Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 03-29-2015, 05:02 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post
Because the US and the Fleet Air Arm operated the TBF/TBM, and the US has no viable torpedo bomber that is player flyable. These aircraft were widely deployed in the Pacific, and the Atlantic, and really are necessary for any kind of campaign that involves carrier operations.

Having the TBF/TBM and the Curtiss Helldiver BTW, would flesh out the compliment for the USN.

And true, we need more Japanese attack aircraft as flyable as well.
As sad as it is not to have Avengers, I think a Helldiver would make a fairly suitable replacement as it has similar capabilities - looks aside. And late war Japanese strike/torpedo aircraft would be a welcome addition, too - as the early war D3A/B5N really are totally obsolete by at least 1944.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:20 PM
Approved Member

All "fair" battles were fought on 1942. After Midway, Japaneese were just overwhelmed. The amount of carriers the US deployed on the Pacific after that, almost required to put traffic lights on mid ocean!
Old 03-29-2015, 05:33 PM
Approved Member

At this point having the SB2C and the B6N or D3Y flyable would probably round out the carrier aircraft fairly well. The TBF/TBM is super important and the key aircraft in the carrier strike wing but it will have to be what it is.

Honestly as time passes IL-2 1946 is slowly fading out. In a few years I hope that the new IL-2 series will catch up to the Pacific and start to have the kinds of features the we enjoy in IL-2 1946... and we can leave this legal stuff in the past. But we'll see. There's a lot of ground to cover between now and then so I suppose the Pacific portion in particular will be key for some time to come.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:40 PM
Approved Member

Sadly I think in a few years the new sim will be history.

I don't think they understand the market, or the needs of the player base.

On an up note, my new computer build has finally allowed me to play the Finnish Hawk Campaign in this sim.

Just got back into it, but enjoying it, even though I'm stuck in Fokkers and Hurries for the moment. As you know I'm not much of an off line guy, but a well crafted off line experience is well worth the time spent.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 03-29-2015, 07:53 PM
Approved Member

I believe in game US Navy is well represented. Avengers are present, even if AI only, and just a single plane is missing: the Helldiver. With the SB2C, all relevant types would be available, and any carrier deck would be faithfully reproduced for any Pacific battle, from Pearl Harbour to VJ Day. I know, there should be Vindicators up to Midway, but their role was marginal, and I think we can live without them.

About Japanese attack plane, any late war type would be useful mostly as AI. Realistic missions against USN carriers would be almost, or totally suicidal, not particularly attractive for a campaign or career.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:06 PM
Approved Member

for me the il2 needs only a few maps and enough planes and vehicles to be the most complete ww2 sim ever better than war thunder and new il2series even if the graphics are by far the best in new ones
Old 03-29-2015, 08:06 PM
Approved Member

Quote:

El is right, I fear.

Even if not, there is a huge difference in development cost for each new plane type between the “New Game” and “Good Old Il2”. Ten to one? Twenty to one? Perhaps more, and I can’t even guess the ratio if we talk about carriers.

In short, I think the chances to have in the New Game a plane set comparable to Good Old Il2 are really slim.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:56 PM
Approved Member

Shame there's no P-61 either
Old 03-30-2015, 12:05 AM
Approved Member

Quote:

I don't think they understand the market, or the needs of the player base.

On an up note, my new computer build has finally allowed me to play the Finnish Hawk Campaign in this sim.

Just got back into it, but enjoying it, even though I'm stuck in Fokkers and Hurries for the moment. As you know I'm not much of an off line guy, but a well crafted off line experience is well worth the time spent.

Now that the dust has settled and development continues... I'm pretty optimistic about the new generation. It's not going to be the same as the old one with prettier graphics... its definitely different and not everyone is going to like that but I guess we'll see what happens. I'm pretty excited for round two (Battle of Moscow).

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Hawk campaign. Yeah I didn't make the player stick it out too long in the Fokker but its a really great way to break into the experience and you get such a rush when you finally get into the Hawk and flying something fairly competitive. I have to say its not as exciting as some of my other campaigns but on the other side of the coin it follows pretty darn closely to those early days of the Continuation War (Thanks to awesome public records for the Finnish Air Force) and the types of missions and opponents they faced.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:20 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furio View Post
I believe in game US Navy is well represented. Avengers are present, even if AI only, and just a single plane is missing: the Helldiver.
Thats what I think too.
You cant have every important plane in IL-2 as flyable. Besides, just check how awfully the Luftwaffe bomber force is represented! Missing entirely: Do-17, Do-217E series, late Ju-88, late He-111, Ju-188. AI only: Do-217K/M, Fw-200. Compare this to USN... Aveger is already ingame, as AI. The only plane that is REALLY missing, the Helldiver.