot of people like the game, but to be honest, i'd rather play Over-G than Ace Combat.