Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > FM/DM threads

FM/DM threads Everything about FM/DM in CoD

Old 09-08-2012, 10:37 PM
Approved Member

Default Visible airscrew disc

Today I was flying as passenger with a friend in an ultralight aircraft and I had to make following observations:

1) The airscrew disk is, when running, invisible, and my guess is that the rpms are lower than what we have in Clod

2) The reflexion from the sun (heading East during evening hours ~6 p.m.) was very limited and basivally only a thin light bent line. The reflexion in the game is completely exagerated. The airscrew disk is still not visible or barely visible at best apart from the very thin reflexion line. Knowing that the blades were painted with a non reflective colour on our warbirds I guess the reflexions should be even less.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:26 AM
zipper

Interesting. My experience is that ultralight props spin about 1000/1500 rpm faster than a warbird's. Ultralight motors and gear reductions are all over the map but seem to generally have a max of somewhere between 1600 and 2600 rpm with the typical installation being toward the higher end. The typical early Merlin would have a prop speed of about 1400 rpm max, later Merlins under 1300 rpm. Low prop rpm his important for a high speed aircraft because of the necessity for delaying supersonic prop tip speeds.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:45 AM
Approved Member

Some things in these games are just over exaggerated. The prop effects in CLoD are one of them. Its seems that effects like these are created by folks who have never spent any time around real life aircraft. There is a reason spinners and props are painted on some aircraft - to give a visual cue when spinning. Walking into a spinning prop is a real danger and has killed and maimed more then a few. For example:

Texas Model Has 'Long Road to Recovery' After Walking Into Plane Propeller

Another thing that bugs me about these games is the some of the sound effects - like hearing another plane near or behind you. But whatever it is a game...

Wotan
Old 09-09-2012, 06:33 AM
Approved Member

sad story to read...

Regarding the spinning effect, CoD seems to have been modified according to the usual chorus of experts here claiming that other games (WoP/RoF ?) had a "better effect".

Just like the moving head inside the cockpit and plenty others.

What about GA planes and casual flight? Well it depends of the light of the day but You clearly see the prop disc in front of you.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:49 AM
Approved Member

I like the spinning prop effect. That, and following tracer to its source are about the only reliable ways of locating aircraft that are climbing up on your low 6 o'clock position.

Sometimes you have to wonder whether the Dev. team actually tried the game before they released it on an unsuspecting public.......
Old 09-09-2012, 07:05 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipper View Post
Interesting. My experience is that ultralight props spin about 1000/1500 rpm faster than a warbird's. Ultralight motors and gear reductions are all over the map but seem to generally have a max of somewhere between 1600 and 2600 rpm with the typical installation being toward the higher end. The typical early Merlin would have a prop speed of about 1400 rpm max, later Merlins under 1300 rpm. Low prop rpm his important for a high speed aircraft because of the necessity for delaying supersonic prop tip speeds.
Interesting. My Clod Spit flies best at rpm 2800 (at least pre patch - now it'll overheat in an instant).
Old 09-09-2012, 07:18 AM
Approved Member

Eng rpm is different from prop speed. The eng has to turn at a higher speed to help for the torque needed

Last edited by TomcatViP; 09-09-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:21 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4./JG53_Wotan View Post
Some things in these games are just over exaggerated. The prop effects in CLoD are one of them. Its seems that effects like these are created by folks who have never spent any time around real life aircraft. There is a reason spinners and props are painted on some aircraft - to give a visual cue when spinning. Walking into a spinning prop is a real danger and has killed and maimed more then a few.

Wotan

Sure is ugly

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 09-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Approved Member

3000rpm @ 0.477 = 1431rpm
3000rpm @ 0.42 = 1260rpm

Merlin X, XX, and 61 used 0.42 reduction ratio. All other double digit Merlins used 0.477 reduction ratio.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:54 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
like hearing another plane near or behind you.
Exactly....

Even with today's advanced ANR headsets, you can't hear another airplane.

Quote:
What about GA planes and casual flight? Well it depends of the light of the day but You clearly see the prop disc in front of you.

Usually you have to concentrate and you can barely see it. Certainly nothing like the overmodeled effects in these games.