Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

Default How to use MW-50

I have been looking for information about the use of the MW-50 system installed on some German fighters. I have read that you only turn it on at or below 50 percent thottle or you can damage the engine (which I have done several times above that setting). 1. When can I use it? 2. How long can I keep it engaged? 3. At what power setting should I engage it. Any limitations, tips, or links would be great.

Thanks for the help
Old 04-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Approved Member

To use, just throttle down to 0, wait for the RPM's to go down, engage MW50. Now if you throttle up past 100% the MW50 will automatically work. You have about 30-35 minutes of use and the only thing that appears to stop you running your engine at 110% while you have MW50 is heat. It can ruin your engine when it runs out while still engaged.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

You only need to throttle down to at least 90% when in flight to engage WEP (in the Bf109s, for example), not 0 or 50 even, then slide the throttle back up to 110%. Also, engaging the MW-50 at 110% is what will automatically ruin the engine.

You can run it for about 1 minute (or a little less just to be safe) on overheat with WEP engaged.

Best used for initial climb to altitude, pulling the nose up and keeping speed at 270 km/h. Also useful for closing up behind an enemy or hightailing it and running away when in trouble.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmd80 View Post
I have been looking for information about the use of the MW-50 system installed on some German fighters. I have read that you only turn it on at or below 50 percent thottle or you can damage the engine (which I have done several times above that setting). 1. When can I use it? 2. How long can I keep it engaged? 3. At what power setting should I engage it. Any limitations, tips, or links would be great.

Thanks for the help
In game.

1. Use in combat, almost as a rule, due to some shortcomings it is not really recommendable to use on regular basis (regular flight)
2. Depends...
a) generally until you get "overheat" message, some time after that you must throttle back or your engine will get damaged. For instance if your Bf-109G10 engine is not cooled in 305 sec. after overheat message appeared, it will suffer damage, if your Bf-109G6AS engine is not cooled in 405 sec. after overheat message appeared, it will suffer damage
b) you have MW50 fluid enough for 26 minutes, in 99,99% cases you wont get to that limit, but if you do and MW50 fluid gets exhausted (you will notice power drop, engine rpm drop, and "MW50 engaged" disappears), immediately disengage - otherwise engine suffers
3. Engage without damage is possible on any throttle setting below 100%

Last edited by DKoor; 04-21-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:49 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmd80 View Post

Thanks for the help
Throttle must be set to allow manifold pressure to be below boost level, noted by white tick mark on gauge. This will work fine - but must snap throttle back to a low setting and engage it.

You can use it anytime, 109D-9 you can engage TWICE over 9000 meters and get NITROUS as well.

Length of time varies on plane, but generally 20-30 minutes I believe.

If you overheat reduce throttle or you will burn your motor.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Approved Member

The author of the last was completely right. Because there is a gauge right from the sight(something like the RPM), wich has two colored sectors,black - hidden by the sight, and orange; so you should engage the MW-50 system only in black sector(below the orange), if above you can damage your engine. Originally from the rules of the manuals - you can't fly with MW-50 engaged more then 10 minutes, but in the game this aspect differs from origin, I think. Also, from my personal observations, you can engage MW-50 with power above the black sector(or something 100%-110%) only one time, if you'll do it second time your engine will be damadged.