Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > CoD Multiplayer

CoD Multiplayer Everything about multiplayer in IL-2 CoD

Old 02-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Tvrdi

Default Server vs server "performance"...

I noticed that on servers with lower ping (50-80) I have pretty smooth play....on ATAG (which is my favourite for obvious reasons) with ping around 130-160 I have less smooth game....

Is it the big map or big ping? Server with lower ping is using map with islands and mountains while ATAG is using big channel map (with parts of England and France)....
Old 02-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Approved Member

Ping is due to server location and your global position.

ATAG server is in Chigago USA, 150ms
Spitsvs109's server are in USA, 113ms
Repka servers are in Russia, Down but I think for me they are around 100 or 80?
5./JG27 Server is Arizona USA, 173ms

So basically its down to geography. Ping is how fast you can send a signal to the server and get a reply. So basically its the distance and infastructure inbertween, including your modem, connection and the servers. Also the type of cable, copper, fibre optic and so on. Fibre optic is amazing, its as fast as the speed of light. Electricty is fast but no where near as fast as light. You will often see the unit m/s or ms next to ping. I believe this is milliseconds. 1/1000th of a second. So I am in England and between me and those servers above you can see that perhaps Spits is East coast and to span the entire USA its about an extra 60ms...

From my experience, it doesnt seem to matter under 200. 10 years ago with copper cable connections and 56k modems, having a ping under 100 was crucial for first person shooters. Now however technology is better and also too the infustructure however the "net code" is heavier but still under 200 you wont notice. I think what your actually experiencing in the server is the unreal maps are smoother because there is virtually nothing on them in comparison to the channel map. Your not downloading the map, just the stuff on it like tanks and ships, spawns AAA etc. So really the extra smoothness is your system performing better with less workload because the map is allot smaller and has less house, trees etc to render and remember.

Last edited by 5./JG27.Farber; 02-11-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Tvrdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5./JG27.Farber View Post
Ping is due to server location and your global position.
Your not downloading the map, just the stuff on it like tanks and ships, spawns AAA etc. So really the extra smoothness is your system performing better with less workload because the map is allot smaller and has less house, trees etc to render and remember.
Exactly what I was thinking but needed a confirmation...thanks alot mate
Old 02-13-2012, 02:21 PM
Approved Member

You may also want to experiment with net-speed game settings. Try and compare LAN, xDSL and ISDN options.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:25 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataros View Post
You may also want to experiment with net-speed game settings. Try and compare LAN, xDSL and ISDN options.
Does that control packet size sent like it did in the old game? If so is it not best run at the lowest then any packet losses will be minimal~?
Old 02-13-2012, 11:01 PM
Approved Member

Ah ATAG is in Chicago...that explains why I get 14 ping sometimes

Which ATAG dude lives in Chicago area?