Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:35 AM
Registered Member

I'm glad I didn't realize that this mission was so hard on arcade when I first started playing. I guess I got it on the 9th or 10th try. I have to admit it took me longer on Sim until I figured out how to spot the Ju-52's. I also plead guilty to firing rockets into the transports to expedite matters.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:15 AM
Registered Member

Cool hornets nest???

Yes , this is the hardest one yet and will just have to keep trying till I get them all own. Thanks everyone for all the info on here.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog XII View Post
First Time Poster here! Just got the game today and got snagged on Hornets nest. The IL-2 is not the best at knocking down hoards of JU-52's. The best I have done is 4 left before they reach their destination. Any tips or assistance would be greatly appreciated from u guys. Let me know if I am missing something. I have been reading these posts for a while now and it seems there is quite a few knowledable people here so I thought this would be a great place to ask for some help. Thanks again for any help u can give me!
I'll got the same problem, but I'd shot 13 plains and no succes.

amsterdam2226
Old 12-06-2009, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

Hard work? I'd tried it many times and shot between 11 and 14 plains. No succes

amsterdam2226
Old 12-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Approved Member

Play this mission on realistic. It's a lot easier then, ironically.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:46 PM
Approved Member

I'm sure you BoP vets are sick of seeing this thread pop up just when you'd hoped it was dead and buried. Before I go any further, I want to say howdy to everyone. OK, I'm bound and determined to complete this mission on Sim, even if it kills me. It's encouraging to read some folks here have done just that, even if they say they haven't a clue why they were successful. I've tried some of the tips I've read here but I still fail. My next plan is to crank up the brightness on the monitor as was suggested by one poster. I will post my findings for those who are interested.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:08 PM
Approved Member

Just completed the mission from hell. I made it more hell than it should have been though. I checked the brightness in the game settings and found it was cranked all the way down. Adjusted that and could finally see the bombers. On my successful mission, I managed to down a few bombers myself all the while constantly ordering my team to attack. I assumed we downed them all because I was then ordered to attack the AA at the airfield. I destroyed just one with a bomb and the Mission Complete message came up on the screen. Like others here I was very relieved. I now plan on completing the campaign before signing up for XboxLive Gold and playing online. I am signed up with Silver. My gamertag is gorpley.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:03 PM
Approved Member

Passing this one on arcade.

Somethings really helped:

Rockets! Rockets! Around .50 to 1 km, rockets that hit can take down whole flights. I've tagged 2-3 while shooting them in conjunction with cannons / mg's.

Planning out the flights so that finishing passes end up close to firing position on another group or finishing a group puts you close to incoming groups, I lost on set because I was chasing too far, and using the map function generously.

That said,
Get that lone group before they get close. Sometimes I get goldfish memory in the heat of battle and forget I left a set unattended.

While using attention all flight and carry out objectives, also use attack as a group to get the transports that are getting close. All 3 can take down a target fast.

Regrouping alot. Sometimes your wing gets dragged all over the place.

Rear attacks while slowing throttle and the IL-2's heavy firepower gives you time to aim (and use rockets) are best. I preferred to do a head on pass and give them everything I had, chandelle around cut throttle and take them down.

Careful shooting when Yaks are around, especially if sending rockets out. On my game the Yaks (blue) really help alot, and I found out undiscriminating shooting sometimes tagged a Yak.

Search the skies around the yellow dots while closing in. I found out some transports aren't yellow tagged.

The transports stay as a flight, even if attacked. The exception is when they get close to the runway, they will separate (one will begin to land) but if you're at this point and the Yaks haven't shot them down, mission fail is around the corner.

Watch out, once the last transport goes down, you get victory and get your new objectives (bomb ground targets). 109s arrive and they are pissed! They will go for you even with 3 Yaks on their tail. Don't have your wing cover you, they'll get shot down.

Dealing with stealth transports:

What makes it really hard on arcade, is that some of the transports don't show up with the yellow tags (or red tags).

And these were fresh ones, I ain't talking about the ones the game considers shot down (pilot kill) and flying around before the crash and removes your targeting, I'm talking about legit flying I'm gonna end your mission suka targets.

That said, you can target them even though they don't show up on radar / map. They'll have the standard red arrow (and show up on radar) once you do.

If you run into a whole flight (rare but happens) target one so it red dots. Then look for the others and shoot them down. The transport don't separate, so targeting one will help keep track of the flight's position. Shoot down the target one last.

I saw some back lit on the search lights. Others you can see you're below them around 2, 4, 8, 10 o clock positions.

Others I found the Yaks (blue dots) were shooting and circling around some random space of the sky, and closer inspection found it was a transport. In some cases I've noticed the Yaks will go after them if they get close.

Your guys will not attack them if they are given objective command. If you target and group all or attack target, your flight will do so.

They fly the same pattern as the yellow groups. Sometimes they are found in stacked between the larger yellow groups.

On realistic they have the stealth ones, but since you fulfill the objective quickly by knocking down the yellows they aren't a factor.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:09 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiro View Post
Passing this one on arcade.

Dealing with stealth transports:

What makes it really hard on arcade, is that some of the transports don't show up with the yellow tags (or red tags). ......

On realistic they have the stealth ones, but since you fulfill the objective quickly by knocking down the yellows they aren't a factor.
what seems to be happening AFAIS is you slightly damage the transport and the bounding box dissapears BUT its not nowheres near dead. it still continues to fly AND reach the target. it was basically the same in arcade and real...both were PITAs. it wont show on your hud but you will see it if you chase it down. once i realized this was happening i went ofter them and completed....if you leave them...MISSION FAILED. never tried the rockets tho...
Old 01-07-2011, 09:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie151175 View Post
Hi Guys

I did what you said, switched to realstic used my wingmen. And the result is ....Im no longer on Hornets Nest.

Add me to this list as well. After trying what seemed like a gazillion times on Arcade, I switched to Realistic as suggested, and completed the Mission on the second try!

AWESOME!!!