Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:16 PM
Approved Member

Default A few noob questions that could resume common issues...:-)

/////Posted in technical forum too as Im not sure where to post it////

Hi all mates, I have just buy the game and I have some questions that its hard to resolve by searching and/or are too old to find info and could be very useful for newer users like me and to resume some common issues/general questions so hope you can help us a bit...here I go:

Graphics/performance:

I have i5 2500k 4,4Ghz/2x6870 Xfire 1 gb/8gb RAM 1600/1tb 7200rpm 64mb cache...

-I have set all to max settings except SSAO (I use SMAA injector in ultra with no AA checked from game menu) and I can see my fps is quite lock at 60fps (vsync on of course, otherwise I get lots of stutterings even with one card) and smooth as silk until I reach very low flight over trees, then the ground stutters like crazy...as soon as I elevete a bit everything gets silk smooth. I have tried disabling grass with no result so...is there something I can do to solve this?? its the most annoying problem of all for me...

-Ground shadows flickers a lot!!!! they seem to be of very low res...is there any way to change/solve/improve that????

-Planes skin res is very low even with maxed textures (original)...I cant see any HIGH res skin out there...is there any way to improve that???

-Propeller animation seems corrupted or something for every plane I fly (im not talking about prop reflection effect, wich I actually like)...its like the prop stops spinning a fraction of a second every few seconds and makes many flickers...THIS IS VERY ANNOYING!!!. Can I solve this???I found something about this but not a lot and finally w/ a solution...

-Stick animation movement is very choppy like its running at very low fps when my fps are very high...any solution??(my USB and HOTAS is working perfectly fine)

Game controls:

-I cant find a way to MOVE my head inside the cockpit like done with trakIR, I mean I can turn my head but not MOVE it up, down, right and left no matter what conbination of keys I push in the mouse?¿?¿?¿?

-In the external view...how the hell can I get closer or the opposite from the plane, I mean NOT changing the FOV or zooming but MOVING the cam near the plane?¿?¿?¿?I have tried a lot of conbinations with no succes...

Weather:

-I have seen some screens with a nice "morning" haze/fog in the ground...how can I set that weather?¿?¿? I can only see the amount of clouds and its base altitude???thats all I can configure for a free flight???

-Sun glare effect seems too hard...is there a way to lower it???

Many thanks to all Im loving this sim and sorry for my poor english mates!!!!
Old 02-26-2013, 02:48 PM
Approved Member

Your hat switch should work for all view changes by default, up, down, right left, etc . Also all the number keys on your keypad. Check in your Options for other key assignments too.

On my board, the Delete / End / Page Down keys jump the exterior view zoom in and out pre set amounts.

Also holding down the center mouse button/wheel lets you rotate the view freely and holding center and right mouse button let you zoom freely. The 5 or / keys on the keypad will reset the view

If you have some favorite key combos just set them up in Options but take a look at the existing key assignments first so you don't mess some things up that you will have to undo later

Last edited by lorenzoj; 02-26-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:20 PM
Approved Member

I posted an answer for you in your other thread waterman.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:46 PM
Approved Member

Many thanks mate!!...anyway, I might not explained myself well...

-About zooming in external cam:

The problem here is that I dont want to make a "ZOOM" (change focal lenght of a cam at a given distance) but change the DISTANCE itself to the plane or objet at the same focal lenght (zoom or FOV)...how can I do that in CoD???

-About looking in cockpit:

I can erfectly look around the cockpit with my joy hat...what I want is the 6 DOF...I mean MOVING the head of the pilot up, down, right, left, forward and backwards (not zooming)

hope its clear now...

Many thanks for your reply...im going to see your other reply Osprey!!!!

Last edited by watermanpc; 02-26-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:59 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermanpc View Post
Many thanks mate!!...anyway, I might not explained myself well...

-About zooming in external cam:

The problem here is that I dont want to make a "ZOOM" (change focal lenght of a cam at a given distance) but change the DISTANCE itself to the plane or objet at the same focal lenght (zoom or FOV)...how can I do that in CoD???

-About looking in cockpit:

I can erfectly look around the cockpit with my joy hat...what I want is the 6 DOF...I mean MOVING the head of the pilot up, down, right, left, forward and backwards (not zooming)

hope its clear now...

Many thanks for your reply...im going to see your other reply Osprey!!!!

Welcome!...you remind very much of El Arbol, a pleasant chap.

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 02-26-2013, 04:16 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipBall View Post
Welcome!...you remind very much of El Arbol, a pleasant chap.
Im sorry but I missed something???
Old 02-26-2013, 04:37 PM
Approved Member

No, its just that the writing style is so similar and makes it easy to understand.

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 02-26-2013, 04:48 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermanpc View Post

-Propeller animation seems corrupted or something for every plane I fly (im not talking about prop reflection effect, wich I actually like)...its like the prop stops spinning a fraction of a second every few seconds and makes many flickers...THIS IS VERY ANNOYING!!!. Can I solve this???I found something about this but not a lot and finally w/ a solution...
I think this is related to Vsync ON - turn then OFF.
ON cause issues in use TOOLS over map too - at least for me.

Quote:
-I cant find a way to MOVE my head inside the cockpit like done with trakIR, I mean I can turn my head but not MOVE it up, down, right and left no matter what cobination of keys I push in the mouse?¿?¿?¿?
Hiting F10 you can use mouse to look around - but loose abillity to clik in cockpit controls.
In nornal mode hold middle mouse botton allow the same thing.

Combining this and key (need assign) "Hold to adjust field of view" you can lean left/right front/back (until things go psychedelic).

This allow, for example, see Spitfire/Hurri compass without obstruction.

Alternative, use trd part soft JoyToKey* and make this "mouse view" with POV HAT.

Another key to assign is "hold to zoom FOV" - this only slight insight of cockpit, slight.

Maybee all this is not what you desire, 6DOF, but is what is available in CloD.

Quote:

-In the external view...how the hell can I get closer or the opposite from the plane, I mean NOT changing the FOV or zooming but MOVING the cam near the plane?¿?¿?¿?I have tried a lot of conbinations with no succes...
With the above key "Hold to adjust point of view" and mouse Y movement you can do a big "zoom" In, and a pysicodelic "zoom" out.

Quote:

Weather:

-I have seen some screens with a nice "morning" haze/fog in the ground...how can I set that weather?¿?¿? I can only see the amount of clouds and its base altitude???thats all I can configure for a free flight???
This "fog" is a "trademark" of IL-2 series - exist since the first 2001 version.
In CloD, in last patchs are exchange for "performance", include searchlighs light in this list too...

You can play with wheater in FMB using wheater object, with more advanced Clouds, winds (you can set a hurricane), but this is unfinished (as the rest...)

*If you dont have a stick/HOTAS with advance programing software, like TARGET, CH Commander, Saitek SST... Ifd have do the same in then.

Sokol1

Last edited by Sokol1; 02-26-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:27 PM
Approved Member

Many thanks Sokol!!

-About the prop problem...well I have tried disabling Vsync, and unfortunatelly the problem stills there...anyway, I CANT disable vsync because if so, the game stutters like crazy so...any other idea??? am I the only one with this problem or what?¿?¿?

-My problem with the cockpit cam is that I want to do the movement shown in this video on 1m 32sec:

that LATERAL movement is what I cant do...how can I do that whitout a trakIR?¿?¿?¿?I played long ago on a friends house to CoD (without TrackIR) and I remember that we could do that...

-For the external view, I DONT want to do a "zoom" I just want to get phisically closer to the plane...

-Nice to know about the haze, will test then...

I have been out of the sim world (and CoD) for a bit long, so I have missed a lot of things then, Im interested too in knowing if they changed(lowered) the quality of the land shading with respect to older game versions/patches???hows that now?? because I would say that in some screens/videos I have seen, the land at dusk/dawn seem more "beautiful" like a nicer hazed horizont and a more misty land...right know it still being amazing fliying at 18:00h (best looking terrain for me ever!!) but I would say that it looked beter before, dont know...even the planes seems diferent with a worse quality shader?¿?¿? is me??or Im right??...the shadows (at least in cockpit) look good, but I would say that now they have less resolution than before, as the sight light effect, wich seem different and worse...

Bye mates!!!

Last edited by watermanpc; 02-27-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:17 PM
Approved Member

[QUOTE=watermanpc;498563]

-About the prop problem...well I have tried disabling Vsync, and unfortunatelly the problem stills there...anyway, I CANT disable vsync because if so, the game stutters like crazy so...any other idea??? am I the only one with this problem or what?¿?¿?

Sorry, I mystype about this, the problem occurs (to me) with Vsync OFF.

Quote:
-My problem with the cockpit cam is that I want to do the movement shown in this video on 1m 32sec:

http:// www.youtube.com /watch?v=5Ul3Qebg1rE"

that LATERAL movement is what I cant do...how can I do that whitout a trakIR?¿?¿?¿?
With key that you assigned to "Hold to adjust FOV" + mouse movements.

Go do Controls > Camera and check if are key assigned.

Quote:
-For the external view, I DONT want to do a "zoom" I just want to get phisically closer to the plane...
Well, what game provide is Adjust FOV an (small) ZOOM with mouse and specific keys ...

Quote:
I have been out of the sim world (and CoD) for a bit long, so I have missed a lot of things then, Im interested too in knowing if they changed(lowered) the quality of the land shading with respect to older game versions/patches???hows that now?? because I would say that in some screens/videos I have seen, the land at dusk/dawn seem more "beautiful" like a nicer hazed horizont and a more misty land...right know it still being amazing fliying at 18:00h (best looking terrain for me ever!!) but I would say that it looked beter before, dont know...even the planes seems diferent with a worse quality shader?¿?¿? is me??or Im right??...the shadows (at least in cockpit) look good, but I would say that now they have less resolution than before, as the sight light effect, wich seem different and worse...
What you observe is correct.
In resume, the graphics are lowered with lastest (oficial and final) patchs.
Is expected to be restored/improved by Team Fusion at some moment in future.

Sokol1

Last edited by Sokol1; 02-27-2013 at 05:19 PM.