Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 08-31-2011, 08:30 AM
Tvrdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmiss View Post
What a hoot, statements like yours are like...

I can't walk to town any more, yet you don't tell anyone you don't have any legs.

You don't help your image when you make unqualified statements.

It is not a porked game...

Go here and watch this video

http://www.avsims.com/cfsim/content/...ain-kanalkampf

Follow up with this video

http://www.avsims.com/cfsim/content/day-adlertag

You just have problems and until you decide to deal with them, they aren't going to fix with rants and whines.
Im just having problems....thats hillarious...yea, with all my knowledge (HW and SW related) and experience (as beta tester), with my modern rig (i7 3.5Ghz, GTX470 TwinFrozr2 - core working on 750 Mhz, 6GB or RAM etc.), with all my knowledge regarding optimisation and tuning of the windows (to achieve better performance in games) your telling me this nonsense....
seriously, Do you really think CLOD is optimised well in its current state?
Do you really think extertnal engine sounds are better than stock il2 sounds and up to the standards of modern sims as is ROF or modded il2 46?
Do you really think the landscape is up to the standrads of modern sim with its super vivid colors?
Do you really think the AA is working as it should?
Do you really think its ok to sell this sim for 40 euros and then after the "bad news spread"...for just 15 bucks?
Do you really think that lack of (proper) communication with the community will help this sim?
Let me ask you, how many are playin this sim online?

I agree that FM is nice but what can I do if Im not able to play this with modern rig...Its always easier to blame "non competent" and "uneducated" customers...

and btw, Im wondering, what were the CLODs beta testers doing when they stressed this sim? Nobody noticed anything?

Last edited by Tvrdi; 08-31-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:46 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvrdi View Post
Do you really think extertnal engine sounds are better than stock il2 sounds and up to the standards of modern sims as is ROF or modded il2 46?
See the latest update. The original sounds were placeholder, if they weren't forced to release the game early we wouldn't have seen them used at all because they would have used the new sounds that we are about to get now. We wouldn't have been able to get a bit of early experience either though and maybe the entire sim would have been scrapped.

Quote:
Do you really think the landscape is up to the standrads of modern sim with its super vivid colors?
Again, see the latest update. Graphics engine is being redone.

Quote:
Do you really think the AA is working as it should?
Same as before.

Quote:
Do you really think its ok to sell this sim for 40 euros and then after the "bad news spread"...for just 15 bucks?
This was the same for IL2 as well and there wasn't no bad news spreading there. I've got every single boxed title in the IL2 series and many of those i got while i was a student. If i had enough spare money i would buy it right away, if i didn't i would just wait a month and get it for half price or less.

It's not about bad news, it's about simulators selling less than other game genres. My personal experience is completely at odds with what you describe, so for me the argument is invalid. Like i always say, not everyone shares the same experiences or opinion.

If full game price is too much to pay do like i used to do with IL2 during my student years: wait a couple of months or read a few reviews and the forums. Someone completely new to flight sims could have been deceived. Us people on this forum though had ample information about the state of the game (the Russian release had already happened and we knew what was wrong), so nobody can claim surprise and keep a straight face while doing it.

I can't feel sorry for people who have all the bad signs in front of them, decide to take a complete leap of faith despite that knowledge because of their impatience, then complain about their initially bad and mostly self-inflicted experiences for months after the cause of it has been mostly rectified. I just don't feel it, sorry, never have and never will. We got free choice, if people make bad choices it's their burden to bear, i'm not going to hold their hand on matters as trivial in the grand scheme of life as a video game.

Quote:
Do you really think that lack of (proper) communication with the community will help this sim?
There is communication alright, whenever something is ready they show it to us and tell us what's next.

Weekly updates just for the sake of it are useless if they don't have something to show that the majority here will understand. "Hey guys, we are currently optimizing the (insert overly technical terms here) for our dynamic weather/AI/flight modeling", how would that help anyone who's not a meteorologist, aircraft engineer or AI programmer? That's right, it wouldn't.

It would just have people going "Wow, i have no idea what that means but it sounds impressive, good to know they are working on it".
The only thing all of us can understand here is "working on it" and videos or screenshots of a finished feature. We wouldn't know anything more than we currently do until something complete was shown even if they gave weekly updates. If there's nothing marketable to show, an update is useless.

Quote:
Let me ask you, how many are playin this sim online?
Probably more people than the amount that used to play RoF during the first six months of its life. I distinctly remember the same kind of complaints on simHQ, with 15-20 people on the Syndicate server and not much on any other server. Funny you don't remember it, seeing as you were there during RoF's early days too

Quote:
I agree that FM is nice but what can I do if Im not able to play this with modern rig...Its always easier to blame "non competent" and "uneducated" customers...

and btw, Im wondering, what were the CLODs beta testers doing when they stressed this sim? Nobody noticed anything?
Valid points here. I don't know why it won't run well on your rig. It runs very well on mine and it's much weaker than your PC. Have you tried to turn down a few settings or are you one of the guys running textures at original size and expecting it not to get bogged down? That's the one single setting with the most impact in terms of FPS.

As to the beta testers, the situation is simple. Money over = release game. It happened with RoF too.

Long story short, make your own choice about buying the game, just don't drag the rest of us into supporting your viewpoint when it's clearly caused by self-inflicted errors and choosing things that were unsuitable for your enjoyment. CoD's problems are CoD's problems, paying $50 for an unfinished game when you had all the information you needed to avoid it is your problem and yours alone.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:21 AM
Approved Member

Blackdog, that's some rose tinted glasses you got there.
Some of what you is spot on but some is way off the mark mate.
We wasn't told it was a unfinished sim till after release, are you just deciding to forget some of the stuff we was told?
The show at Kiev= bad performance is because of a lack of RAM.
The epilepsy debacle.
nobody told us before release the sounds were a placeholder, same with the landscape colours and a host of other things.
Luthier has not spoken of FSAA since before the release and hasn't in this update.
Come on Blackdog, at least be fair and balanced with what you say, you make out the release and up to now has been plain sailing...it hasn't.
Don't you read the forums?

This patch is very welcome and im as excited as anyone, but this is just fixing what was broken and should of never been there in the first place and there is still a long way to go.

Last edited by furbs; 08-31-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:09 PM
Tvrdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt View Post
See the latest update. The original sounds gnjaaaghhh
dude, I was posting this BEFORE Luthier posted the latest news....gees....btw, Im still waiting for his word about optimisations...
Old 08-31-2011, 02:28 PM
Approved Member

"We also have a rather cool new major feature almost ready. It’s not going to make this patch. In order to keep the competitors squirming, we won’t say what it is until we’re ready to release it."

First time I've seen Luthier use this term (Oleg yes - Luthier no).

Yes, Luthier does have a competitor. Wonder if he'll be having dinner again with him soon?

S!

Gunny
Warthog and U2Nxt Cougar under t.a.r.g.e.t
Old 08-31-2011, 03:39 PM
Approved Member

After reading all of this, hearing Jason's comment, thinking about it a few days, re-reading all the comments here, this is what I gather from the situation.

They gave Oleg 6 1/2 years to get something together and spent millions. Don't know why they gave him so much dev. time, I wouldn't have given them so much time and I like the people and the project.

Either Oleg was just soooooo picky and it never lived up to his "dream" or after 6 years of his life and diffrent things that he personally went through he just got tired/uninspired to work on the project any longer.

So whatever the situation the project was dumped in Luthier's lap and given 6 months to complete a sim that was never near completion (I think they probably did a number of RE-Writes to various portions and just never progressed out or "early alpha".

So all in all, I think Luthier is doing a good job. Maybe someone could give us a update a little more often, but then again there might not be much to offer over a weeks time. Other than still working on it.

Well thats just trying to look at it from many perspectives.

Greg
Old 08-31-2011, 03:58 PM
Global Moderator

The COD team is still working on the application. IMO, that is as good as it gets.

I'm half way around the world, can I change anything? Can you? Can we?

Maybe we can with encouragement and being more patient. When I look at the videos made by BarFly I realize this is going to be one fabulous air combat sim when the dev pulls it together. I'm as anxious as every one of you, and have been for over six years.

The video is friggin' awesome, and it's made with Cliffs of Dover by BarFly Simulations.

Last edited by nearmiss; 08-31-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:17 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmiss View Post

The video is friggin' awesome, and it's made with Cliffs of Dover.
Oh. My. Word.

I'm actually quite speechless...AMAZING video! How did they get the pilots to animate like that??
Old 08-31-2011, 04:44 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
Oh. My. Word.

I'm actually quite speechless...AMAZING video! How did they get the pilots to animate like that??
At the end of the video, read his credits. He used animation software Daz and Poser, which animate human like characters very well.

It still takes talent to know how to place the characters into the video.

Yes, I agree BarFly has done some very excellent video. A real contribution to our community.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:07 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furbs View Post
Blackdog, that's some rose tinted glasses you got there.
Some of what you is spot on but some is way off the mark mate.
We wasn't told it was a unfinished sim till after release, are you just deciding to forget some of the stuff we was told?
The show at Kiev= bad performance is because of a lack of RAM.
The epilepsy debacle.
nobody told us before release the sounds were a placeholder, same with the landscape colours and a host of other things.
Luthier has not spoken of FSAA since before the release and hasn't in this update.
Come on Blackdog, at least be fair and balanced with what you say, you make out the release and up to now has been plain sailing...it hasn't.
Don't you read the forums?

This patch is very welcome and im as excited as anyone, but this is just fixing what was broken and should of never been there in the first place and there is still a long way to go.
I'm not going by what they said, i'm going by what was common knowledge since the Russian release (not the gaming expo in Moscow, the actual March 25th release): there were some very specific issues that everybody here knew about within the first couple of days, because
a) some Russian fellows came here to post about it and
b) some western fellows were willing to spend $15 to buy the Russian version as a sneak preview while waiting for the EU release and they also told us all about it.

I distinctly remember it because i was on the verge of cancelling my pre-order and waiting for the first couple of patches, although i'm glad that i didn't cancel eventually. It's not in my imagination and if i wasn't a little bit pressed for time right now i would gladly go dig up the relevant threads and post the links here. CoD's initial problems were common knowledge alright, at least for us who frequent this here forum. Choosing to ignore the signs is a case of personal choices and outcomes first and foremost.

As for the sounds, in one of the Friday updates there was a small video showcasing the exhaust flame effects. There was a Spitfire next to a hangar, it would start up and the exhaust stacks were belching some flames and smoke. The video was clearly marked as "exhaust effects with placeholder sounds" and guess what it sounded like? The sounds that initially shipped with the sim