Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:40 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosshair14 View Post
I would join But I usually play realistic and unlimited fuel and sometimes limited fuel.
Well change over to sim and fly the good old Mustang under Club settings and Bob's your Uncle.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:19 AM
Approved Member

Found this one, just wanted to share:

Old 05-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAV View Post

Thanks for sharing, this is a gem! All performing pilots are true P51 Mustang Purist Club material and should apply today!

Old 05-26-2010, 11:39 AM
Approved Member

he best line ever: " we will figure it out, just go....."
Old 05-26-2010, 11:44 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
he best line ever: " we will figure it out, just go....."
Hilarious!

Old 05-26-2010, 01:59 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
That was brilliant!
Old 05-27-2010, 02:44 PM
Approved Member

Default Why it's so easy to lose control...

Friends, I made a discovery which I want to share with you.

The sudden and violent onset of stalls we experience on our Mustangs in full sensitivity does not so much, as thought, come from the inherent characteristics of the P51 with it's laminar airfoil wing, but from a calibration error of the game in combination with the PS3 controller (pad) in the standard or aviator modes.

Let me explain. I found out about this in a training session with my head down in the cockpit with the pad in aviator mode. With the elevator in full sensitivity, pulling back on the elevator moves the flight stick (in the cockpit) very finely to a point near the lower end of the visible cockpit. The flight stick in this position is still fully visible. However, if you keep pulling back there is a sudden jump of the flight stick which moves it out of visibility in an instant, followed by a stall.

What that means is that a fine movement of the pad at this point does not longer correspond to what the flight stick in the cockpit does. It is as if a pilot would, already close to a the performing limit of his airplane, suddenly decide to violently pull back on his controls. The result could only be a stall.

What is interesting is that, with elevator sensitivity reduced to +10 from bottom/-8 from top, there is no more jump of the flight stick out of visual range, the flight stick remains always visible but travels considerably further than it does with full sensitivity before 'the jump'. At this flight stick position the wings produce maximum lift, and since under this sensitivity setting it is impossible to move the flight stick further back, stall is impossible (at least at normal speeds).

It's a pity that due to this calibration error in the game it's not possible to fly the aircraft in its full performance envelope with full elevator sensitivity (i.e. the same flight stick position that is achievable with reduced sensitivity), and still be able to stall. With a correct calibration, there would be much finer clues as to when a wing begins to stall, which could then be avoided by finely releasing some back pressure.

I have no big hope that addressing this issue with the developers will make them change the calibration, since support for this product seems to have all but ended. Maybe they will at least take notice for a sequel.

Should this discovery have any effect on club rules? In my opinion, no. It's a good thing to have the added difficulty of keeping the airplane within flyable limits (even though a bit artificially imposed by the game). It makes it harder, and in my opinion, more fun.

Opinions?

Last edited by MACADEMIC; 05-29-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:34 PM
Approved Member

hello mac

very interresting idea,hard but i think very good

i m interrested but after 1 month without play il2 i must train before if possible
and it will be ok to join u guys

hope the skies are good for u guys,good hunting guys
Old 05-27-2010, 03:47 PM
Approved Member

About the grading of Club games:

Since a major challenge of flying under Club Rules is to keep control of the aircraft and not crash, it makes sense not to rely on the (in my opinion already flawed) counting system the game provides. As a general rule: who dies less, wins. equal number of deaths results in a draw. This rule applies to all Club games in the nature of aerial battles, be it 1 vs 1 games or team battles, in whatever mode they are played. Excepted are true Capture Airfield and Strike Missions, where the party with the higher amount of remaining tickets wins. In these cases deaths are accounted for by a reduction of tickets, therefore stay true to the guiding principle of Club Rules.

Happy Flying!

MACADEMIC

Old 05-27-2010, 03:49 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olife View Post
hello mac

very interresting idea,hard but i think very good

i m interrested but after 1 month without play il2 i must train before if possible
and it will be ok to join u guys

hope the skies are good for u guys,good hunting guys
Yes my friend, we all missed you here and can't wait to have you back at IL-2!

Join us anytime, it's fun!

Hope to see you soon,

MAC