Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Space Rangers

Space Rangers The lavish mix of an intense space RPG with 3D real-time strategy.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:24 AM
Registered Member

Default DRM Making Me Think Twice

Hi All

Firstly apologies for my lack of tech smarts. Hopefully the following won't be too stupid a question.

I've had "SR2" for a while, but haven't played in ages since I used to run it on my old PC and never got around to reinstalling after I upgraded.

Now I fancy having another crack at it and have been reading that "SR2" is now DRM free. But clearly my creaky copy is still going to have it on there.

I have to be honest and say that when I first installed "SR2" I knew little or nothing about DRM (erm...as opposed to now right?! ) and in my uninformed innocence I happily installed away and frankly I never had, or realized if I was having, any related issues or problems.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing of course and now looking back at the various issues my old PC did have, eventually leading to its retirement, I can't help but wonder how many, if any of them were due to DRM from this and that program, installed by me never realizing I might be hurting my old beige friend.

Regardless, these days I'm much more reluctant to take risks with my current machine and it's a shame because I'm missing out on some great gaming from my old collection.

So is there anything I can do to make my copy of "SR2" Badger friendly?

I do remember playing one title, which might have been one of the "Silent Hunter" range and a tech savvy friend of mine giving me something to run once it was installed (as long as I didn't play it first) which got rid of the DRM before it ever got a chance to get into my PC.

Of course the joke there is that I was blithely running who knows what already and so this DRM was no doubt already there anyway!

Now though I run a much cleaner ship and would like to stay that way. Any advice much appreciated.

Badger
Old 05-31-2011, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

Hi Guys

Just in case any of you are looking on and thinking.. "Yes, I was wondering that also"......

In the absence of any comments from you fellas yet, I continued to search the web for ideas and have ended up buying "SR2 Reboot" from Amazon as it really looks as though there's no avoiding "Starforce" on my old copy.

I didn't start off with the idea of buying it again (quite the opposite in fact) but the more I thought about it the more I fancied having another go and Amazon only want a fiver for it. Plus this edition has extra bits over and above my original anyway.

So, I'd say thanks for the help, but.... Well I bet you were all about to leap in and I beat you too it. Consider this one cased closed.

All the best
Badger